Rocnel SE review(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 30, 2016.

1. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I`m still waiting. Haven`t heard a word from them. That`s been since around Feb. or March. What gives? If you know, I`m all ears.

Bill

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I believe what happened, based on talking to Murat there a bit that they got about 4-5,000 requests for their razors. People were not getting their confirmation emails so a lot of people re-entered their order with the same or a different email address. With them not expecting this volume, having to sort out which ones were duplicates, etc they realized that they should focus on making razors and not selling them. To make things worse their home-built emailing/ordering system also didn't allow for mass-reply to customers. So it was a mess.
    Fast forward six months or so and Paypal had to pull out of Turkey making the whole situation even more interesting :)
    They have outsourced subsequent selling of their razors to two main vendors at this point.

I'd say, if you're still interested in a razor you're best (only?) bet at this time is to either go to extrashaving.com or yourshaving.com - the latter having stock of both the original SE (half DE blade) at $48 as well as the later SE50 (that takes your Kai/Feather blade) at $104.
    (Extrashaving is about $6 cheaper on the original SE razor - selling it at $42 - so it might come down to shipping charges which one would make more sense).

I've ordered from both places and while it takes a few weeks they do provide you with a tracking number (you sometimes have to ask extrashaving for it as they don't send the number to you automatically).

I hope any of that can be helpful.

Bama Samurai, RyX and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got an email from them saying I was on the list, but I haven't heard anything since. It is just as well. I really don't need another razor.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  4. billdog2

I haven`t even heard from them, I have a 2 pc piece razor that loads a 1/2 blade so easy, I`1m not sure about Rocnel. The Hibco is a little aggressive but does a pretty good job. Regards.

Bill

Bama Samurai and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I guess I'm not going to get mine. Still nothing saying they are ready for my money.

That's ok, I'm full blown into Straight Razors now, and I don't need another Razor I won't use more than a couple of times anyway.

whiteboy_cannon, billdog2 and Spyder like this.
  6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I almost forgot about this. Never did hear back and I'm glad. Don't need the thing!

Spyder likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated that they opted out of selling directly but that you can now buy them from extrashaving or yourshaving.

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of us won't be missing this razor......

9. DaltonGang

I would still like to try one, if anyone wishes to lone me one for a week. This might make me want to buy one again.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

How can you miss something you've never had?
    It's a quirky yet very capable razor.

11. billdog2

I`m not getting mine either, so I bought a 2 piece razor, altered it to accept a 1/2 de blade. With a 2 piece razor, you need only to open the head slightly and drop a 1/2 blade. I cut 1 side off, you really have to do that. I just wanted something akin to the rocnel. With regards.

Bill

Demidog and DaltonGang like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And now it's over 4x what the original price was.

Demidog likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Spyder likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Originally estimated price was $25 (which contained an intended direct-buy/preorder discount from Rocnel).
    Once they realized they were not set up to deal with the thousands of pre-orders (do I need to explain that part again?) the product settled at around $38 where they sold a few from their site.
    They outsourced the selling to Extrashaving that now sell them for $40 and Yourshaving that sell them for $48.

I have no idea how that translates to 'over 4x'.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Maybe my eyes are crossed, but I couldn't navigate extrashaving, I mistakenly looked at the "new" listed for 105€. I stand corrected. It's 49€.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Extrashaving is a terribly designed site. Luckily they only have two pages of razors:
    http://www.extrashaving.com/maaza-c1doe

It's $49 - not 49€ on Yourshaving though.