Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rah:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Comrades, even a True Son of the Motherland can awaken and experience Revolution from the heart like never before. Da, is true. I just had my first shave with the freshly honed 1956 Extra from the ZTV factory. I am blown away. :happy036:

The Extra is reported to be made from the hardest steel used for razor production in that factory. All I can say is the edge @gssixgun put on it was like a laser beam. It has to be the sharpest I've ever shaved with. I really wanted to compare the ZTV factory to the STIZ factory. Having shaved with a 1956 from each I can say the ZTV made razors are my clear favorite. As noted in my SOTD this razor is an exacting mistress. With a very shallow angle the whiskers surrender without a fight. But, if you bring it in a little too steep, well, you won't do that again. This one cuts quickly if you don't handle her the way she wants. :shocked003:

I wouldn't say this is as butter knife smooth like my 1941 ZTV but it is very smooth. You hear that stubble popping and can feel it happening but no resistance is felt. Da comrades, the Motherland is Glorious. :smiley respect:

Extra 1956 ZTV 6:8 AOS HASS SR AOS.JPG

Happy shaving comrades - Karl

3. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Yeah, finally I heard about results of comparison test STIZ vs ZTV of same years :eatdrink047:

4. Billyfergie

Lovely Commie SR that Karl..:eatdrink047:

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Glad you found me that 1956 ZTV so I could compare. Of course, to each his own but I think everyone ought to have at least one of each to check it out. :rofl:

6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This is my other birth year Russian razor - the last one was from the ZTV factory, this one is from the STIZ factory. Less sharp but more forgiving. My shave with it today was the second shave on it since I touched it up on the white Arkie. Very little alum noise and no drama while shaving. Maybe not quite as close a shave as the ZTV shave a few days ago but face-rubbing goodness for sure. Clearly a personal preference thing as to which is better. Seems to be a trade-off on sharpness vs. forgiveness. :)

Note: The ZTV had been finished on a Thuringian so I am not sure the forgiving nature of the STIZ can be fully attributed to having been finished on a white Arkie. At some point in the future I'll put the ZTV to the Arkie and maybe it'll be clearer. :happy088:

Moscow 1956 case.jpg

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, it's May 1st, "May Day". Time to break out your Commie Razors.

8. DaltonGang

Well, I Boo Boo'ed my "EKSTRA" ZTV 1956. It was resting on a hand towel, at the edge of the sink. I was cleaning up for another shave with it (moving the wife's junk). The towel got bumped, and the razor fell to the floor. Lucky for me it landed on a rug, so I thought. Upon close examination, there was a 1/4 inch rolled edge, in the middle. Almost unnoticeable, but it was there. I guess the edge bumped the scales. Bummer. I guess it will need a new bevel set.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Arghhh. But no chips or cracks. :happy088:

10. DaltonGang

I got off easy. Just a little stone work, and it will be up and running again.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You need the 'edge straightener' hone that I saw on ebay a while back. (I have no idea why the seller called it that. Looked like a rock to me)

12. DaltonGang

Or, I could just drop it again, this time on the other side. Theoretically, shouldn't this straightened it out.?:scared011:

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Comrades, I always say that if you embrace the Motherland, the Motherland will embrace you. Da, today she gave me a bear hug. An absolutely stellar, one of the best ever, shaves. Proud sons of the Rodina, it is time to put Russian steel to your faces!

With a slight smile on it, this early 1970s Russian Utro from the STIZ factory can compete with the best of the ZTV production. Da, is true. :happy036:

Utro 11:16 STIZ AOS MNSBS TH AOS.JPG

Happy shaving comrades - Karl

14. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

Here's my little collection so far...

[​IMG]

СТИЗ Pакета 1961, its a 5/8" half hollow with smiling spine.

[​IMG]

СТИЗ Москва 1955, 5/8" half hollow.

Both purchased from our Ukrainian friend :)

mrchick, DaltonGang, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Great Razors..The Earlier Ones are the Dogs Danglies..The Later Ones Can be a Bit of a Gamble as they were Primarily Made for the Tourist Industry as We Move through the 70s Time Line ..:)

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Da Comrade, you have impeccable taste. I can vouch for these fine examples of the Proletariat labor. Born of the Revolution, your love of the Motherland runs true. Shave on to Glorious tomorrows! :eatdrink047:

Russians.jpg

17. DaltonGang

Very nice set of Russians. Please let us know how they shave.
    BTW, welcome to The Shave Den. When you get a chance, head over to, the Welcome Center section, and introduce yourself.

Karl G, Spyder, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  18. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

Thanks for the warm welcome gents, I'll pop in to the welcome section when I have a spare five minutes. As for how they shave? Soviet steel is hard and joyless, like Russian turnip... But we would not want it any other way ;)

[​IMG]

M14Shooter, Karl G, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  19. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

I just want to show very nice razor "Podarok"(Gift) by ZTV which now coming back to Russia :)
    DSCN7538.JPG DSCN7540.JPG

Karl G, M14Shooter and Billyfergie like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.