Rocnel SE review(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I think Plan is onto something here.... Move the blade over, snap the tab and then do the same for the other side and then use a knife blade or something to center it back up. Done properly there might be no extra material hanging off the sides... Or...Be. More. Careful. I'm liking the ear tape option too, but just for you ya know! :eatdrink013:

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm thinking maybe I can just wear a beanie.

Redfisher likes this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

:rofl: Perfect!

Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Why not suggest that future razors be made slightly wider, to prevent the exposed blade edges from cutting people. I'm sure Darkbulb isn't the only one that's cut themself. Suggestion: leave feedback about it on Rocnels site.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The only possible concern with that is if the head is so wide that none of the blade peeks out on the sides..how would you get it out of the razor?

@ckeskin You're probably the one non-Rocnel employee that have shaved with the SE the most - does any of what I mention above resonate with you and if so how, if it was needed, did you make it work for you;
    a) Re-loading a used (now tab-less blade) and get it as far into the head as you can do when using the tabs, and
    b) potential ear/nose cutting jagged/protruding left-overs from the snapped off tabs on the side of the razor (OR is it actually just the fact that the blade is wider than the head and that it's the cutting edge (that sticks out on both sides of the head) that could cause such cuts?)

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  6. DaltonGang

From what understand, some little jagged pieces are still exposed, when the tabs are snapped off. . This could be enough to get it to wiggle out. If not, a toothpick might work.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Before snapping off the tabs/edges:
    [​IMG]

After snapping off the tabs/edges:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I'm going on a blade-and-edge-snapping quest to see if brands 'break' differently - but the more I look at this, the more I start to wonder if the 'cut' that I received this morning didn't actually have to do with the snapped of edges...but the fact that the blade itself is wider than the head. If one look at these photos the edge that protrudes the most is actually the cutting edge of the blade.

Recklesstr likes this.
  8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

looks like the side tabs that stick out should not be sharp, why don't you give it a shot shaving with them, start off slow and see how it goes

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I will take that as a joke :)

Spyder likes this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I'm really starting to wonder if it wouldn't be easier and safer to just leave the tabs on there..at least then you know where they are..and it kinda makes a nice set of wings..:transport015:.. do you know where your wings are..:scared011:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Spyder likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm really starting to wonder if you guys are nuts :)

Spyder and IDuck like this.
  12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

and here you are claiming you are from the darkside....

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe I need more cookies.

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Well..maybe just a little eccentric..:confused:

Spyder likes this.
  15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Darkside+loves cookies
    Would you be brave enough, unlike someone else we know and give it a shot at shaving without breaking off the side tabs?

Spyder and Darkbulb like this.
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I don't see an issue with someone selling them on eBay. If someone wants to buy one then let them. I've bought iPhones on my upgrade on release day and sold them for over $1000, just because of demand. Just ignore those people I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the screw, I plan to use blue loctite on mine when I get it. Loctite it into the head. Don't need to lose that thing.

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  17. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

@Drygulch From the looks of it -your avatar- you already

Drygulch and Spyder like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I say shave with the tabs in place. My Fatboy and Slim Adjustable have the tabs exposed, and I've never cut myself with them.

Spyder likes this.
  19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have a 2nd hand / blemish scotch and stove razor that the tabs stick out a bit, not as much as the Rocnel but maybe 80% when compared, never got cut by the tabs

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a bunch of razors they stick out a bit on, but those things on that Rocnel look like they could take off.