Rocnel SE review(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 30, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It had nothing to do with the fact that he was selling the razor at inflated prices. What the market will bear and all that.

It was the condescending, arrogant, rude response to Darkbulb's message that riled me up. The seller sounds like one of the B&B mods...

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Still would like to know how long that handle is..:signs002:

Spyder and Redfisher like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't have it with me but I found an old instagram post where Murat says the handle is 85mm long (and 13mm wide).
    The photo in my shave report showing it next to the Slim and NEW might give some indication.

I don't know why but it felt 'shorter' in use. Maybe it's the rather heavy head that made it feel that way. Not sure. I did have a shave this morning with the smooth handle - and also had to face the 'how to insert a snapped off blade w/out tabs back into the razor'-dilemma.
    I'll try to post something in a bit.

Spyder, Redfisher and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

:thanks:

Spyder and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Btw, for those curious about the 'loose' screw that is used to join the head and handle - @ckeskin provided this insight over on TSR:

"About the screw: It took my attention and I felt the need to explain. If they wanted to have the screw carved one piece with the head that would create incredibly long machining time making this razor much more expensive. Therefore they decided to use a double sided screw. It is still possible to tight screw the screw to the head with a help of a small Allen wrench. This way you don't have the risk of screw getting lost."

And on the topic of price after the pre-orders are fulfilled:
    "All the sales will be made through www.extrashaving.com once all the pre-orders are fulfilled.
    Price will not remain at $25 pre-order price but we believe it won't be more than $35 per razor."

Redfisher, Recklesstr and DaltonGang like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Wow, I have my own understanding for your reference and share your loathing for that type.
    If it didn't stir up problems with Mods here, I'd consider having a "I got banned from B&B" thread and signature acronym.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'd join that thread :)

Redfisher likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Me, too. But I'm also Ban Shy because of it.
    You have more history and E-Swagger than I. Go for it!

Spyder, Redfisher and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Nah, let's not drag other-forum-dirt over here where it's clean and smells like The Veg (mmmm).

[Sorry for the derailment - now back to talking about Turkish SE razors] :)

Spyder, Halvor, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I think when it comes to lenght measurements we should ask the eBay seller kewl

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Spyder, Redfisher and Slipperyjoe like this.
  11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I dont think the screw should be an issue, because the handle and the head should have the screw on openings in opposite direction, this way when you screw in the handle u automatically screwing and tightening the little bolt to the head itself. Machinist already know this and I'm sure that's the way they did it

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Oh, ok. I guess I let things like that, not bother me as much, unless I'm the one being disrespected. I've had my share of arguments with eBay sellers, and they have ticked me off, for days, until I got over it. With my job, I have to just ignore idiots like that. When it upsets you, it tends to make their day.

Spyder, Redfisher and Darkbulb like this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Probably answer something like..24-36-24..:D
    [​IMG]

barbersurgeon and Redfisher like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It sounds like the entire guy is an ass. I would pass

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

SHAVE REPORT # 2

Was childishly excited to again shave with the Rocnel SE this morning.
    I swapped out the handle and went with the smooth one. I really do like how it looks and feels. If you have a Pils 101 - it's basically that but heavier and shorter.

However, this morning did raise the first real challenge with the razor: re-loading the blade that I removed yesterday (so it has no tabs on it anymore).
    I watched @ckeskin 's Turkish video below how he reloads the razor and I could do the same without any problem. The issue comes with sliding the blade in far enough into the slot so that it sits safely there.

I literally tried getting it to that position 5-6 times w/ increasing risks of cutting myself until I finally gave up. Tossed the used blade and grabbed the other half (which of course still have its tabs on it). It loaded in a second.

So, for me (and I can't stress enough that this is probably one of those subjective things) I will either;
    a) Leave the same blade half in there for 2-3 shaves then remove and replace, or
    b) Just use it for one shave. Toss and replace. Since you only use half a blade a time you'll still get two shaves/blade.

Anywho, lathered up (NF brush and some T&H soap (I am after all 12.7% British) and started shaving.

First pass - WTG

The smooth handle proved to not cause any issues at all as far as feeling slippery goes. I rather liked it.
    Knurled: Rugged, utilitarian, secure. The Volvo you know will get you there safely.
    Smooth: Sophisticated, clean. The Jetta your wife bought. Looks nice but there is a chance it might mess up.

Great first shave...until [ouch!].
    Remember those tabs you break off at the end of the blade? Well..they are not 100% cleanly broken off..there are small jaggedy pieces peeking through the end of the razor;
    [​IMG]

and as I shaved next to my ear that little piece bit my ear and drew some blood.

Now there are, as far as I can come up with three possible solutions for that;
    1) Be more careful around your ear/nose (this is obviously not an issue when you shave the rest of your face if you hold the razor properly),
    2) Figure out if there are some blades that breaks off with no jagged edges (anyone want to go through their razor blade collection and break of one each? :D),
    3) Clean up the edge after you break the tabs off (that sounds like a lot of work though), and/or
    4) Buy/make a small end-cap that will pop on the razor to protect my big ear and nose (hey it IS an option...).

I'm especially curious about #2 and might sit down and break some blades this weekend to see which ones are Rocnel recommended ones.

I continued the shave and it was a very, very good one. Easy to clean under my nose and the rest of the pass went without any incidents and was very pleasant.

Second pass - ATG
    I applied 'option 1' above and had no issues w/ the second pass. I did more and more realize that the head is just a little bit too mild for me. I can't wait for a bit more aggressive head to come out. :) I ended with a very clean and smooth face. It's now six-seven hours later and my face is still smooth.

I really do enjoy this razor.​

[​IMG]

Some key take-aways in a very geeky way;
    [​IMG]

16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

When I receive mine I'll just use a little locktite to secure it to the head.

Spyder and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Option 5) Grow sideburns and mustache.

I will go with that one. :)

battle.munky, twhite, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, that will work!

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If I might suggest one option...
    Place one side of the blade out a little farther than normal, break that tab, then use the remaining tab to pull the blade out and reseat it, covering the broken end. Break the other tab, and remember to use the side with the cleaned up blade towards the ear.

It would mean going ATG on at least one sideburn, most likely.

Edit: or tape your ears back. :p

AndyH_STi, Spyder, RyX and 3 others like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I understand what you mean but that would simply not be practical to remember and the extra fuzz would take away from having a relaxing shave (for me - we're all different).
    I'm gonna place my hopes in a combination of 1 and 2 :)

Redfisher likes this.