Rolls PIF - Requirements Reduced *GONE*

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by burningdarkness, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Requirements reduced and summary given at bottom of original post.

Check out the bolded and Italicized areas for changes.

Now it's about time those entries start flooding in.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Friendship

That’s what TSD means to me.

It all started out as it has for many of you. I was looking for a way to save money on an almost daily chore that I despised doing. I have 2 sons, and when the second one hit shaving age, I knew I had to do something. Buying Fusion cartridges was just going to be too expensive at the rate they were going through them. So I looked into the old safety razor as an option for all of us, started doing a little research and found several online forums dedicated to this “hobby”. I checked out the reviews on several sites, reading up on razors and blades before making the purchase. Razors and shaving kits in our hands, I thought that we were all set.

But a funny thing happened during my research. I noticed one of the sites I joined was editing posts and banning members who talked about the website of a certain vendor. Looking over the website, I saw nothing wrong; prices were fair, selection very good. I just couldn’t come up with a real good reason to act like that. While looking for more info on the vendor, I saw some posts over at TSD that seemed to be a haven for people that wanted to talk about it. I read postings that made me feel that this was just a fairer more open place to be.

I joined TSD about a month later and said my first “Hellos”. Wow what a warm reception I received, a lot of very friendly responses, and a few members chiding me about saving money in my new hobby. I decided to throw my hat into the newbie giveaway with the hope of winning some free shave gear. But there was a problem; I had to have 15 posts in by the end of the month, for me that was a huge number. I have always had a problem posting on open internet forums. Looking at one of the other boards I’m a member of, I show 44 posts since 2002 when I joined. So now I had to make 15 posts in less than week. I’m not sure how I did it, but I managed to post my 15th one on the last day of the month. Whew, I was glad that was over, but it really was fun. Not once was I made to feel like I didn’t belong here.

I started coming here every day and checking out the new messages, saying hello to fellow newbies and just hanging around. I remember reading one of Rolls for sale threads where he said he would sell the razor cheaper to a member of the HYD. HYD? What the heck is that? Oh I get it! Hows Your Day thread. I head on over to that thread and do a little reading. That Rolls is a funny guy, just set his truck on fire and came running out with a pack of hot dogs! I like this here HYD thread, just a place to drop in, talk about the weather, sports or anything! Kinda like “Cheers”, but in real life. So I step inside, say hello and talk about the great shave I had. I found a new family!

Now, I’m hooked. The TSD is now my number one stop on the net. I come here to get great advice, and hopefully give some decent advice. I warmly welcome newbies and then step into the HYD and say “Hello All!” Then my day starts to look up, I may not have a great day going, but my friends that I have never met face to face are there to listen to what I have to say, and try to cheer me up if need be. Even if I had a fine day going, I always feel better because of this great site and the great people that frequent it. It has turned into so much more than just a repository for great shave information.

Am I saving money now? No, the AD’s have kicked in and my razor collection is growing at an alarming rate. Which would I get rid of first if I had to choose? Goodbye razors! The friendships that I have made on here in 3 short months mean more to me than any pieces of steel or plastic. I may never meet any of my new friends in person, but that doesn't matter, I still consider them my friends.

With that being said, Rest in Peace Rolls, and thanks for pointing me to the HYD. You’ll never know how much you really helped me there. My post count is soaring now and the door to the HYD is open for me and its time for me to head on over there.

“Hello All!”

3. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

what does TSD mean to me?
    Chicks man.
    [​IMG]

4. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Ray swiped my chick pics!

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I have seen this, and considered posting an entry, except that I have already tried most of those items (except tuna:D - is that supposed to be a pre-shave accessory?), and several are not what I would call my favorites, so I thought it wouldn't be appropriate to post here and potentially take these items from someone who might appreciate them more.

I did have a brief encounter with Rolls - we both had a good laugh over some shenanigans we were both pulling. Sadly I didn't know him as well as others, not being a frequent visitor of the HYD thread.

6. harlekin

harlekin New Member

A long strange trip

It all started several months ago. I got the idea to try making some soap from a friend of mine. I started haunting a fairly large forum of soap and cosmetic makers. I learned a lot about soap to say the least. I started making my own soap and noticed a couple of recipes floating around for shaving soap. How intriguing. I've shaved with an electric razor since I had whiskers long enough to bother shaving, just as my father has done as long as I've known.

