Safety razor for a beginner

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idtsd, Apr 19, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

You don't HAVE to get rid of anything honestly but your face will probably thank you for it if you do. There's a great shaving cream called Cremo that doesn't require a brush and does a great job. That being said when you get used to it the brush and lather are incredibly satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There are no beginner razors or blades.

Just buy whatever you think looks cool. We'll help you master it. Blades don't matter nearly as much as technique.

Yeah, I know this is the opposite of what most advice indicates.

3. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

I use cremo excusivly. Doesnt lather much but super slick and does the job well.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

The same one they sell at walmart? Looks like a lotion bottle?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LevelupShaves likes this.
  5. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

That's the one the cooling scent is awesome they have a plain and sandalwood as well. I use them when I travel sometimes or when I'm in a hurry in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

RIMEI -Yeah, that's what I mean.
    Thanks Bookworm.
    Auto-correct spelling gets away from me sometimes.

Great starter razor.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Brushes and soaps/creams are part of the fun of wet shaving as a hobby. But, I get excellent shaves with just a shaving oil, if I am in a rush. Something like Cremo, from WalMart/Target/Walgreens, etc., is a big step better than canned foam, and you can use it without a brush.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  8. wasson

wasson New Member

I vote for the Merkur 34c HD razor. It was my first, and I still love to shave with it.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is really nothing wrong with Barbasol in the can. Once you learn lather technique usung a brush with a soap or cream is not that time consuming or messy.

RetLEO-07 and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

For a beginners DE I'd go with lastrazor.com. You get a DE razor, shaving creme, and blades for $5. You can cancel the shaving creme and blades at any time.

11. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

After trying my black handle 1974 Super Speed, I recommend the Weishi 9306 as heavier and more efficient. I don't regret plopping money down on my birth year razor, but I was surprised. I also recommend the Merkur 34c, since it has good weight to it and is considered milder. Unless you really dig in with the razor, your chances of cutting yourself are minimal to nonexistent.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I just checked, and they no longer have any sort of deal like this. Their least expensive razor is $16.00 as of today.