Rocnel SE review(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's pretty disturbing. Now, sure, capitalism is capitalism so I can't "condemn" it but it does feel a bit off.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I did a search on sold listings on the bay, two show sold at $125 recently. I am interested in trying this razor, but not that interested. Once I get one, this will be my second modern razor, and I paid the same price for both.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  3. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

No, this is the new Single Edge. Only two Rocnel razors show up under a sold items search, and they are both the new SE. I'm all for selling your gear if you don't want to use it, I was just shocked that the price was so high.

whiteboy_cannon and Radiotube like this.
  5. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Understood... Wow, that IS disturbing...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

They appear to be having a lively discussion on the by-laws of the BST group over the post and if it really is a $25 dollar razor. Someone even linked to the other thread on this razor. Sorry, I will end my thread hijack here, and return us all to waiting for @Darkbulb to post the shave review.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Slapped is the operative word, for sure. Highlights will do, we don't need an essay immediately.

27 posts in this review thread so far, and not one is a shave review. *sigh*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Whoever is nuts let them pay 300 for it

whiteboy_cannon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

SHAVE REPORT #1

[​IMG]
    This morning I had the first shave with the Rocnel SE and below is a short recap of how I felt loading the razor - and shaving with it.

First of all let me tell you - this razor has quite the 'buzz' about it.
    I have never received as many private messages on Twitter and Instagram asking me for more information about the razor than what I have in the past day.
    The most common questions are;
    "Is it really $25?",
    "Where can I get one?", and (my favorite)
    "Why do you have one and I don't!?' :)

Preparing and loading the blade
    The razor takes a regular DE blade snapped in half.
    I haven't broken off DE blades a lot of times but it's neither a cumbersome nor very dangerous thing to do.
    I find that it's easier if you leave the blade inside it's wax-paper wrapping and simply gently bend it - it will then simply gently break off giving you two pieces.

[​IMG]

I did have some hesitation as far as actually loading the blade. I just couldn't see how it would hold it safely - especially when shaving.
    I inserted the blade (still with the tabs on) into the razor and...as by pure Turkish magic the razor "grabbed onto' the blade.
    It was securely seated (believe me...I shook it, prodded it and tapped it on various items - and the razor stayed put).
    I wouldn't call it a 'click' when I inserted it but there was a firm 'grasp' indicating that the razor was seated correctly.
    I have no idea how Murat designed this but I assume the curve that the head forces onto the blade asserts some pressure grasp onto it.

You might be able to tell a bit about the blade exposure in the image below
    [​IMG]

Snapping off the tabs on the end was simply a matter of taking my thumb and gently pressing down and they fell off.

Below are some close-ups of the end of the razor showing a bit of how the blade is seated.
    (Btw, this is some really excellent machining)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I headed off to shave I also wanted to see how well the head can be paired with other handles....

On a Wolfman handle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On a Tradere handle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally here's the Rocnel w/ it's handle mounted compared to some familiar razors to provide a sense of scale.
    From left to right: Gillette Slim, Rocnel SE and Gillette NEW:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for having you go through all that but I wanted to provide a little bit more about the razor and blade loading before getting in to the shave report - but, here it is:

The Shave
    Lathered up some Soap Commander Endurance with a New Forest brush and picked up the razor (loaded with an Astra SP - well, half of one).
    First impression is that it's a heavy razor (solid stainless steel who would have thought :) ) but being used to razors like the Mongoose, King Cobra, etc that in itself was not a concern.
    I went with the knurled handle for this shave but will switch to the smooth one tomorrow.

First pass - WTG
    Finding the angle was easy. I basically used the same angle as I do with a DE razor which surprised me a bit as I for some reason had anticipated me having to have the head more flat against the face as with a SE razor. First few strokes down the side of my face and any concerns I had about the blade moving around were gone - the blade is very, very safely seated in the head.