I searched the internet to find out more about shaving soap. Lo and behold, "The Shave Den" popped up in my search and seemed pretty interesting. So I read a bit.

Wanting to try my hand at making a specialized soap, I would need to test it somehow. Having read a few threads on TSD, I thought, gee maybe I should try shaving the old fashioned way.

I had only tried shaving with a sharp object once before. I was in a VERY nice hotel in Taipei without my razor charging cord. There was a Bic disposable and some shaving cream in the lavish marble bathroom. I was fairly unkempt at the time, as shaving was enough of a chore that I generally neglected to shave and had a pretty full beard. The Bic barely made any impact on my beard and tugged at the hairs something awful. So much for that idea. I spent the rest of the trip unshaven.

So after my first encounters with TSD I went out and picked up a Mach 3 and a tube of shave cream (yeah, I know, but I wanted to learn to shave with sharp things and finding a real razor at Target or Walgreens wasn't really an option). Not the best shave by a long shot, but I trimmed the beard down a bit. :)

I started to read TSD more regularly, but didn't have a login. I looked around at the other forums, spending some time at B&B. When I finally got hooked enough to start looking for a real razor, I signed up for an account here. I got to know people, started to figure out some of the more unusual senses of humor, and generally got a feel for the people. When I would have something interesting to say, for some reason I felt compelled to say it here, and not somewhere else. There was just something about the people around here. TSD just seemed more inviting.

The people around here have real personality. They are always willing to help, even if there's a little good natured ribbing along with it. :cool: PIF was an almost entirely foreign concept to me, and to see the way people around here willing to do it so freely was downright refreshing. After spending a few weeks around here I couldn't help but wish I had enough shaving stuff collected to be able to participate. Granted, with the *ADs setting in pretty well, that time will come soon enough. :)

I have been helped on my first shaving quests, thanks to the wonderful members of TSD. I found my 100 year old shave with a 1908 single ring, and a bit of guidance on GEM razors for my next quest. My beard has shrunk to a much more nicely groomed goatee and I'm working my way through a few soaps, creams, and blades in the ultimate quest for BBS.

Shaving the old fashioned way really can turn a daily chore into a pleasurable hobby, though it can be really hard to explain that to other people. Along with the simple pleasure, the nostalgia is strong. I am a technophile, to be sure, but somehow we can't lose our links to the past. Sometimes the old ways are the better ways. This strange trip brings back memories of my grandfather, who passed away many years ago. But thinking of his old DE razor sitting in the bathroom nearly brings me to tears. I remember the old bottles of Old Spice and Brut sitting on the shelf by the razor fondly. And oh, how pleased I was to recently discover that my mother has not one, but two of his old razors in her possession.

So I end my rambling story with this. The Shave Den, to me, is about friendship, camaraderie, and nostalgia.

I regret that I didn't really get to know Rolls. I was just beginning to understand his unique brand of humor and great personality when he passed on.

7. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

TSD is a compilation of the people that hang out here. That, and a reflection of the folks that host and manage the board. Obvious yes, but very cool once you get to know what it feels like here.

I showed up a few months ago, looking for a place to talk about shaving where there weren't a lot of "experts" and where everything seemed friendly. My buddy, Bong noticed me here and told me to check out the HYD thread, and that there were some good folks in there. I did and was told "If Bong sent you then that means we won't immediately throw you out!". I was taken by the friendly banter and the quick acceptance that all of the "old timers" showed me. I was almost a total noob back then and needed some guidance. People were thrilled right along with me when I posted some crappy pics of my granddad's straight razors. They shared their humor with me and let me in on their jokes - and helped me figure out a bunch of stuff about how to get a better shave.

