Rookie

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Medicdad417, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I've been looking at wet shaving for the past few weeks. Tired of over priced cartridges and looking for something more traditional.
    I love the classic look and design of saftey razors and have heard great review on the shave you get with them compared to cartridge types.
    I have a very small budget and any recommendations on a good start would be appreciated. I've been looking at wet shave club, any thoughts?

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you beginning your journey with us. My usual recommendation, and you'll get several, is to get the Micro Touch One or Van Der Hagen razor from Walmart or Target and the Van Der Hagen shave kit (the one with the brush, green bowl and soap) and start there. Total cost to get in is about $35. You'll get a few blades with the razor, not the best (for most of us) but you can get a blade sampler from westcoastshaving.com or order a few from tryablade.com. I'd recommend Voskhod (you'll get to know that's my normal suggestion) or Derby isn't bad to start with either. Actually, I'd be happy to send you some Voskhods to help out....just send me a private message with your name and address. Our resident shaving encyclopedia @GDCarrington will be along soon with several links and resources to help you get started. There will be other suggestions for a starter kit too so take it all in, make your choice and come on along for the best shaves you've ever had! Yes, it takes practice but you'll soon be a pro!

Welcome again and don't be shy about asking questions.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh, and by the way....welcome from a fellow Missourian as well! St. Charles here.

DaveTheWave81 and Rufus T. like this.
  4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Welcome!
    You've come to the right place.
    TSD is great place for wetshavers!
    Cheers!
    - RT

Garry's Sample Shop has an inexpensive starter kit and a simple way to get samples while you begin the hunt for your favs. I used it when I started in May.

trey06dmd and NCoxSTL like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! There are a number of lower cost razors available to you. Short of finding a bargain at an antique shop or thrift store, you could look at Cadet razors, or there is one on Amazon called a "Silvertone Razor" that is less than $3 and is actually not a bad razor. I have one I use as a travel razor. Here it is:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050HO9MI?tag=thshde-20&creativeASIN=B0050HO9MI

The Van Der Hagen brush and bowl set comes with a puck of shaving soap that is decent to get started with. Eventually you'll want to upgrade, but these are some inexpensive options to get started. I'm sure there will be some other good recommendations from others shortly.

Rufus T. and NCoxSTL like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD! I started with a Razorock Mission razor from ItalianBarber.com. $20 and includes a small blade sampler with 20 blades. I found it to be a decent razor and helped to minimize the start up costs. The one mistake I made when starting was buying a cheap badger brush off of Amazon. If you don't go with the VDH kit mentioned above, I would recommend looking at either Omega or Semogue boar brush to start.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Hello and welcome to TSD.

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Welcome aboard Sir...:cool:

Billy

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Medicdad417". Are you EMT?

I hope you enjoy it here.
    I also started on a budget and have found much of the "cheap" stuff works as well for me at least, as the in many cases, much more expensive stuff. While your YMMV my razor recommendations for a bullet proof, solid performing, reasonably priced safety razor would be an EJ89, Merkur, Cadet or a vintage Gillette "FAT" handle tech from ebay.
    A large blade sample pack is also a must. The more different blades you can try the better, in order to find the best blade/blades for your face. I'd also be happy to send you a few blades to try out if you'd like.
    The Van der Hagan shave kit(brush, ceramic lather bowl and boar or badger brush) is also a good starting buy. You can usually find these kits locally(drug store, Walmart, etc.) and many times on sale. VDH soap is inexpensive and really good. Ziploc small storage containers work wonderfully for soap storage. They are easy to find, cheap, stack well and seal well.
    I use Corn Huskers Lotion as my preshave and Nivea sensitive for my post shave.
    Time, technique, practice and patience are key to a close irritation free shave. I think your going to be happy to decided to give "traditional" shaving a try. :happy088:

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Glad you found us.

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

trey06dmd likes this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome to the Den. Lots of good advice here (above). There is a learning curve with DE razors, take your time, watch Mantic59 videos on YouTube. This way of shaving turns a chore into something enjoyable.

14. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I third Garry's. That's where I got my '46 - '50 Gillette Tech and Omega brush that I use most days. Also where I got my first stick of Arko. He also sends a certificate for a free exchange if you don't like the razor he sends or want to try something else.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

16. Medicdad417

I am a full time paramedic working in rual Missouri. Our closest real trauma center is 150 miles away, with most patients transported the 45 minutes to a local hospital.

17. Medicdad417

Wow! you guys have given me a lot to look at and think about. Thank you all so much. Looks like I have some more research to do....

wristwatchb and trey06dmd like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One thing you can be certain of here at The Shave Den is everyone is willing to help or offer recommendations to those just starting the wet-shaving journey. We've all been in your shoes at one time so I hardily recommend reading up on a number of the topical threads here.
    Oh... And welcome!

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

welcome to TSD!! a cheap starter kit is the Van Der Hagen shaving set. I have the cheaper one that comes with soap,bowl, and brush. decent DE razors can also be found at local beauty supply stores if online purchases are not an option.