Finished off my first pass and could tell that it's a rather mild razor. I don't know if I could cut myself with it (I didn't try too hard to do so) but it did absolutely feel like it was on the milder side of things. If Murat comes out with a head that is a tad more aggressive I will be all over that!
    Second pass - ATG
    Equally straightforward and easy to pick up on the angle to use. The razor also does a very good job getting in and cleaning up some of my trouble spots like under my nose and right under my chin.
    I do wish that the handle was longer. I know that is a very subjective thing but the heavy head would, to me, had benefited from a longer handle that could extend a bit further into my hand. Having said that - the head does accept other handles so it might just be a matter of pairing it with the subjectively perfect one.
    The knurling on the handle felt great. Not too pronounced so that it felt uncomfortable but enough for it to provide a very solid grip.

After two passes I was clean shaven and I mean clean shaven. A very nice result.
    I don't think it's necessarily as efficient as say King Cobra with a Pro blade (that combo gives me a very close shave in one single pass) - but the pro as far as the Rocnel goes is that it balances 'safety'/security (in it's mild shave) with efficiency very well - resulting in a razor that is fun to use, a bit different and will have you out the door with a close shave and no nicks.

I'm a tad obsessive about cleaning out my razors after the shave and I did the same with the Rocnel.
    Taking out the blade was surprisingly easy - just push/tug a tiny bit on the side of the head and the blade slides right out (how does it stay so safely in there during the shave?).
    A quick rinse and all soap residue was gone.

So would I recommend it?
    Completely, fully, wholeheartedly - yes.

This is not a "$25 razor".
    Not only is the design fantastic - but it's also a fully machined stainless steel razor that shaves really well.
    Great job and kudos to Murat and his partners over at Rocnel for bringing this to market at the price point it's at.
    I remember reading some time ago that Murat's vision back then was to 'bring a high quality - yet affordable - razor to the market".
    He did.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry...I went the essay route :(

PLANofMAN and Spyder like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Typical. Nice review, though. Now I'm sorry I didn't take you up on your offer. Just didn't have the funds for 5 razors and/or bases at that time. (My razor + groomsman gifts) I'll get mine with everyone else in North America.

How does it feel to be a minor celebrity?

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry, sometimes I do ramble :D
    No worries, I passed your early delivery option on to someone else that should be getting his razor this week or so ;)

Lol, I'm not kidding...probably 50+ messages across both Twitter and Instagram asking about the Rocnel.

He just might be able to sell some....

Spyder and Redfisher like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Now for the $25 question: How come you have one and we don't :signs002: :taunt002:

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very funny :)

Spyder likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Celebrity status, man. Influential and all that.

Spyder likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Probably more along the lines of "lucky" and "send him one as he's annoying me" - but thanks :D

RyX and Spyder like this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Darkbulb I wonder if its possible to reinsert the used half blade inside after you are done cleaning the razor. I'm asking this because lets not forget after breaking off the side pieces is it safe to reinsert the blade again for 2nd shave? can you test this for us if you haven't done it already?

EDIT: if this is not possible because its not safe, there is a guy on DFS forums that got this razor a week a go and he already shaved with it without breaking off the side tabs because he didn't knew that he can do that.... So his shave went without any problem with the side tabs intact, after that we told him he can break them off and he did that lol.

So what I'm saying if its unsafe to reinsert the blade for the next shave maybe is better to not break off the tabs until when you decide the blade has had enough and you can break the tabs because its will be its last shave.

Give it a shot and see what happens

Spyder and Darkbulb like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's safe, as long as you have fingernails or a toothpick or something to push on the blade corners with.

Spyder and Darkbulb like this.
  19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

well I mean shouldn't we leave that answered to the person that actually has the razor? cmon now....

Spyder likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Darn it, I was going to talk about that tomorrow when I do the next shave report lol

It IS a challenge. I tried to safely re-insert the blade again - without the tabs and it was significantly trickier than with the tabs.
    I'll play around with it a bit more tomorrow and will be sure to include that :)

AndyH_STi and Spyder like this.