Rolls-stropping your DE blades 101....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by rollsshaver, Jan 28, 2009.

1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Matt, try shaving tomorrow WITHOUT stropping. I will frickin' bet you will definitely notice a difference then!!

2. Truckman

Truckman New Member

OK, tomorrow then.

3. rollsshaver

And then go kick a priest in the nuts!!

4. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Still ecperimenting with this, I need to settle down to one brand of blade for awhile so I can notice the small differences a little better.

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

been at it for the past cuppa shaves.................I think Rolls may be on to somethin here

6. lferg

lferg New Member

Same blade, same wife reaction, same results. I got my normal three shaves out of a Feather and tried for a fourth with no real luck. I quickly adapted to stromping with my back to her so she wouldn't yell at me. All and all I found no difference.

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yesterday I put a new Gem Stainless (Ted Pella) in my 1912 Gem with the travel handle. I corked it on, well, a cork from the wine bottle my wife had opened a few days ago. One pull on the cork, flip the blade, one more pull on the cork. Then I stropped it on my arm 6 times each side.

I must say that it was the best shave with a Gem Stainless I've had yet, maybe a little too good. Super sharp and smooth, coupled with the knowledge I was only going to do 2 passes allowed me to get way too close and I wound up with some blood. Today I stropped the same blade on my arm 6 times each side before using it in the same razor. Phenomenal. BBS, no burn, no irritation, which has yet to happen with the Gems and my Gem.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I've been at this for a few weeks now w/ various blades. I have also been corking w/ a styrofoam peanut (God, that sounds bad doesn't it? :D). These are my impressions.

This technique is beneficial once you've found a blade that works for you. I have not found it to improve upon blades that never shaved me well to begin with. When administered to a blade that shaves you well, it does smooth out successive shaves and extends blade life by about one shave I'd say. Maybe two.

It's a good technique that will be part of my routine from now on. Thanks Rolls!

9. rollsshaver

Rolls........ not Rodd............... Rolls. People get us mixed up alot. Actually, that is not true. It has never happened up until now.

Rodd, you must now change your name, number, date of birth, and your mothers maiden name. Sorry, but us old people get first pick, and 50% our meals at most resturaunts!!

10. rick

my sincere apologies, rolls................I was in the throes of severe sleep deprivation. No excuse but its all I gots.

.............post edited for accuracy !!

11. rollsshaver

Get Off My Lawn!!

12. rollsshaver

So, any new stroppers out there?

13. Batmang

Batmang New Member

I've been stropping new blades as I put them in prior to the first shave, but I don't bother after that. I even have a few styrofoam peanuts in the drawer to "cork" them as well. However, I'm not sure I can tell if it has made a difference.

Nathan

14. rick

Im a convert.........been doing it for a few weeks now and I do believe it makes a diff !! :happy096

15. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

So, anyone else been doing this method lately?

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

yeup.....

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Off and on.... I am trying some new blades currently and aren't trying to push past 3 shaves. But once I get back into a routine again I probably will. If nothing else, doing this has gotten me much more comfortable with taking the blades out and wiping them dry each day.

18. Truckman

Truckman New Member

yup.....

did it this morning as a matter of fact. :D

19. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yep, I do. Not always, but it works well.

20. lferg

lferg New Member

I did it for a month. I stopped and I don't see a real difference.