Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    These Guys had No Faith in USSR SRs & were Sent to the Salt Mines in Siberia..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

@NCoxSTL, as a member in good standing of the Russian Blade Cartel, I move that we send the boys over to welcome the Russian straight razor users. @Bama Samurai , will you second?

3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Of course Comrade, you are right to correct me - long live the Motherland. You will notice, of course, that they are well shaven. :rofl:

4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting tidbit I turned up on the STIZ Moscow factory on this site:
    СТИЗ (STIZ), USSR.
    Located in Moscow 1950 - 1990.
    Russian name of the factory - СТИЗ(STIZ) - Завод СТальных ИЗделий (Factory of Steel Products).
    Trademarks: STIZ, СОЮЗ(SOUZ), Заря(Zariy), МАРС(MARS), Столичная(Stolichnaya), Восток(Vostok), Спартак(Spartak).
    The factory was created in post-war years on the technical base copied from the Germans.

Interesting influence from the Germans... To the victor goes the spoils. :chores016:

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have this one inbound. I look forward to trying it.
    [​IMG]
    It looks like a certain eBay seller owes a commission to Billy

6. Billyfergie

That's a Lovely NOS Example by the Looks of it..A Commission..I Wish..:happy097:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

8. mrchick

How about our undying love and respect instead?

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very good. Welcome to The Shave Den, and thanks for offering your razors to us. I have one enroute from you, as we speak.
    Thanks for the information about the Russian razors. All information is helpful and very welcome.

10. Billyfergie

Hello Mykola

Good to See You here..My Name is Billy that Just Bought the Russian SR from You in (Scotland) in the UK & had Some Recent Communication with You After I Honed it..I think I have Started a Russian SR Revolution here as a Few Folks have Bought One Since I Posted my thoughts on USSR SRs..You Owe Me a Russian Vodka or Two..:happy097:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  11. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

Would like som russian hones too.russian sr honed on russian hone is just right☺

12. mrchick

Welcome and thank you for the info. What can you tell me about the one I ordered? I see that it is was made after 1975.
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That Sputnik looking logo is the symbol for the Stiz factory and I think the box says it was 3 rubles. Someone with more knowledge than me can probably use that to help date it. :)

14. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. After 1961 everything in USSR have stamped price on it, prices during all 30 year until end of Union sometimes were changed, we can by the price find approximately age of any Soviet products :)

Here little bit information about second famous manufacturer of straight razor in Soviet Union - factory "Tруд"(Trud) that means labor in English. This factory founded in early 1800's and worldwide famous highest quality cold steel arms, surgical instruments, cutlery etc. is located in Vacha, Nizhny Novgorod region.
    I couldn't find information when production of razors on this factory was stopped, but I didn't see their razors with date late 1969 or without stamp. Mostly of them have stamp on both side of erl, name of the model on one side and factory stamp with two digits on other side, two digits means year of production. Some of the razor, especially older ones, have only factory stamp with year on one side of erl. There are several examples on pictures.

Attached Files:

15. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Your Zarja (Dawn in Russian) has inscription on the case "РСТ РСФСР 44-75" it means made according to standard of Russian Federation number 44 from 1975. Price "3 rubles" was actual till early 1980's, so your razor for sure was made between 1975 and early 1980's.

16. mrchick

I have a coworker that speaks and reads Russian. He tells me that my scales say "Dawn".

17. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

18. mrchick

You crack yourself up, don't you?

19. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Da..Comrade..:happy097:

20. Billyfergie

A Couple of Tips for Folks that have Sent for a Russian SR after My Recent Experience of Honing One for What its Worth..I Aint No Expert..:angelic007:

When You get You're Soviet SR just Hone it Like any Other Razor..I Use Lynn Abrams Circle Method that he Shows on You Tube..Just Keep Repeating the Sets..That's it..If You Get an NOS One it will Take Some Time to Set the Bevel..If its Had a Hone Job before it Wont take as Long..:D

These Harder Steel Soviet SRs are Not Hard to Hone so to Speak..It just Requires More Patience than You May be Used to Applying..If there is a Challenge its a Challenge of You're Patience..:happy097:

I Used..1 K 3 k 5 K 8 K 12 K Naniwa Super Stones..:cool:

It will Appear to be Hone Resistant when Working on the Bevel..Trust Me..But it will Eventually Take Shape & Sharpen..Don't be Tempted to Force it to Cut..That's All I Can Say..It Took Me a Long Time to Set the Bevel & Put it through the Progression..It will Take More Sets than Normal Going through the Progression as Well..If You Get Frustrated by How Slow its Cutting take a Break & Walk Away..:p

I Also Stropped it for 200 Sets on Leather before Shaving with it..100 More than Normal..The Bottom Line here is that Its Just Very Hard Steel that is Alien to us Western Folks...This is What Throws a Lot of Folks...Its as Simple as That..:happy088:

Happy Honing Comrades..:)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016