Safety Razors: My Trip from Mild to Aggressive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Oct 5, 2013.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Slants can be a bit aggressive or not. The open combs I've tried aren't aggressive. The original Tradere OC was most aggressive to the point of being painful and just plain difficult to find a useable angle.

Phil at bullgoose.net has a prototype model for a modern stainless steel injector that holds blades like the Cobra and another one that will use the regular injector blades.

2. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Ok, I have a question for anyone who knows more than me (probably everybody here)
    Brands , technique, and blades all being equal, that is- same proficient shaver, same sharp blades, same preshave shave soap- that is EVERYTHING EQUAL. Is an aggresive razor a closer shaver than a milder one?
    That is a commonly known mild razor (whichever one) versus a widely known aggresive one?
    Not same shave fewer strokes. After both razors have done the best they can do (regardless of number of passes) and have achieved the closest shave they are capable of, is an aggresive razor a CLOSER shave than a mild one?

3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

This is tangential, but seems appropriate to the thread:

I know there are several "aggressive" OC and Slant razors; is there a Closed-Comb, non-adjustable razor generally considered "aggressive?"

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

By my own definition, an aggressive razor earns it's name by two criteria:
    • how close does it shave on a single pass? All decent razors can eventually get you silky smooth, but a more aggressive razor does it more quickly and efficiently.
    • Is there much margin for error? I can pretty much race through a shave with a mild Gillette, but if I tried the same speedy technique with my Mühle, I'd probably pay for it and be looking for my styptic pencil pronto! More aggressive razors tend to demand better technique (i.e. pay attention!) from the user and are more likely to irritate, nick or produce weepers. The Straights are the epitome of an aggressive shave, and any DE razor that requires a comparable level of attention to detail makes the label, "aggressive" an appropriate one.

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

A very interesting statement as well as being very informative, however, is there simply not a "yes or no" answer?
    All things in the universe being equal, is an aggresive razor a CLOSER shave than a mild razor?
    Perhaps I'm asking for an answer that does not exist, but if you had to say yes or no?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sorry, I thought my answer of 'YES!' was implied in my initial point of my last post—a more aggressive razor shaves more quickly and efficiently—the implication being closeness is achieved faster ( a single pass) than a milder razor. Since wet-shaving is all about hair-reduction, not just hair removal, an aggressive razor provides greater reduction (closer shave) of the hair than a mild razor.

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I know that was a tricky question as the awnser probably varies shaver to shaver. thanks for the insight. I knew more agressive took it off quicker , I just didnt know if it was closer as well.
    Thanks

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    By my own definition, an aggressive razor earns it's name by two criteria: Razorburn and bloodletting. ;)

HolyRollah and swarden43 like this.
  9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

The point behind my question:
    I have 2 spots in the hollow of my neck that when rubbed ATG are still stubbly. I dont mind my usual 4 or 5 pass routine, in fact I enjoy the ritual, however those 2 places annoy me. All my razors have the same effect but all of them are CC . I do a WTG , ATG, XTG then 2 spot check ups and in the end those 2 spots remain.
    I have stretched the skin in every direction possible to no avail. I was wondering if an aggressive razor would shave closer than a mild one so as to eliminate my 2 problem areas.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It might, it might not.
    BBS is not something that many folks can achieve with every shave. You may be one who can't. No disrespect, just sayin'.
    Most of us settle for a shave that is comfortable and free of irritation.
    If BBS happens, it happens. Burn and irritation await those who "chase the baby."
    Again, that said, it might. Never know 'til ya try.

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I am extremely lucky in the fact that I have yet to suffer razor burn. I have often , after rinsing off my tools , found stubble while putting on aftershave and dove right in ATG on my neck using only water. I fell sorry for the guys who have to stop after 2 or 3 passes as IMHO multiple passes allows more play time.
    Anyway, as long as I can make passes until I run out of hot water or time, why not achieve BBS on my neck?
    Problem is, I'm running out of new didections and technics to try. I'm realy getting discouraged. Also 2 hours after I shave I have a stubble that could sand a bookcase so the neck areas are truly noticeable. I you couldnt see them I wouldnt care.

12. swarden43

Sounds like a Gem MMOC might be in order.

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

However Swarden, I appreciate the insight, My cheeks allways get BBS on pass 2 and are only shadowy after a couple of hours but my neck looks like a teen ager trying to grow patches on his neck by noon.
    The hair in my beard is crazy thick and my wife is always telling me "you missed your neck"
    Anyway, thats why I was asking about an aggressive (closer) shaving razor. I love my razors but if an open comb or slant was a closer shaver I would use it on my neck.

14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Nice, fill me in brother, Gem?

15. swarden43

Gem is the brand name, MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC) is the model.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

CB, a slant will give you a closer shave than the razor you are probably currently using.
    Try a Merkur 37c. Relatively small investment and an easy sale if you for some reason you decide its not for you.

17. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thanks, I'm hitting Amazon now.

18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

probably not the appropriate thread but fits with current posts.
    Just shaved and was reduced to trying the only thing left, pressure.
    1st. pass against the grain with mild pressure.
    2nd. pass more pressure ATG
    3rd. pass heavy pressure ATG.
    I truly expected to bleed like a stuck pig, but not a scratch. A heavy doucheing of Aqua Velva confirmed no cuts, scrapes and 30 minutes later, no weepers or irritation.
    Now, not sure if this is a testimate to my tecnique, the EJ 89 or a combination of both , I REALY laid on it last pass, so hard the razor stretched my skin.
    Guys, I DO NOT recomend this to everyone but it worked for me. My entire top half is , for the first time in my life, BBS.

19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Still wanting a closer shave without having to lean on my razor so I will be getting a Mercur 37c, thanks for the tip Holyrollah.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You're welcome!
    One Note on the Slant: There is no need to lean on this razor to get close. A light touch is all that is normally needed. You needn't alter your standard shave routine or technique using it, but I have had the best Slant success with a sharp blade and little pressure. And I've never been bitten! ;)

[​IMG]

Tdmsu, Cool Breeze and PLANofMAN like this.