My favorite character here was Rolls, although I didn't get much of a chance to know him well. I told my wife about the truck fire and hot dog incident and she knew I was hanging out with crazy people for sure. I miss the old coot. (Rolls - not my wife :happy102)

See, I'm really a pen guy and not a shaving guy. Hanging out on pen boards, at least the one very popular pen board is okay, but it's full of fairly new folks that don't know a lot but act like they do. I used to hang out there, but was always kind of put off by the large quantity of self-promoting experts that lived there. When I got interested in DE and straight shaving, I eventually found this place. Yep, I'm fairly new, but I try not to sound like I know a lot (because I don't). I like it here because it's a place to hang out where everyone is accepted, fools are tolerated only up to a point and folks actually care about each other. It's a great place to learn and share, but mainly it's just a nice place to be.

Oh, and and you get to see pictures of hot chicks!

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Jack45

Jack45 New Member

I'd have to say that I've looked at a lot of threads and this seems particularly friendly. Right now I'm reviving the old practice of wet-shaving that I began nearly fifty years ago. I find it surprisingly relaxing and satisfying.

Thanks for offering great suggestions and pleasant banter.

9. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

what tsd means to me

now keep in mind i just joined in 3-09;

i joined this site after having one of my 'quest for knowledge' moods; periodically i get these moods where i get almost completely consumed by a topic and need to investigate/study it; for some unknown reason, shaving became that topic around january;

we had just bought our house in dec; moved over christmas and new years; felt sentimental - dad died a couple of years ago - suddenly - and holidays do that to me now; just had 'old times' thoughts; again, i cant say why, but this obsession/compulsion to shave 'with an old fashion razor' popped into consciousness; 'old times'; did some research on the web at various sites and finally decided to commit after a couple of months; found a gillette tech at a flea market in feb, started the physical addiction immediately, and joined tsd in march;

i couldnt believe just how cordial everyone here is - cordial and knowledgible; unafraid and unmockingly answer EVERY question, even though you've all probably heard them before;

i hit this site everyday, as the moderators can confirm, just to be and get educated and knowledge; but also i feel somewhat linked to the past -

my mom came over after we had completely finished the house, and we gave her the grand tour; she stops in my bathroom doorway and just freezes and tears up - she saw my tech and brush on my homemade hanger stand and says, 'your father and grandpa used those too. to smell old spice again.' 'now just be careful and dont cut your throat!' thats mom...

so by coming here to this site, even though i havent even begun to acquire Rolls' knowledge, i still feel connected to him and everyone else on this site through sharing this addiction, but i also feel even more connected / bonded w/ my dad and grandfather; and for that, i would like to thank TSD.

10. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Bump, bump.

Keep entering, folks.

The deadline is very soon.

11. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Two days left, folks.

12. Batmang

Batmang New Member

In the mid to late nineties I re-discovered cigars. I had enjoyed cigars years before during my college days but gave up all forms of smoking in order to quit cigarettes. I discovered the online world of cigars and spent a great deal of time in chat rooms with other cigar smokers. I started acquiring cigars and humidors and eventually gave up on humidors and used igloo coolers (coolerdors) and spent the money on cigars. The friends I made in those chat rooms were special and I still have many of them today.

You might ask, what does this have to do with TSD? I'll tell you...

For years I used a Mach 3 with Tom's shaving cream (hand applied) and was fairly satisfied with that, but have always thought that something was missing. It seems to me that our society has become considerably more crass over the past 20 to 30 years...we have lost a sense of civility and respect. I look back to a time when men wore fedoras and said things like Holey Smokes instead of WTF. (I suspect that it was even before my time...and I may be looking through rose colored glasses...) I had always wanted to use a brush for shaving but until I found TSD, I had not taken the plunge. The world of wetshaving was opened up to me through TSD, and I fell into it much the same way that I did with the cigars. I asked some questions and people were responsive, welcoming, and encouraging. The opportunity to buy razors was wonderful. My tendency towards an acquisition disorder was renewed and before I knew it I had 15 or so razors (not a large number for real collectors, but significant for me nonetheless) I don't know how many soaps and creams (I just HAD to have Red Poraso and Noxema, not to mention Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac), and now, Lord help me, two types of Sandalwood EDTs, Spanish Leather cologne, Floid Vigoroso, and just yeaterday, Alacolada Glacial. I haven't worn any scent since college when I had English Leather Musk, for goodness sake!!! It's a sickness I tell you, it's a sickness!

