Rolls-stropping your DE blades 101....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by rollsshaver, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Just a thought.. It seems like the majority of the people who have tried my dads stropping method agree that it works, and the thread itself has gotten many more hits than your average Shave School thread. So, how about we make this thread a permanent sticky in thia particular forum?

Anyone else like the idea??

2. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I second the motion....

All in favor?

3. riffin

riffin Active Member

Aye!

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It is a great idea... and yes, I stropped this morning!

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

i found this thread for the 1st time on saturday when it popped back up to the top and used the method for my sunday shave. Need to find a styrofoam peanut to do the corking part.

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

A wine bottle cork will work (hence the name corking)... :D The peanuts I had were the newer ultra-lightweight ones, and I don't think they were doing anything. I think a more dense old-school type of peanut will work better...

7. Compa

Compa Member

I haven't consdered to strop the blades :/ but I think it is logic.
    Now, I was wondering if I could strop them with a more home-made device... like what if I put a blanket and tighten it around a straight surface and then use it to strop the razor? Will it work? :)

8. Gunner777

Gunner777 New Member

I doubt it but they did make a DE hone that is dished out in the center to run the blades back and forth. I have one and it's not very smooth.

9. Lawrenceu

Lawrenceu New Member

Funny, I have stropped safety razor blades on my Russian Red strop before. I just never thought about it. I figure a steel edge is a steel edge. If it helps a straight razor (Don't use one without stropping! You'll regret it if you do.) it out to help that little thin blade as well.

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

This should absolutely be a sticky!! It is great to review and get all charged up with great ideas again!!!

Sticky! Sticky! STicky!

Oh yeah - and to add something useful (maybe!). Some time ago I was using a wine bottle cork and kept dropping the dern thing. I had some sheet cork material like used on bulletin boards and it was sticky on one side. I merely cut a square and stuck it on a square drinking glass coaster and ended up with a great little 'cork board' for stropping blades. Works great. My 2cents.

11. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Good to see people are still finding this thread, and improving the quality of their shaves through it.

Seems like a good one to sticky....

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Well the people have spoken a Sticky it is. First it needs moved to the razors/Blades forum..... or should I keep it in the shave school........:confused:

13. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I would vote for Shave School personally. I think it is a matter of a required shaving skill rather than an equipment issue.

14. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

I would just like to tell you that I greatly appreciate you making my dads thread a sticky. He would have been very proud. I know I am.

15. ella

ella Member

Thanks for this post, the info is fascinating. I love knowing how things work :)

16. kevinxu

kevinxu New Member

Interesting idea to stropp a DE blade, I had never thought of that before.

17. Gunner777

Gunner777 New Member

I actually have a commercial hollowed DE blade hone. You press down in the center of the blade then move it back and forth in the hollow.

18. stubblefree

stubblefree New Member

This is education.......never stropped my blade ever.Have to try this.MY Wilkinson and/or 7O'clock always gave me over 20 comfortable shaves.Maybe I can improve on that as well.Thanks

19. smoky

smoky New Member

I stropped a blade I had used for two shaves, using the arm method. I had a better shave than when it was new. Since then I have tried the corking on a new blade with the stopping. Seams to work for me.

The other plus is Now I feel like I have a trick up my sleeve. :happy102

smoky

20. onehoopyfrood

onehoopyfrood New Member

I'm still(!) waiting for my first DE to be shipped, but I tried stropping my crummy Mach 3 last night, and it did seem to make a difference! This is a great trick to know:happy088