Ride the cap.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Nov 14, 2017.

1. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I read a post on here about ridding the cap. I can’t find it now but I tried it tonight on my face and neck. I left my head alone for now. Wow can I talk about smooth and I didn’t even feel anything on my face. My neck was a different story. I nicked the hell out of it. I’m glad I have a alum block lol. I think I will keep trying to improve my RTC skills Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, riding the cap tamed the Old Type for me. Before I had heard about it, shaving with an OT was very dangerous for me. Also, the Gem SE razors suggest the same procedure, let the cap touch the cheek.

wristwatchb and James_P like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

http://theshaveden.com/forums/index.php?threads/51048/

Skin stretching is how comfy neck shaves are had. Nice work today!

wristwatchb and James_P like this.
  4. James_P

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Good luck with it! Don't shave your neck! That's right... Just ride the cap and try to barely wipe the lather off your stretched skin. See if that gives you less irritation.

James_P, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:

James_P likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    One more trick that helps with irritation is shaving with cold water. That's right, cold water. Just don't touch the hot water tap. Use only the water from the cold side. I know many like the feel of hot water, but hot water does start the irritation process. Ever notice how red your skin gets in a hot shower? I've been doing the cold water shave for years now. I do it year round. Between riding the cap and CWS, I don't have irritation.
    Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

8. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Also, do your neck touchup AFTER the Alum; it makes stretching the skin easier to avoid nicks.

9. swarden43

Cold water will make your skin red, also, as the blood rushes to the surface in an attempt to warm the skin.
    Ever notice those rosy cheeks after coming inside from a cool, crisp day?

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Cold water works for me. I think hot water dries you skin faster which might be why some people, including myself, don't get comfortable shaves with hot water.

11. swarden43

I was just playing devil's advocate. As I say, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way. :)

GatorJoe likes this.
  12. James_P

Hahah I guess I will try cold water. I live in Florida so cold water is more like lukewarm water lol. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missing Lynx likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You pretty much have to try everything at least once. I ride the cap on some parts of my face, but not on others. Cold water for me is uncomfortable with no improvement in shave quality, so I tend to like it hot or at least warm. I bowl lather.
    Experimenting is part of the fun and the pain of "traditional" shaving. Once you get "your" method down an irritation free, close shave can be had anytime with just about anything.:)