Rockclimber Reviews 200 Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rockclimber, Sep 16, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

You are able to get consistent and nice-looking lathers! Each picture looks very similar, even down to the last painting strokes. I admire your consistency! Thanks for the reviews. They're fun to follow!

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  2. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

I have heard of it and perhaps it was in the @dfoulk passaround box but don't remember actually using it... let me go Google it real quick.

Nope, I guess I haven't used it yet or if I did I completely forgot about it. It sounds like a pretty simple yet solid soap in terms of ingredients and has a low amount of Babassu Oil instead of Coconut Oil which I know you will like. Dr. Jon went over to Babassu Oil instead of coconut oil as well. I do like his new recipe better for it.

Jeeves of Hudson Street Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Tallow, Babassu Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Fragrance and/or Essential Oils and Glycerin.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  3. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Thanks again for continuing your soap threads over here on TSD. It is cool seeing how the different razors affect your shaves when the soap remains the same.

Also, I have another soap request for you. Besides the French soaps that I mentioned previously, I would love to see you do a three razor review of Tabac. The last time you mentioned it in your thread over on the other forum you gave it an 8.8. I would love to know if your opinion has changed. I am curious because I am participating in Tabactober and am loving it. I think I like it better than Sudsy Soapery, but I am going to have to revisit SS to be sure. I haven't tried that many soaps yet, but I think Tabac might be the best soap that I have used so far, although it doesn't have quite as nice of a post-shave feel as Mystic Water it takes less time to lather.

Straight razor dandy and PLAla like this.
  4. Rockclimber

Absolutely, I love Tabac and my last review when I declared it "king of tallow shave soap" no more I may have been too hard on it. For $9 on Amazon it will be difficult to dethrone this behemoth of a soap. I do have 2 passaround boxes going on right now so I am looking at a month out at least before I get back to Tabac. I'll do PdP and Tabac around the same time for you brother.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Tabac is dynamite!

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Rockclimber

XPEC
    Merkur 38c barberpole Astra SP (2)

This stuff is unobtainable now so I used as little as I possibly could and went for very thin lathers. I had read a bit about low water tolerance and too much water killing this so I started out very dry shaved a little added more water shaved a little added more water Exedra until slickness hit 9.3/10

2016-10-19 22.38.05.jpg
    2016-10-19 22.37.51.jpg

Too dry here.
    Slickness 7/10
    Residual slickness 5/10

After adding around 10 milliliters of water I was able to achieve excellent slickness. Even though it looks like the lather is right on the verge of breaking down I had fantastic cushion.
    2016-10-19 22.37.41.jpg

Slickness 9.3/10

Residual slickness 9/10

Cushion 8.5/10

Moisturizing 8.5/10

Scent 9/10

Overall 9/10

This has very tight water tolerances and if I was to shave with this for a full week I am confident the score could improve quite a bit. I am very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to try this and I appreciate that. It is a very very close shave with good moisturizing and excellent slickness.

I wish I had the opportunity to shave with a more aggressive razor because I have a feeling this soap would do poorly with a very aggressive razor but that is something I will not get the chance to do and only speculation on my part. I do however think this would be a fantastic straight razor shave in the hands of an expert.

The scent is deep and complex with a lot of woods and cedar but I don't detect pepper like many people do. I know it's a love it or hate it smell and I really enjoyed the complexity. I don't understand half of the ingredients in this soap but I am sure I will be researching this over the next few months.

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis, Parfum, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rosehip Oil, Calendula Extract, Ivy Extract, Gingko Bilboa, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool, Benzyl benzoate, Citronellol, Limonene, Evernia Prunastri Extract and Treemos

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  7. Rockclimber

Shannons Soaps Barbershop
    Merkur 38c barberpole Astra SP (3)
    2016-10-20 22.05.43.jpg
    2016-10-20 22.05.27.jpg

Slickness 8.5/10

Residual Slickness 7.5/10

Cushion 9/10 typical tallow and kokum cushion. This is my type of soap.

Moisturizing 8.5/10

Scent 9/10

Overall 8.5/10

I think this soap suffers from what my early versions of soap suffered from which was unsaponified kokum and other Butters which reduces slickness. While it has good slickness it's not fantastic over-the-top like some other soap but the cushion is great as a result. I do see KOH spots in the soap but that happens sometimes. I love the scent, it is a sweeter Barbershop and my wife likes it which is a huge plus.