But, it is so much fun I can't begin to tell you. Actually, I don't have to tell you, because you all know what I'm talking about. We are like minded people, despite being from diverse backgrounds, ages, and geographies. WE have something in common that we share with generosity and good will. I found that in the online cigar community and I find that here at The Shave Den.

It's the human contact that drives TSD and makes it a special place. I am grateful for that.

Nathan

RIP Rolls...he was a mensch and is sorely missed.

13. Moe

Moe Active Member

Dips toe in, swirls it around a bit, jumps in:

I lurked hear and a couple other sites for about a month, before I decided that this was the site I would first join (last month). Even before joining, without asking a single question, I was able to learn enough to go out and make what I considered to be an educated purchase of starter hardware. You know, how many times you go buy something, then after you learn more and more, you begin to think that you made a mistake with your initial purchase? Well, not me, not from what I learned here. After joining I found everyone to be as helpful as I had hoped, even answering questions that I know have been asked countless times before. The help I have received, and continue to receive is helping me plot my shaving exploration (yes I said plot, I’m kind of an engineer, so I have to have a plan :D).

Participating here has also instilled a bit of responsibility in me, as to supporting this hobby externally. I’ve received a lot of help, and want to pass that help on to others. My experience is a little shy to bring the expertise that other senior members bring, so I also evangelize wet shaving when I have the opportunity (except to my manager,,,, can’t have him see me post in the middle of the afternoon :eek:).

This all started out with exploration into DE shaving for me, but has turned into a bit of a release valve. During the work day, when things are going to hell in a hand basket, I can walk over to the home computer (I office out of my house) and take a quick peek, maybe see what’s up in the chatterbox (I mostly lurk there), see if I can add to picture tag, learn something new, or help someone out. I can’t say this will replace the blood pressure meds, but hey, it’s fun.

As for Rolls, I hadn’t the opportunity to trade posts with him, but sounds as if he was liked by all. Hearing what I assume to be Rolls speak (Yup, Go suck eggs, stay off my lawn), I immediately think of a combination of my old high school shop teacher (Chuck), and my father-in-law, coincidentally named chuck and also a shop teacher. I respect both those people immensely, I feel I would have respected Rolls also.

Cheers,

Moe

:thanks

14. alphage

alphage Member

PIF

No, I don't have 50 posts.

15. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Bump.

Thanks for all the entries, folks.

One more day.

16. ateace

ateace Member

I am an infrequent visitor here, so I don't consider myself deserving consideration for the PIF.

This is an impressive gesture and a great way to celebrate the memory of a well-loved TSD member. Rolls was one of a kind.

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I'm exempting myself from the prize, but I'll contribute my thoughts....

TSD for me, at first, was a detoured route when B&B got monotonous. I had seen it referenced several times over there, and checked it out many times for several months, almost a year really, but never joined. I came closest to joining when I got my wrist slapped once over there, but decided not to.
    Why, you ask?
    It may have been my tendency to prefer primacy - things that I experience first tend to be my favorites. Song remakes - I like the original better 95% of the time. If I hear the remake first, I usually like it better, though that % is far lower. Movies - same. Jokes - same. So, the first website would naturally have the best shot at being favorite. Had a lot of good times; bought, traded, PIF'd, even won a great contest!
    But then there was about a 2-3 week period, that I won't go into, as it's not productive nor beneficial for anyone - several things didn't set right with me, and I joined. For awhile, I was about equal in both places.
    B&B the familiar, TSD the new, intriguing, and many of the buds I had over there had come over here. So I kept at it.
    Long story short, TSD has taken top place as shaving forum, even though I still enjoy the others, TSD my "wet-shaving forum home".
    And here's why:

1) The village idiot is EVERYONE's idiot - things are a lot closer knit here. The smaller numbers allows for several things: less mod "intervention", more mod "interaction" (very good thing). With fewer members, and more active members, the conversations are more meaningful, and even slight differences are noticed...
    "well, that X blade didn't work too well for me"
    "well, that makes sense "Bob", since "N" blade didn't work for you either, but "Y" blade should - besides, you don't normally shave on Wednesdays, it probably threw off your rhythm."
    "yes, you're right"
    see, this totally fictitious conversation could actually happen here.

