Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

This is unbelievable. Another hiccup and delay...... No end.

[​IMG]
    posted by Gareth Everard

May 4, 2018 • 9:00AM PDT

April Update - Shipping Updates & Final Adjustments

Dear Backers,

Thank you for your patience while we prepared this most recent update. As you know, assembly and shipping has continued this past month, and we’ve been thrilled to see the additional positive reviews posted on YouTube, Kickstarter comments, online forums, and those shared directly with us by email.

While nearly all the feedback we’ve received has been overwhelmingly positive, we heard from a small number of backers (less than 2%) that had received their early Model T that they were observing varying blade gap issues. The issues identified were of the blade either being more exposed on one side of the razor head than the other, or with a slight variance in blade gap.

This issue was concerning enough to us that we paused the assembly and production of the razors to investigate, as we’d not seen these results in our most recent test assemblies. This pause allowed us to confer with our manufacturing partners, engineering team, and assembly team to get to the root cause of why this dimensionality issue was occurring.

In the Model T, it is the T-Bar that centers the razor blade in the razor's head. This T-Bar sits in a housing (a shaft that runs through the razor). If the diameter of the T-Bar Rod is too small at a critical intersection point, the T-Bar Rod does not sit tightly in the shaft and can “lean” slightly towards one side causing a small variance in blade gap. In our current design the T-Bar is made up of two parts. What we have found is that in mass production, when we press fit these two parts together, in a small sample of razors we are seeing a slight variability in the diameter of the T-Bar Rod at the critical point of intersection with the Safety Bar.

linked_image.jpg
    The two components of the two-piece T-Bar, the T-Bar Head and the T-Bar Rod

linked_image(2).jpg

The subassembled two piece T-bar

linked_image(3).jpg

The issues we’re discussing above are so small that they would not be noticeable, nor would they impact shaving performance in any meaningful way for 95%+ of our backers, in the case where they happen to receive a razor that exhibited a small blade gap variance. However, if there’s any potential issue with the Rockwell Model T that even only the most discerning shaving enthusiasts may notice, we’re committed to addressing that issue. In our prior Kickstarter campaigns, we’re learned from the experience the importance of getting the product totally right for you, our backers.

We’ve been working with our entire team over the last week to decide the best way to proceed. Firstly, our engineers increased our design specification for the minimum diameter for the T-Bar Rod through the critical point. Next, we’re introducing a
    "go / no-go" tool to measure the diameter of the T-Bar Rod at the critical point in production. Thirdly, we are pursuing two fixes to the T-Bar diameter issue in parallel. We are producing a new batch of two-piece T-Bar Heads with a larger diameter in the critical point. This is a design that works and that our manufacturing partner can produce reliably. We are also producing a new one-piece T-Bar design. The one-piece T-Bar would eliminate the variability in the subassembly step, however until we see that our manufacturing partner can produce the ambitious one-piece T-Bar reliably, we can’t commit to this design as final. In the mean time we can continue limited production with the T-Bars that pass the new larger minimum diameter for the T-Bar Rod through the critical point

What does this mean for backers?

Over the coming weeks, we will continue to ship razors that meet the newly-identified specification. However, given the large number of backers, most of you we will need to wait for the production and delivery of the new T-Bars with the larger diameter. That means a small number of White Chrome razors continuing to ship over the next 60 to 90 days with a large increase in production with the arrival of the new T-Bars and the majority of razors shipping throughout the later part of the summer. We’re expecting that this piece will be complete manufacturing by July and that we’ll be able to complete the remaining shipping by the end of August, 2018. However, as mentioned above, we will continue assembly as of next week and will continue be shipping the razors that meet specifications.

We certainly understand that this modification and delay could be frustrating to backers eagerly awaiting their razor. We appreciate that some time has passed between the original estimated ship date and today, and we sincerely thank you for your support and patience. As always, we want to remind our backers that unlike a typical Kickstarter campaign, we offer full refunds at any time if you are no longer interested in pledging your support to the development of this product.

Thank you again for all your ongoing support,

The Rockwell Razors Team

RyX and blashe like this.
  2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Does this mean they'll have Model T's (version 1) out with three different designs? The current one, one with a larger diameter for the T-Bar rod and finally, one with a redesigned one-piece T-bar head assembly? If I were still in it, I would hold my breath and wait for the final design.

