Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. DanielB

DanielB Member

I am please to announce that a new comrade from Canuckistan will soon be entering the fold and joining you, who have already seen the light. I have been DE shaving since Christmas 2015 and have been adding razors (5 now) but until recently had never really considered a straight. Then, about a month or two ago, I saw a SOTD post somewhere in which a black Stiz Paketa was shown off, and I said to myself, "I love that little rocket. If I ever get a straight razor, that's what I want".

It is my birthday today. So recently, when I was asked what I'd like for my present, I began researching straights, and specifically those from Russia, and of course found this thread. I read the whole thing and then searched for and was lucky enough to find a beautiful black 1964 Stiz Paketa that the seller, our Ukranian friend @mlys7884, says appears to be in unused condition. It is currently in transit, direct from Ukraine to @gssixgun in Idaho, based on the recommendations in this thread. There are of course plenty of other people more local who I could have sent it to for setting the bevel/honing it, but I wanted to go with someone I knew had experience with vintage Russian steel.

It will depend on shipping time and honing turn around time, of course, but I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to get it by the end of month. I'm very excited! I shave daily (to BBS) and am thinking I'll likely use the Rocket once or twice a week, at least to start with. We'll see!

As a newbie, I don't have a strop so I'm still researching and debating what kind to get. My shaving hobby is bankrupting me, so I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible. I was considering a Sam Sylver(roctraitor) nylon but any recommendations would be welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Karl G, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  3. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    USSR 1/2 Hollow 5/8th
    French Fitchard Pure Badger
    Valobra Tallow Soap
    Logona Mann Balm

I had a Glorious Shave for the Motherland Today with My Russian 5/8th 1/2 Hollow...I Had One of My Smoothest & Finest SR Shaves Today with this Wonderful 1962 Birth Year Commie SR..:)

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice addition. :happy088::happy088:

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Billyfergie

:thanks:Scott.. @Karl G Kindly Sent Me this One Over as a Present a Wee While Ago..:love055:

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is my Rocket, Comrades.
    Rocket15.JPG

Keithmax, Drygulch, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Welcome comrade! Embrace the Motherland and she will embrace you. Da, is true. :happy088:

Sometimes it takes a while for those Russkies to make it across the ocean. Has your Rocket landed yet? :D

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

Welcome to the Commie Razor Thread. May your hones with these be far and few between.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  9. DaltonGang

This one Just arrived. It needs to be put to the hones. Unknown manufacturer. It does look like the one owned by @mrchick .

P2071498.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Karl G, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  10. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

The inscription on the scales says: (GE Moskva) ZARYA P(rice) 3 R(ubel)

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Awesome, thanks.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Here is the box it came in.

s-l1600.jpg

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It looks a lot like mine. I'll check when I get mine unpacked.

Karl G, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Update. The razor has been identified by a fellow members wife. Thanks @Heljestrand23 . Also, thanks @Billyfergie for help in Identification too.
    Stiz, "Dawn", Made in Moscow. 1975

P2141532.JPG

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  15. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

This is my first post! I am looking for some advice. I have been shopping for my first straight for a few weeks. After wet shaving for 3 or 4 years, I have decided I want to step up to straights. I want to learn to hone as well as shave with one. Do you think a pair of vintage Russians would be a bad first set? One professionally honed to start practicing my shave, and one to start practicing my honing? I don't know why I keep coming back to the Russians; maybe because I am more concerned with steel than style, and they are inexpensive, and I won't feel like I am destroying a collector's item, but really there is just something about them...
    Thoughts? Advice?

16. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Russian Razors Like Any Vary in Quality..Some of the Later 1970s Ones are the Absolute Pits..They were Made for the Tourists..I Would Suggest 1960s Models or Earlier..Mine is a 1962 Model..Lovely Shaver..As Far as Honing Goes..Learn to Shave & Strop..6 Months at Least..Forget Honing for a While..:happy088:

17. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

Thanks for the advice! Your posts on this thread are some of the main impetus for my interest in the Russian straights. I will be looking for a "Dawn" or "Rocket" but am open to others. Most for sale on the e bay right now are 60's. I like round nose razors (I don't do facial hair, so no need for pokey points to shave around my stache), but will try to find one with a smile on the blade and one without just for the sake of learning what I like.
    I get the impression you and the other posters on this thread are buying direct from a seller in the Ukraine. How did that work? Are those sales going through e bay or another website, or direct?
    Thanks Again!

18. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Russians are good Straights .Very hard steel that will hold an edge for quite a while.Make sure you get one in very good shape.You do not want excessive hone wear or compromised steel from corrosion . Most Russians I believe are Quarter Hollow ground.A Quarter Hollow will have a different feel than a Full Hollow .I would recommend that you buy one Russian and try a Hollow Ground German blade .That way you get to know what style straight you like .

Karl G, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  19. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

That sounds like good advice. I was originally looking at buying a pair of Dovo's before getting attracted to the Russians. I am very likely going to get one Russian, and will re evaluate getting vintage solingen.
    Thanks for the Tip!

20. DaltonGang

There are sellers from Russia, Lithuania, Romania, and Ukraine, that I have seen. @M14Shooter is correct, find one in good shape. I don't mind a little bit of corrosion, or tarnish, as long as it isn't on the bevel. Usually, the Russian razors aren't the prettiest, but some members have some nicely decorated one's. Read some of the beginning posts, and people talk about the good ones etc. Be aware of shipping costs, they are usually many times what the cost of the razor is.