Safety Razor Price Guide

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Kawika503, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

[​IMG]

Ever since my recent acquisition of a few vintage razors, it go t me thinking about how little I know about the "retail market value" of most vintage razors. Basically, I went in blind and hoped for the best. Which was really fun, don't get me wrong, however I'd like to be able to continue to treasure hunt and if I'm overpaying for these things, then really, what's the point. I'm going to an antiques fair in a couple of weekends and I'd like to be at least a little more knowledgeable before I start shelling out hard earned cash for vintage swag!

I tried to google "pricing guide for vintage razors" and all I could really find were references to the book shown above and this link. The book shown was published circa 1995...that's 18 years ago! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the values in this guide probably aren't as accurate as it was when it was printed. I find myself "watching" things on Ebay, just so I can see what the median price ends up being. Really...that the only way I've been learning how to "set values" on vintage razors. There's got to be a better way...right?

What resources do you use?

Are there are resources printed or created (online) within the last 5 years?

Are there any sites online sites that give information (with pictures) and values of all the different razors I might encounter?

How do I attain all this wonderful razor knowledge?????

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

www.google.com

Then search on the terms <razor name> price. For example:

Gillette Slim price

and then look at the various results. Doing a similar search on eBay and the wetshaving forums should also prove helpful.

I have never seen a printed resource universally accepted as authoritative. For one thing, eBay bidding can push sale prices up to ridiculous levels. "Antique" stores, on the other hand, typically seek profit, but also want to move product quickly. Razors can also be found at flea markets and estate sales. With so many different types of sellers, it would be hard to get them all on the same page, so to speak.

If you are looking for pictures of razors and blades (those are collectible, too), try http://mr-razor.com/.

Hope this helps!

Kawika503 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never seen anything in print.
    And you're right, prices have gone up quite a bit since 1995.
    I remember when I started hunting for vintage razors about five years ago. They were more plentiful than they are now, many in the $5-$10 range. Now, there are many times I can't even find a razor. And if I do, prices are $25 or more, and that's for a grimy razor WITHOUT a case!

Kawika503 likes this.
  4. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Thanks Shaver X. I have been using good 'ol Google extensively for these types of situations. The mr-razor.com site is a great reference for pictures and names and era's...however, I'll need to brush up on my (and by that I mean learn) German :signs002:

Maybe the good people at TSD should put one together and sell it as an exclusive item in the Shop :) Just sayin'...

5. swarden43

And as you are one of those good people at TSD, let us know when you get it completed. ;)

nascarfandan, srpavko and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. swarden43

Actually Bill, aka Dridecker, did put together this price guide, come to think of it.

Kawika503 likes this.
  7. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

BAZINGA!

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The price tends to fluctuate too much for any sort of guide to be useful. As a general rule of thumb, prices and availability tend to go up around Christmas time (people selling razors for Christmas money, and people buying razors as presents). Scarcity has an impact, as does a razor's popularity in the shaving forums.

9. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I'm not interested in the value of the razors for resale, instead I'm interested as a buyer. There are so many razors, that trying to keep track of them mentally is almost impossible...for me at least. I don't want to overpay, but at the same time, I want to be able to spot a good deal should I come across one.

Comes with the territory I guess...

10. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

You are hoping for something that does not exist and because of the random prices that razors get sold for on ebay...will never be able to have a price list that any one person would agree on. In order to "set" prices one must be in a position to do so.

I try not to ever pay over 10 bucks for a razor, if I do it';s because I really want it and the market dictates that it can't be found cheaper elsewhere. You'll just have to do like the rest of us and play the game! :)

Kawika503 likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If it's Gillette and has butterfly style blade doors and 98% of it's plating, and the price is $5 or less, you can't go wrong. :)

Kawika503 likes this.
  12. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Got it!

13. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I totally understand...it's just one of those things. I need to learn to listen to my gut! Thanks.

14. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Yep, that's it. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it. You'll start to see what things are worth, and more importantly you'll understand when not only is it ok, but necessary to over pay. Some of these razors don't come around very often.

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just started collecting by hunting on ebay and researching the internet in order to get familiar with prices. It takes time of course,but I feel thats the best way to get a handle on razor prices....The price of vintage razors is always in flux and so overpaying and/or underpaying for a particular razor is always a possibility. Timing also plays a part, sometimes simply being at the right place at the right time pays off....And as srpavko said any razor is worth what a person is willing to pay for it and if it helps generally razor prices go up over the long term.. So even if you overpay, if you hold it long enough, you'll at least make your money back.....:)

Kawika503 likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

http://translate.google.com/, which also works great for the foreign language wetshaving forums (Gut-rasiert, Foro Afeitado, Rasage Tradtionnel, etc.)

The problem with a razor pricing guide is that it must be accepted by a substantial percentage of people selling razors. If it is not, then the prices therein become meaningless. Getting all these folks on the same page seems unlikely. Antique dealers are moving widgets for whatever they can get quickly. That is typically far less than the value estimated by forum goers. The numerous garage and estate sales selling razors just want to get rid of it quick for whatever they can get. That is often only a few dollars, regardless of whether it is a Gillette Toggle or Superspeed. To most folks in this world, they are worth about the same - a few dollars. That pretty much sets the de facto price. On eBay, razors often go for many times what a typical forum goer can afford or would pay even if they had the money. eBay auctions where razors sell for several hundred dollars are often more about control than value - two outta control control freaks trying to prove who has the biggest e-pen0r. That makes these hyper-inflated prices little more than spikes in many cases.

The underlying issue is that razors, even those that forum goers consider rare, were built to last and made by the boatload. "Rare" is only relative with respect to most mass produced razors. If a book sets a price of a given razor at $100, that price won't stick if garage sales sell it for $5 and antique stores sell it for $25. I have seen the Gillette bottom-dial adjustable razors in antique stores for $20 and $25. Is that their "standard" price? It certainly was that day and in that store.