To their credit, they're finding the issues and coming up with solutions. But if less than 2% of the razors have this problem, I wonder why they don't QC the errant razors out and ship the other 98+%? If those that pass inspection are perfect shavers, as they claim, they could make the design changes in Model T-2. Or is this a problem that could manifest over time? (these are not rhetorical questions, I really do not understand).

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'm out

RaZorBurn123 and DesertTime like this.
  4. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I work in manufacturing, and this is a familiar song for me (with respect to product design changes and hiccups).

R&D, prototype, test, analyze & update. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get to a stable configuration.

If nothing else, I applaud the effort in trying to bring a clean-sheet design to the market.

RyX, PLANofMAN and DesertTime like this.
  5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

from what I understand he is pointing out don't expect the Model T to have proper blade alignment or and blade gap, but he also claims that the issue is so small that 95% of wetshavers wont be bothered by it. I will include a video I found on YT and if anyone is curious regarding the blade gap issue just pause it at 1:07

I can not tell from the video regarding if the blade aligns properly with the safety bar. They say the problem is with the T-bar due to being press fitted (2 pieces) with via heat and gluing perhaps and this is why the T-bar is wonky tonky... Possible fixes:

1. Produce 1 piece T-bar Problems: Don't know if they can do this nor they don't know if it will actually be better fitment than the 2 piece
    2. Start sending out razors with the current T-bar design and hope and pray that people wont get irritation and skin burn while shaving because.... well look at the video at 1:07, that gap reminds me of the Russian made wanna be Gillette Slim.
    3. Release price for zinc/brass/SS razor that has issues will be $200? Looks like the Parthenon razor will be the end of the Model T and most likely will cost less than $50 at release.

My conclusion:

1. So glad I dropped off the KS while they changed materials and I joined and committed for the Rex Ambassador at $180 price tag
    2. I'm also glad that they ditched they all brass design, if they are having this many issues with zinc, oh men... all brass design would of gotten the blade looking like slant in all 4 directions...
    3. Somehow I think they might of gotten way better result going the MIM SS route, looks like that would of been better and more precise choice and they need accuracy for this razor.... Also they would of kept USA manufacturer busy not just with the 6S but with the Model T also, people would of pay the extra cost or they should of just started the KS with SS MIM + minor milling.
    4. I still own the 6S and enjoy the shaves it gives me, I would like to cheer them for the Model T also, too bad I'm all out of pompoms.

DesertTime likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

That's the issue with KS projects, the company is trying to run R&D and mass production at the same time because they have taken the pledges and they are on a tight timeline...

RaZorBurn123, DesertTime and montieg like this.
  7. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I give up. I'm tired of the waiting and their half-azzed excuses. I'm going for the Parthenon instead. At least its being made by people who know what they're doing. Now I have to try and see if I can get a refund. Judging by the way Rockwell runs their business it may be difficult.

RaZorBurn123 and Str8on2 like this.
  8. DesertTime

ow
    The blade gap issue was apparent in their release photos in Janauary. I was surprised they released those photos.
    More problematic to me is a difference in blade exposure. Depending on how severe it is, if its anything like the first Parker TTO, it can be pretty serious. If the blade on one side of the razor comes past the edge of the safety bar and you're not prepared for it, it will tear you face up.

I thought it was interesting how almost dismissive Rockwell was of the problems, as if those that brought it to their attention were nit picking. Their attitude is it's not a "real" problem but they'll fix it anyway, just so they can release a perfect razor.

I also find it curious that this late in their release/ship cycle, I haven't seen anyone excited about receiving their razor, let alone reviewing it.
    I expected Rockwell of spinning BS back last spring and early summer. They were tripping over their own rhetoric and some things they said didn't make sense. Time has just reinforced my perception of their leadership.

Frijolero and Str8on2 like this.
  9. Str8on2

You shouldn't have a problem with getting a refund from Rockwell. At least they are right on one thing if nothing else, they will issue you a return on your pledge. Hopefully all of it.

Strong words and statement. But I can't say I disagree with anything you've said. It's almost nonchalant to be honest.
    I jumped off once before and got my refund in full sometime last year once the news sprang out that the S/S was not a viable production option for Rockwell (to expensive to produce, profit margins reduced - wink, wink).

Then Indiegogo jumped in and had their campaign with Rockwell's blessing and me being the shave idiot that I am, I jumped right in it again. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, but noooo...... I got sucked back in and said "Self, what the heck" and I pledged again, stupid me.

Lesson learned. You want to deposit all your belief and confidence in an upstart company in producing a viable and usable product. I mean, that's all that everyone wants in todays world. Root for the little guy to succeed and grow as a company and that does not take for granted the faith and trust that the consumer public is depositing in them.

I'm in until I get the Model T in my hands. No turning back a second time unfortunately. My point is this: No more backing Rockwell for any future endeavors for me. Wait patiently until all issues are ironed out. Lesson learned........:angry032: :shocked029:

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I like this post. I like the fact that you have just pretty much remained neutral and factual through this whole creationy/abortion/nightmare thingy.

I got out early on in the process. I think, having followed the whole original 6 Kickstarter, that Garett is a guy with integrity, and backers are either gonna get a razor, or $.23 on the dollar and Garett will be dirt broke for a period of time. I feel like as a shaving community, we were so happy to get the finalized 6S/C, and it turned out one of the best razors I have ever used, that maybe we cut Rockwell too much slack from a business perspective.

Real life doesn’t just keep offering extensions. I really think Rockwell is screwed with crowdfunding after this one.

11. Str8on2

A shame really. Deep inside I believe that Gareth and the Rockwell Team want to provide a flawless product that is without fault. And I commend them on their efforts. But it should not ride on the constant manipulation and redirects of "minor production issues" as they word it and expect backers/consumers just to take a deep breath and swallow your castor oil.

Kickstarter Campaigns do not guarantee the complete start to finish projects by any one of the originators/creators of said projects. We know this going in if you read the fine print and I'm ok with that. It's a financial risk and I can live with it. But now there is an expectation of delivery as Rockwell has promised to fulfill this project and have stated as much in numerous project updates and statements made on social media forums. They made those statements, no one forced them to. Also, as a side note they funded their project/campaign a few times over than what was needed. Almost half a million to be exact. More than enough for R&D, tooling, prototyping, pre-production runs to finalization and production a few times over. And at presumably lower costs since it will be produced overseas.

Will they recover and regain confidence and trust from potential consumers/backers if they so desired to start up another campaign? I really don't know to be honest. How many times can you go to the well and keep pulling up water? The well will eventually run dry. And in my individual case, it has.

Mind you, these are just my opinions based on my experience and from what I can surmise on this whole subject. Believe me, I want Rockwell to succeed, but after this fiasco that probability comes into serious question....

12. DesertTime

As you can tell from my previous posts, I was disenchanted with the entire process but still hoping Rockwell would pull it off, for the sake of the backers still remaining and the shaving community in general. And I still am. I especially hope the folks still waiting get the razor they deserve.

But I don't believe Rockwell has been transparent about what's going on. Even with that, I was tempted more than once to jump back in, so don't beat yourself up about that.

Str8on2 and Frijolero like this.
  13. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

Here's a quick update. Rockwell only took 6 days to send my refund(holiday weekend). Kudos to Rockwell for keeping that promise. Qshave shipped my Parthenon 5/27, a little over 24 hours after I ordered it. They say it's 10 to 28 days but it's coming from China so I'm going to guess closer to 28 days. In any case that's two months before Rockwell's current August prediction. My razor actually exists, I have a tracking number and it's in transit. Rockwell's Model T is still nothing more than a promise. I'm glad I'm out. Good Luck to anyone who's decided to pray and tough it out.

14. DesertTime

I'm curious, did you get a full refund? I opted out last July and they held back 10%.

15. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I got a full($99) refund. I have a feeling this is being done in an attempt to calm people down and reinstill confidence. There's a lot of anger and disappointment out there. When you got your refund it wasn't necessary. People were still plunking down their money and not questioning the delays. If they don't come up with a razor soon they're going to be inundated with refund requests. I think they've gotten their last pass.