8. Rockclimber

Barrister and Mann Roam
    Merkur 38c barberpole Astra SP (4)
    2016-10-22 15.38.19.jpg
    2016-10-22 15.38.08.jpg
    2016-10-22 15.37.57.jpg

Slickness 8.5/10 from experience a brand new blade raises this to 9/10 easily

Residual slickness 8.5/10

Cushion 9/10

Moisturizing 9/10

Scent -2/10

Overall 8.8/10 not counting scent

You know that smell of getting into a car with a completely full ashtray of two-week-old cigarettes right after a rain creating the perfect cloud of humid rank cigarette Ash? This is Roam. Many of my online friends love the smell so I had to give it one more try but there's just no way I can ever shave with this again. This is my absolute last shave with Roam.

The performance is standard Barrister and Mann. I'm one of those Shavers that detects a very small Improvement in their new Glissant Base. Does it add residual slickness? Yes it does but it's not a big enough difference that I would go out and buy every new scent in the new base. I think the white label was perfectly fine and the Latha line was an unnecessary drop in performance. From what I have read Latha was created for Shavers that are allergic to lanolin and that makes sense to have a soap that is lanolin free, I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of that. Will knows what he is doing and many of you really like the new line and the smell of Roam so he's doing something right!

9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Respectfully disagree on Roam scent! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. Rockclimber

Pure2O DFS edition.
    2016-10-24 21.02.52.jpg

I deleted the lather pictures accidentally since I had so many on my phone. It was standard PannaCrema quality so it looked really good. I started off shaving with an Astra SP on its sixth Shave which proved to be too much for it so I switched to a new feather.

Slickness 8.5/10

Residual slickness 8/10

Cushion 7.5/10 I may have been too aggressive because the lather seems very thick and luxurious but I did get three weepers. I might be out of practice with PannaCrema.

Moisturizing 9/10

Scent 7/10

Overall 8/10 a shockingly low score for one of my favorite soaps. I would love to try it again with a feather on its second shave but it's time to move on to the next soap.

11. Rockclimber

2016-10-24 21.28.04.jpg

Too tired for a full review tonight I have to get up for work at 5 tomorrow but I'll update it from the road good night everyone

12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

What about the scent??

I got old spice from it

13. dkeester

Safe travels, Ben.

champagneinhand likes this.
  14. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

If you want to test out Lisa's homemade small batch Tabac and Bay, shoot me a PM. She sent me a sample size with my last order. I have a full 3 pucks of this scent. It's awesome and very small batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rockclimber

Work and family life has been hectic so I haven't updated here but I have been taking photos and mental reviews. First up:
    2016-10-30 20.06.21.jpg
    2016-10-30 20.06.33.jpg
    The scent is amazing and I really like the color that they were able to achieve. The slickness is great but it feels to me like a glycerin soap. This definitely has no tallow and isn't one of the fluffy yogurt like lathers that I'm looking for.

Slickness 9/10

Residual slickness 9.2/10

Cushion 6/10

Moisturizing 8/10

Scent 8/10

Overall 7.9/10

AOS ocean kelp

2016-10-30 20.06.48.jpg

Wow, like really wow! This one blew my socks off it was so nice. The consistency is not very thick but it still takes a very small amount to create mounds of Lather. One of my favorites for sure.
    2016-10-30 20.07.22.jpg

Slickness 9.3/10

Residual slickness 9.3/10

Cushion 9/10

Moisturizing 9.5/10

Scent 9/10

Overall 9.3/10

2016-10-30 20.07.35.jpg

I used an almond size amount like I always do with a cream and I was unable to get any lather from this whatsoever. It just went on my face like an oil. I was confused but didn't want to lather in the bowl as it is a sample so I am unable to review this. Perhaps if you lather directly on the puck you will get a good shave but you will be using several grams I am sure.
    The scent was fantastic though so it's a real bummer!

champagneinhand, Demidog and youngunn like this.
  16. Rockclimber

2016-10-30 20.08.14.jpg

I have reviewed SS several times here so no need to go into that again but I will say that this is one of my favorite Brands and I cannot believe that it is discontinued. It has so much cushion and so much slickness it's really hard to beat.

17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Suavecito made made shaving soap. I only know them through their pomade.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think about glycerin soaps in general? I've used one that lathered really well and smelled great, and the only thing that was lacking was conditioning post-shave feel.

champagneinhand and Rockclimber like this.
  18. Rockclimber

I agree with you, they tend to smell good if well done but lack cushion and post-shave conditioning feel. The slickness is great but I would rather use a tallow or good veggie soap that has slickness, cushion and conditioning.

Demidog and champagneinhand like this.
  19. dkeester

I am also a fan of the AoS creams. Their scents are great and the performance is really good.

20. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

Glycerin soaps are actually made from Tallow along with NaOH.
    They work well with straights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk