Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Last time I heard from Rockwell he was screaming that he is out of toilet paper, naturally I handed him cardboard cutouts instead

2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

On the KS forum, I've seen others claim they received their email address verification notices. But I haven't seen one followup claiming to have received a razor. Yours looks like an actual shipping notice, which seems closer to having a real razor, a cause for optimism. Good luck.

3. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

The notice is from the USPS, not Qshave, so unless they sent an empty box I should be using the razor on Tuesday. If something does go wrong , I think I'll just say "screw it" and grow a beard. This episode of my life, with all of the anticipation and ultimate disappointment, has gone on for long enough.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    DesertTime likes this.
  4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

why anticipation and disappointment?

5. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

It's the Saga of my quest for a modern,stainless steel, TTO adjustable razor, the Rockwell Model T. I should have been searching for a Unicorn.
    What would you call it?

blashe and DesertTime like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd call it a stainless Janus adjustable toggle razor...but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

jeraldgordon and DesertTime like this.
  7. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I'm not going to have to wait until Tuesday. My Parthenon arrived today, two days ahead of schedule. I'll be using it tomorrow. This razor is absulutely beautiful and it feels great in my hand. I hope it lasts as long as a Gillette.

DesertTime likes this.
  8. DesertTime

I misunderstood. I thought the delivery notice was for the Rockwell Model T? My bad, sorry.

9. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

First review. Pretty interesting video...

Tdmsu, Ron R, DesertTime and 2 others like this.
  10. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting. Ruds gives great reviews and this is no exception. Sure glad I bought the REX Ambassador rather than waiting for this Rockwell.

11. DesertTime

Interesting review. Appears to have been made today. I wonder how he got one?

Str8on2 likes this.
  12. Str8on2

That's a good question. I don't have the slightest idea. I haven't seen the video from start to finish, so I don't know if the gentleman in the video comments on where he got one.

Tdmsu and DesertTime like this.
  13. DesertTime

I watched the entire video and he did not mention where he got his razor. His final comments are worth listening to as he did not recommend the razor.

Tdmsu and Str8on2 like this.
  14. Str8on2

I'm at work at the moment. I've only been able to catch a couple seconds here and there. But once I get home I'll catch it in it's entirety. And he does NOT recommend the Model T? That's not good. RUDS is a pretty reliable source for shave reviews.

Tdmsu and DesertTime like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

He says it's doesn't feel as premium as it's price tag.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Tdmsu, DesertTime and Str8on2 like this.
  16. Str8on2

That's disconcerting...... :sad024:

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Well that was pretty scathing. When the best the guy can come up with is “acceptable”, sandwiched in between terms like gaudy and imbalanced, while describing the blade chatter and the technique adjustments necessary to get a decent shave?

Put a fork in her. She’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

not good news

DesertTime likes this.
  19. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Member

I'm glad I was able to jump ship. "Blade chatter" was all I had to hear. I donate at the Blood Bank. I can't afford any extra.
    For anyone who's curious, the Parthenon I received, while not as disappointing as the Model T, is not perfect either. The numbers on the dial are very hard to read and thus set under normal bathroom lighting. I'm a little farsighted and I have a hell of a time reading them. They're very lightly engraved on a super shiny surface. This problem could have been prevented by making the engraving deeper and putting a little black paint in the numbers. The razor also happens to be very agressive at level 3, especially with the Feathers they threw in as part of the deal. I shudder to think what a shave at level 9 would be like. I solved that problem by going down to level 2 and using my Gillette Silver Blues. ( I honestly never liked Feathers anyway) I got a really close, comfortable ,3 pass BBS shave that way. Even a 2 pass shave was more than acceptable. The feel and the balance on the razor is among the best I've ever tried. If you like the old Gillette adjustables you'll like this one too. At a quarter of the price of a Model T, it's well worth the price of admission.

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The review was well done, and brought up valid points. To summarize for those who haven't watched it, he feels it's unbalanced, with the handle being heavy, and the head light. The head is larger (more domed) than it needs to be, and there is blade play (chatter) when set above 4. Overall it doesn't look or feel like a "premium" razor, though it's priced like a premium razor.

All in all, it's a pretty damning review, especially since he feels that the Gillette Fatboy and Slim outclass it in every way.

If someone is going to develop thier own TTO adjustable, they ought to take the time to improve on the Gillette adjustables. I feel it can be done, but not by Rockwell.