16. Str8on2

Here is something that I think some of you might get a kick out of it. I was on the Rockwell website and there are actually 2! Yes 2 reviews on the Model T. But, the most recent review is not a very good one. It’s not even a review. Take a look and read what this backer has to say. I’ll say this, he’s not the only one that’s frustrated and ready to take the horns to Rockwell. I’m actually surprised that Rockwell has not taken it down yet......

Late night, pic is not off best quality....

EBDA4C7C-8442-4A16-8D73-BAD2B0087071.jpeg

17AA27A9-267C-42BC-A0CD-9E2BBEFC8DB3.jpeg

This is going to get real ugly if another setback is announced anytime before August. Not looking good.....

Frijolero and DesertTime like this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that the t-bar wont be quick fix, at least 4-5 months till they start shipping " if they can figure out how to produce proper t-bar. He wont dare to deliver faulty product even if it takes another year from now to start with the shipping

On another note, they say they are concentrating on producing 1 piece t-bar, guess what that means? no more brass rod and most likely all zinc design. One step down after another in materials but if this fixes the issues then its understandable. The razor should still last 10-20 years of daily usage if cared properly

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Frijolero and DesertTime like this.
  18. DesertTime

QUOTE="blashe, post: 1436022, member: 17319"]I have a feeling that the t-bar wont be quick fix, at least 4-5 months till they start shipping " if they can figure out how to produce proper t-bar. He wont dare to deliver faulty product even if it takes another year from now to start with the shipping

On another note, they say they are concentrating on producing 1 piece t-bar, guess what that means? no more brass rod and most likely all zinc design. One step down after another in materials but if this fixes the issues then its understandable. The razor should still last 10-20 years of daily usage if cared properly[/QUOTE]

In response to a post, Rockwell stated:"The t-bar is zinc alloy, and the rod is stainless steel." I believe from their latest components breakdown, the entire head is ZAMAC. Personally, I don't have a huge problem with that at a reasonable pricepoint. With the exception of my Fatboy, which is not my favorite razor, all my adjustbles use ZAMAC.

You seem knowledgable about manufacturing and metals. I read somewhere one reason ZAMAC is used is because you can achieve tighter tolerences, at least at reasonable costs. Is that true? I know that was Rockwell's rationale for switching back to a ZAMA design.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. DesertTime

Supposedly, they've been shipping, with some slowdown, for four months. I would expect more folks posting that they've received their razor. They've also claimed they've had many positive reviews. Where are they?

I have to say, the pictures and videos I've seen of the razor (prototypes, I guess), it looks awesome. My guess is once it's released and the kinks are worked out, it will come down considerably from $195. With competition from Parker and QShave, both razors containing less ZAMAC than the Model T, that pricepoint is unsupportable. I'll wait patiently on the sidelines.

Frijolero and Str8on2 like this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

In response to a post, Rockwell stated:"The t-bar is zinc alloy, and the rod is stainless steel." I believe from their latest components breakdown, the entire head is ZAMAC. Personally, I don't have a huge problem with that at a reasonable pricepoint. With the exception of my Fatboy, which is not my favorite razor, all my adjustbles use ZAMAC.

You seem knowledgable about manufacturing and metals. I read somewhere one reason ZAMAC is used is because you can achieve tighter tolerences, at least at reasonable costs. Is that true? I know that was Rockwell's rationale for switching back to a ZAMA design.[/QUOTE]
    Zamac is the cheapest option and the easiest way to manufacture parts with tight tolerances, but there is no guarantee everything will turn out as planned. Currently CNC and MIM process have the best tolerances results but they are more expensive than manufacturing zamac parts. The most precise manufacturing parts to date is the old Gillette progressive brass stamping, its superior even to CNC but setting up brass stamping line is very expensive and it only pays off if company wants to do mass production million + razors.

If you look at the pictures above you can see that the rod is brass in color and not SS, I do remember them mentioning that the rod will be SS but the picture shows otherwise. If they implement the fix with the T-bar as they say it will be 1 piece then for sure it will all be zinc, that's fine as long as they do a good job with the plating.

DesertTime likes this.