Rotation?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark83, Feb 9, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

So how do you "rotate" your razors? Do you have specific days like Tech Tuesday, and so forth? Do you have 10 razors so every razor is so many days away? Or maybe you're like me and decide on a whim which one to use that day, or night. Are your soap, brush and AS choices dictated by the same formula?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit, Frijolero, Terry and 3 others like this.
  2. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I choose mine on a whim. I look at all the razors then decide after which razor I choose where to go with soap then brush. I don’t know that there is a right or wrong way to do it but that’s how I do it.

brit, Frijolero, Terry and 3 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

brit, Frijolero, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Decided to force myself to slowly reduce down to one razor, with maybe one or two stored as backups or to be used until I run out of blades for them, then I'll let them go. If I can find one razor that does what I now want a razor to do, the way I want it done, and I won't get bored looking at it (and I'm pretty much there now), I really can't justify to myself having a stable that I know won't get rotation.

5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

At this time, I shave every other day, religiously, no matter what day of the week it is. Therefore, some weeks I will shave 3 times and some weeks, I will shave 4 times. I now have 5 razors in my rotation. I do not plan on anymore, in fact, I may reduce the number to 4 very soon. I pick a new razor on Sunday or Monday, depending on which is a shaving day that weekend. I use that razor all week, until the next Sunday or Monday and pick up the next in line, and so on. I mostly choose shave soaps/creams on a whim, as well as aftershaves, but I do limit the soaps/creams and aftershaves to an active stable of 5 or 6 over periods of time. At some point, I'll put a few of each away and grab news ones, and so on! I do tend to favor certain soaps/creams with certain razors. I do not with aftershaves. I pick them purely of a whim.

brit, Frijolero, Terry and 2 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I spend a fair amount of my time in The 30 Day thread. It's a good place for new shavers to catch some intensive coaching. With the idea of doing a Rule (same setup for a month) or a Focus (variations of one item to distinguish differences) I'll play along until I just have to get some variety. For those veteran 30 Day Crew members that are coaches & cheer leaders we tend to have some theme each month. So Adjustable August, Single Edge September, Open Comb October, and the like offer a chance to revisit favorite razors for a spell. I haven't gotten to the point of going Minimalist, but I don't have as many of every blade holder type now. My preferences are developing with the Newbie scattershot gotta try everything problem settling down. Brushes tend to be chosen on a whim or as needed for a particular cream or soap that generally are chosen by inspiration - seeing someone else using and I remember I have that one, too.

TLDR; Set rotation? Nope.

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey Mark
    I have my favorites, then I have my other favorites. Then I have the ones that give me problems, I think should be a favorite of mine.
    Sometimes it is because I think one needs some shave love, sometimes it's because I read some one used a particular razor.
    I organize all my razors alphabetically by hight or line them up using the temperature scale kelvin by color.
    Just have fun with it..
    Your way is the right way...every time!
    Enjoy
    tp

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am down to two razors. When I get tired of one, I clean it and start using the other one. I usually shave with the same razor for two or three weeks.

brit, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Randomly pick stuff here.

BigMark83, Primotenore, brit and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i choose on a whim also, but get some inspiration by what i see here at the den, i also do focuses to dial in certain razor types ..same with brushes, soaps etc..

11. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

With razors, I don't generally switch every day.
    When I do, I go with whatever grabs me at the moment.

Lancre, BigMark83 and brit like this.
  12. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm an odd one out so far. I shave daily during the work week normally Mon.-Fri. and sometimes work Sat-Sun. So I have my daily drivers hardware wise (Razor & Brush) and will switch in something different on weekends or if I have extra time in the morning for whatever reason. I also have my two travel kits that I rotate at work, in case I don't have time to shower/shave at home. Software wise I rotate what I feel like but will normally match scents to the season or will grab a trusted/true vintage Williams and Aqua Velva combo.

johnnyflake, RyX, BigMark83 and 2 others like this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I rotate my tires, not my razors.

Frijolero, RyX, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  14. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I just kind of pick one on a whim, no real rhyme or reason. Right now, seems like the older the better.

Frijolero, RyX and Eeyore like this.
  15. tonyav214

tonyav214 Member

I rotate my razors according to category in groups of five each from DE, SE, INJ no carts no SR. I shave every other day and change blades every 6 uses.
    It takes me awhile to get thru my inventory because I have over 200 razors that rotate dating back to the 1900s to the present. It’s quite a fun hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. brit

brit in a box

very cool, it is a fun hobby, enjoy..

17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

If I didn't do shave videos, I'd probably only have 3-4 razors..
    A couple are sentimental so I keep them, hiwever, I could use a MMOC as a daily driver without issue.
    Most folks would quit watching if I just used one setup.

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  18. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo......

brit, RyX, BigMark83 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I rotate through several razors, soaps, brushes etc. I use the “Shaving Buddy” app to keep track of everything. I just pick at random and off I go...might do a run of OC followed by SS, Adjustables etc.

brit likes this.
  20. tonyav214

tonyav214 Member

The fun is in the doing, isn’t it? No matter what the method used. Play on!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TommyCarioca and brit like this.