2) You gonna eat that?
    - sharing = caring, right? So much good faith, camaraderie, and helping each other out, it's amazing a bunch of strangers from all over God's green Earth will not let little things like the price of the product in question, nor International shipping (save alcohol-containing products) even give pause to not considering sharing.

3) "Hey Fred, your wife's birthday is tomorrow." "Oh, crap! Thanks for the reminder!"
    - it has been said, and is absolutely true - we know each other to well 'round these parts....what's not to love about it!?

4) Hey, that feller in 2nd place sure is awesome!
    - Games!!!!!

5) Shoplifters will be shot, survivors will be shot again
    - our own store, with one of our own working herself sick to make some of the absolute best products for shaving out there. Not only that, but popular items are available to, and if we don't have them, you don't have to figure out where .............................com is!

6) It's beginning to look a lot like ChristmaHannaKwanzaDon
    - who else remembers the awesome Christmas skin, complete with snowflakes?! Not to mention Secret Santa....

7) Hey! A tech support specialist I don't need a translator for!
    - did I mention we're a helpful bunch? There's even some things that I'm useful for here! :D

8) Let's all lay hands on that toe you stubbed on the coffee table
    - lots of prayers and well wishes for each other in our times of need, and rejoicing together in times of blessing

9) You did what!?!?!?!
    - Let's not forget the impetus for this PIF, Rollsshaver. Just another example of the close-knit, meaningful online friendships that are created here. A fellow we only knew by his posts, antics, and avatars, yet are so moved and saddened by his passing, the first thought that comes to mind is to help a new wet-shaver out (as Rolls many times did), with the products Rolls was most fond of (see, we know each other too well!)

That's just what I could think of on the spot, but is by no means the unabridged version :D. There are so many great things that going anywhere else makes me appreciate TSD even more - kinda like when you're on someone else's computer and are stuck using IE :shocked003
    The vast, eclectic, and wide-ranging arena of experts, somewhat-sperts, and what-the-heck-are-you-talking-about?-sperts really do help to not only make all of us better individuals, but TSD a very unique place.

Thank you TSD (yes, that means you if you're reading this!)

18. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Great job on all the posts so far here is mine....

Like many a person on here, shaving for me was a chore that i loathed and avoided as much as possible. Getting my face beat up by those multi-blade cartridges and paying the ridiculous prices drove me crazy mad. :mad: Probably 10 yrs ago, I started trying the "natural" brushless shave creams and "moisturizing" AS, balms, etc. Not can goop but not like the products we talk about here. Well I found out about the benefits of the alum block and started using that. I used it until it broke into several sharp pieces (i might have had something to do with that) and went without it for awhile. Then one day I decided it was time to get another and "googled" alum. Low and behold I ran into this Leisure Guy's "Later On" blog. I read some of his posts and started thinking how cool it would be to use those old razors. Found Em's Place from his post about where to order an Alum block. I went there and saw all the goodies and now I was really interested. Then, I checked out a few forums here and there and started lurking and educating myself. Then in Feb i went to an antique store never felt the need to go to one before and found a Krona and a Fatboy! Score! :D I made the jump and had my 1st DE wet shave on March 8th and later joined this forum and started posting here in April.

TSD to me means a great place to be able to ask questions and learn about different techniques, equipment, creams, soaps, AS, balms, milks...etc, etc.:eek::eek::eek: It’s also a great store to get awesome stuff. Shaving with a DE, SE or even more so with a straight can be a very intimidating thing especially when you have been raised with multi blade cartridge shaving and bombarded by all the advertising of such. However, here you get the support and the gentle nudge of a loving father or mother, "Go ahead, it will be alright, we’re here for you." I received GREAT advice and took that advice to heart as I branched out and looked at different types of razors and blades. I found that i really like SE razors thanks to a fuzzy bunny, a possum and a guy that makes some great instructional videos.

