Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

CLEMSON TIGER, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Where do I go to get the Volga? :rofl:

3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Me want a Russian Volga..Cool for Cats..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

4. Bjoerge Brathagen

now i am finish.this one was a real challenge.had to brake some honing rules and to use some muscle.part of the edge had no contact but the bevel had,so had to remove som steel.a couple hundred half x-strokes with pressure did the trick.it became insanely sharp.tomorrow will be shave test.it will shave,but if it`s smooth i have no idea. finished on my black ark.

5. Billyfergie

These Russian SRs will be Insanely Sharp..The Smoothness Maybe Take a bit of Tweaking with the Finisher & Pastes..:happy088:

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent news. Congratulations on getting the bevel set. Did you work up a sweat?

7. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Oh Yeah..Comrade..:rofl:

Bjoerge Brathagen, mrchick and Karl G like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Not your typical Soviet/USSR Era Russian hottie. Put about 80 lbs on her and she could have done a photo shoot on a Volga.

9. Bjoerge Brathagen

It was my most challanging razor so far.nice to get it done:)it was quite resistent this one.just hopes it shaves well:)

CLEMSON TIGER, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Billyfergie

I Reckon these Wont Need Honed Again for Who Knows How Long..If I was taking an SR into the Field as a Soldier it would be a Commie SR..Oh..Yeah the Russian 7.62 AK 47 as Well..:D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  11. DaltonGang

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Bjoerge Brathagen

test shave done. just want to say WOW that was smooooooth.this it actual a very good shaver.i have no problem putting it amongst top brand razors.it was a tough job getting there,but very rewarding:) this is a keeper:)

13. Billyfergie

:happy096:Oh..Aye..Comrade..They are Sharp & Smooth Man..They are Indeed Up there with Top Notch Shavers for Sure..:kar:

Karl G and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  14. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that this razor is good in shaving. I getting razor of this factory- "Мосэлектроприбор"(Moselectro Pribor), not often and your review is very helpful.
    As I know Russian razors which were made since 1970's are more aggressive in shaving than ones which were made in period between end of WW II and late 1960's.
    Especially if we talking about razors manufactured by STIZ factory, many of people whose using these razors, say - the best blades were made at this factory in 1950's.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thank you! That makes sense. See @Billyfergie, I wasn't completely crazy. I am going to have to drag this one out and give it another chance though.

Karl G, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Bjoerge Brathagen

Are you getting any 1950's STIZ razors? If so i would be interested if they are in good condition

18. Bjoerge Brathagen

Would be fun to see hove many shaves they could do without stropping.might be a good travel razor

19. Billyfergie

As Far as I Can Gather the Earlier One are Softer Steel & Allegedly Easier to Hone.. @Bjoerge Brathagen & Mine are Later Models but the Grinds & Steel are Par Excellent..This Would Concur with what the Vendor Said about the Softer Steel Models will be More Forgiving..This is Why they Seem to be Sought after by Some Folks & Due to the Fact the Later Ones Can be a Challenge to Hone..:)

That Later 70s Model I Have & as @Bjoerge Brathagen has Said a Surgically Sharp Edge but On a Decent Finisher they are Very Smooth..They Do Require a Feather Like Touch like Some Vintage Japanese Hard Swedish Steel SRs...These Later Models May be Harder Steel than Earlier Models but the Grinds Whilst being Nothing Fancy Hit the Spot where it Matters..;)

They are Far Better Ground than a Few Current Brand Name SRs that I Wont Mention that are Popular..:D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  20. Billyfergie

Great Mind think Alike Comrade..You have Obviously came to the Same Conclusion as Me..They are Darn Robust Edges..I Reckon these Russian SRs just Might Shave for 7 Days without Stropping..I Dunno..But Hey..:happy088: