Russian blade shootout

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Dec 15, 2015.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

20151215_054355.jpg I've tried most of the blades made in the Gillette Saint Petersburg plant before but I ran across this sampler pack on eBay that had a bunch of Russian made blades that I haven't tried so I couldn't resist. I have tried the Voskhods and liked them but have never used any of the others. All are made in Moscow except the Rubies which are a Petersburg blade I haven't tried.

So as I work through all of these I thought I'd put my thoughts on them in here. So far I've tried a Voskhod in my Progress and a pre-war Tech. It worked great in the Progress. In the Tech, I get a comfortable shave but it's not as close and leaves some whiskers behind. I'm going to keep shaving with it until it gets dull or rough and see how long it lasts but initial impression is that it's a nice smooth blade but not super sharp, which makes it a perfect choice for me in a more aggressive razor.

Recklesstr, Keithmax, Joef and 6 others like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I really like the voskhod blades but I amazed how blades perform differently in different razors, there are so many variables in de shaving that help keep things exciting. :happy108:

Primotenore and BigCabDaddy like this.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Never tried the Voskhod blades but because I've read many positive accolades on the Voskhod I ordered and am awaiting 100 to arrive any day now. Hope the hype lives up. Currently a Astra SP guy. I realize that there are many other great blades out there but I'm a bang for the buck guy. Would rather pay a bit more for something good but within reason.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Robyflexx

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by them, please post your thoughts ounce you've tried them. :)

Red Rider likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There was a group buy on the Voskhod several years back. Folks buying up 200-300 blades a shot. Glad I didn't. I tried a 5-pack first; I wasn't impressed. But that's me.
    Hope you like 'em.

6. Robyflexx

I'm waiting on this pack

[​IMG]

7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Cool. Let us know on your findings and observations.

8. Robyflexx

I've tried them all except for the ladas which I will post up on. Love the rest of them though.:)

tuxxdk and BigCabDaddy like this.
  9. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I really liked the Ladas blades. They are my second favorite blades behind the Gillette Silver Blues, but I have more of them because they can be found pretty cheap on Ebay. The Voskhods were ok for me, not bad but not the best either. @NCoxSTL is the expert in Russian blades. He did a competition among the blades back in June. See HERE. Of course like everything it is YMMV. Definitely let us know your thoughts on all of them.

NCoxSTL and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Robyflexx

I certainty will, thank you for the information.:)

wmbjr likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I have a Vokshod from my sampler queued up for tomorrow's shave with my Slim. It's a solidarity thing for the birthday of someone on B&B who is offering a PIF of 100 Vokshod blades.

I'm curious to try it, though. So far, the only Russian blades I've used are the Astra SP and the GSB.

12. Robyflexx

Let us know your thoughts on it please.:happy088:

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I have a lifetime supply of these Russian blades. I bought a bunch earlier this year when the Ruble tanked. While I like them, and get good shaves from them, they're soon to be trade bait for Feathers. I pulled out the tub in which I keep all of my blades and felt like a dummy. "Man, I'll never use all of these!"

14. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I think you might find the two to be a perfect pairing. Astra is sharp but not particularly smooth. So far, Voskhud seems very smooth to me but I'm not sure how sharp it is.

Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Robyflexx

That's what I find the most pleasing I think BigCabDaddy, the comfortable shave they provide me but even more so the fact that they seem to do so in all my razors, which is a huge factor for my personal blade choices.:)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  16. BigCabDaddy

Always remember, it's about technique, not equipment. ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. BigCabDaddy

I think I may have stumbled into the perfect storm bad pairing of them in this new red tip I just got. I'm trying hard not to have the past couple shaves sour me on one or both of them. Tomorrow I think I'll try a Feather in the Red Tip and then I'll try the Voskud in the Ranger after that. Those two should greatly add perspective.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088: My point in that was that if you find one blade you can use in one razor, then with proper technique you should be able to use that blade in any razor.
    Problem is you can't use every blade in some razors, no matter how good your technique.

Or something like that :ashamed001:

19. Robyflexx

The red tip has become my favorite razor lately, the added bit of aggressiveness allows me to shave my ruff spots with less passes and it even got me liking my astra sp blades again. Sure feels sturdy in hand as well.:)

Primotenore and BigCabDaddy like this.
  20. BigCabDaddy

Based on everything I've read, I'm thinking the red I got is some kind of anomaly. It bends the blade so far that the blade practically disappears making it hard to find an angle that does anything at all. I've gotten OK shaves with the Voskhud/Red Tip pairing but basically I've done five pass shaves where my usual is three and one pass is ATG which I consider a huge no no.

Robyflexx likes this.