BUT WAIT that’s not nearly ¼ of it because you can probably get that elsewhere in a little different tone. Above all the friendly and helpful advice, the thing that makes this my 1st stop every day and all day is the honest camaraderie that I feel in here. This is my 1st message board/forum to take an active role in and I am really into it. I mean in all honesty its shaving we mainly discuss but if you venture into the other threads you learn about the individuals and what makes them tick. TSD is the distinct personality of its members and Rolls was definitely one of the most distinct.

It is very cool that I converse with people from all over the world that have all kinds of different backgrounds. From fellow Texans to fellow Americans to Euros, Assuies, Asians, Middle Easterners, etc, etc... Guys on here that write great English but it isn’t even their 1st language. I just think that is really friggin’ COOL and it is what makes me excited to get in to work in the AM after a great shave, check THE DEN and see what I missed the night before and what I can add throughout the day.

Good shaves to all!!!

19. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Thanks to all of those who have submitted their thoughts.

Let's see some more entries, folks. It's a beautiful prize.

I won't have internet access again until Sunday evening, so if some entries come in before I get back, I'll count them as fair game.

20. beyboo

beyboo New Member

The wonderful joy of learning and improving

Every man needs an identity for himself. He creates the identity from his belief system based on religion, upbringing, experiences, adventures, rituals & habits, loves and other such learnings. The belief system drives him to create and shape the world around him in his way. He connects his world to those of others via relations of friendship, ideology, common cause or even common fears or hatred. Each moment he makes decisions which allow him to create his dreams in to actual reality - the world he wants to see and live in.

These moments have a soul in them that drive and influence the decisions.

For me my belief system is based on being simple, peaceful, helpful doing my duties towards family, friends, country and mankind with little or no hurt to the other. People connect to me for the person that I am and the decisions I make in moments I have.

A strong central belief is to be free, independent and not to be dictated or told to do things in a way someone else sees right. I want to have my freedom to choose my way. This often involves choosing and walking paths which very few walk, perhaps no one walks. I do not like shortcuts. I would rather labor and reap the rewards than applying mindless techniques just because everyone else does so.

To walk these paths requires a state of mind, a strong faith in my beliefs and a strong resolve. I need to "build" this state of mind which I carry through in each moment of the day. Over the years I have contemplated and made habits which automatically tune my mind to that state.

And this starts by waking up early, exercising my soul by meditating, exercising my body to keep it fit. These apart the the most important ritual, is to groom myself in to a man. A good tidy haircut, and a daily perfect shave. To work up a rich hot lather, using an extremely sharp well engineered made instrument to skillfully shave my face. Thus creating that look which is so much a part of the image which people have of me. It is this image that make people want to believe in my decisions. These people put their faith in me and trust in my decisions. Their trust and faith helps me get closer in creating my reality from my dreams.

It was nowhere perfect in the early years as life's experience along with the hormones shaped a boy in to a man. A loathsome, uneventful, painful and worrisome affair. Buying Goo, cartridges more so torturous as it did not ring a bell with my central belief system to choose what I want to do. Attention used to shift to the razor burn, irritation and burning on my face for the most part of the day.

When I decided that this had to stop and started the quest to get this important ritual in my life right. I came across TSD thanks to google and a whole new learning window opened itself up to me. The drudgery turned to art in my life as I learned from the experiences, tips, and words of wisdom of so many individuals who had walked these paths, joyfully shared their experiences, failures, learnings and also the tools. Shaving became the art that it is today thanks to these wonderful people who smilingly and gently nudged me in to making corrections when I went wrong.

TSD also taught me valuable lessons to improve as a human being, what I used to strive for and what I want to labor for and become. Wonderful practices like PIFs helped me reaffirm my faith in my own beliefs and taught me anew. Threads like these make me want to be someone who will be remembered even after I am gone, with memories of my deeds, my goodness and my character. This is such a wonderful motivation.

Today my shave is not the loathsome morning duty, but a ritual which invigorates, boosts my confidence in myself and builds that perfect frequency through each moment of the day. People see a confident, balanced and focused leader when I give my decisions. I thank fellow members, the mods, and all the wonderful people at TSD for the enormous warmth, passion, knowledge and goodwill which will stay with me for life. And its so awesome to be able connect to a people from all walks of life, countries, beliefs all bound together like pearls via a single passionate hobby. Thank you TSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.