Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Here is a 1954 Russian Britva Special..Made at the "Стиз"(STIZ) Factory in Moscow..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Although the str8 used here is probably Italian...I am going to post this Str8 razor video here....Because I'm nurturing a hankering for a Russian Str8 sumpthin fierce!
    I think the techniques presented here are invaluble for a quick prep and shave when time is of the essence...

Karl G, twhite, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  3. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Top one "Osobaya"(Special in Russian) made at STIZ factory in Moscow, because of the rust I can not read two digits stamped on shoulder beside of emblem of factory, it seems like "71", which means year of production 1971. Moreover its case made exactly in 1970's or even late, in 1950's cases from this factory and manufacturer sign look different.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I'm getting one of those milkshake lather makers for sure. :rofl:

Stay tuned, I have four Russian beauties - one each from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s - arriving after having received a @gssixgun honing. Pictures coming to a screen near you in the very near future. :happy093:

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Four? That's great. Any pics of your little Russian Beauties??

6. mlys7884

I'm waiting for your and @gssixgun review about steel quality of blade from 1940's in comparing with other Soviet razors made after WWII

7. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Commie SR Hogger..:rofl:

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Comrade, that is known as a Collective. :happy093:

9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

After a few travel delays I finally made it home and got to revel a bit in my recent plundering of eBay. The Motherlode has arrived. :happy036:

I've been waiting months for some of these. I had a stream of razors going to @gssixgun for honing over the last several months and he stockpiled them for me and forwarded as a group when the last made it in. One beautiful French frameback and five superb Russians. Despite Napoleon being French the Russkies put up with her due to her charms so I'm including her in the pics. To top it off a display and storage case for my straights came in a couple of days before they arrived. Here it all is:

The six razors and case together - top left and bottom left going across - a 1941 Russian made in the Trud (Labor) factory founded in early 1800's and where worldwide famous, highest quality cold steel arms, surgical instruments, cutlery etc. were manufactured. History buffs will recall 1941 as the year when Nazi Germany invaded Russia. Next is a 1956 Mockba (Moscow) with an engraving of a scene in St. Petersburg (I think the Admiralty building). 1956 is my birth year so, yeah, I had to have it. Next to that is a 1961 Paketa (Rocket). 1961 is the year Yuri Gagarin became the first man launched into space. I've had this one for a while and include it to complete the sequence of decades shown. It competes for being my top straight. Going to the bottom row we start with an early 1970s Utro (Morning). The smile is calling to me. From later in the 1970s is the Boctok - 2 (Vostok - 2) also commemorating the space program, and completing the sequence is the Arbenz French frameback. Except for the 1941 all the Russian razors were made in the STIZ factory in Moscow. The case is from Penn State Industries and holds 24 razors (available on Amazon.) Just big enough to keep my collection and save a couple of spots if the affliction doesn't stay in remission. :happy102:

Open Russians and Frameback in case.JPG

Here they are properly stored in the case:
    Case with Razors closed.jpg

Here are the razors featured separately in the same order as above:
    1941 Russian.jpg

1956 Mockba
    1956 Mockba Russian.jpg

1961 Paketa
    1961 Paketa Russian.jpg

Early 1970s Ulto
    1970s Utro Russian.jpg

Later 1970s Boctok - 2
    1970 Boctok - 2 Russian.jpg

Arbenz French Frameback
    Arbenz Frameback.jpg

Happy shaving Comrades - Karl

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

found out i had a real dud myself.not a russian but an wostenholm ixl. had tried different hones and techniques,since the bevel was unusual wide i tried with two and three layers of tape on it.two worked best,wihc i think it`s strange since it had almost no hone were at the spine..when i finally got is shave ready sharp it started to pull after a few strokes. so i gave up on it.so before i threw it in the bin i gave it a few hits against the sink.no cracks or splints,just some soft round dents at the edge.this had to be soft as butter.

Drygulch, twhite, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  11. mlys7884

:happy096:

By the way, you still have some empty spots in this beautiful case :signs002:

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Maybe if you find one from Czarist Russia or something... :happy097:

13. Billyfergie

:happy036:

Karl G, twhite and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Any pics? If nothing else, save the scales, if they are good.

15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I just noticed the case for the Boctok - 2 has a price of 4 rubles (I think.) Does this date it to the '80s instead of the 70s? That would be sweet. Then I'd have a 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s razor. :happy093:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  16. mlys7884

No, this one from 70's, price was same - 4 rubles, but standard on the case is 44-75, in 80's it has been changed for 44-81.

DSCN2383.JPG

Drygulch, Karl G, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  17. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Member

Devils advicate here...are there any really spectacular Russian razors or are they more utilitarian?

Bjoerge Brathagen likes this.
  18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I am no expert but I can say definitively that they shave incredibly well and there are differences between decades and factories. The later in the timeline, the harder the steel seems to be is the general rule. The three I have shaved with are all incredibly sharp with various degrees of smoothness. My 1941 is the smoothest. Thus far my Russkies are in the top tier with a few other select razors from Germany, England and Japan. If they were utilitarian I'd sell them. Life is too short to shave with a passable razor. :D

19. mlys7884

This actually what I wanted heard...you just confirm my opinion about ZTV made before WWII:happy088:

20. DaltonGang

I agree that they, for the most part, are excellent shaving razors, with very good steel. I disagree about the utilitarian aspect. Most are the epitome of utilitarian. Plain looking, not really attractive, but great shavers. The Russians did make some that were somewhat attractive. After WWII they seemed to be less attractive, and more utilitarian.