Safety Razors: My Trip from Mild to Aggressive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Oct 5, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Care to borrow my 2013 R41 for a try?
    Contact me via PM if you're interested.

Aimless1 likes this.
  2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have the Progress, Futur, Fatip and R41. My advice would be to buy the Fatip and either the Futur or Progress. It's a toss up between those 2 adjustables, but I would probably go with the Futur. The Fatip is a great intro to OC razors. She barks, but she don't bite.

Metro and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have been using str8 razors for many years and have a wide collection, most of which came from my father, 1 of which originally belonged to his father. The issue with my str8's is although I enjoy using them I absolutely hate to sharpen and strop them. Not that its hard for me, just way too time consuming. Also, to me they are quite plain.
    As far as closeness goes, I have several DE's that do the job as well, if not better. Not by any means knocking them, they just arent for me. Too much work for the pay off, not enough WOW factor.
    I do however love an agressive DE and SE.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

That's why I haven't taken up str8s.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

With straight razors, at least in limited experience in using them, the investment of one's time is required in the maintenance and prep, but also in the actual shave. There doesn't appear to exist many 'short cuts' when SR shaving. If I'm running late in the morning and need a quick shave, the DE, for me, is the only way to go.
    I do enjoy the SR process—the ritual of stropping, careful execution of a good 2 or 3 pass shave, and the care of the blade. But I agree that they do require more work from the user.

6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Honestly, It takes me no longer to str8 than run a de or se, I have been using one for years. Its the care and upkeep that takes so long. Im not as good with a shavette, Its nothing like a str8 to me. When I get bored, Ill break out 3 or 4 of my str8s and hone and strop them, then use them till theyre all dull again, wipe them down and back in the drawer they go till I get bored again. To me, pain in the butt. I have more enjoyment out of my de & se's

7. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I like a two pass shave personally, maybe 2 & a touch-up if I'm sloppy. :happy088:
    And I've yet to catch this "acquisition disorder" I've read about. :rolleyes005:
    I think I'm more of "find what works and stick with it" sort of fellow. :D

8. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Here we go guys, I just ordered the 2013 R41 in Rose Gold. Can't wait to give it a try!

Cool Breeze and HolyRollah like this.
  9. CyanideMetal

Alright, Hamilton!

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"You ordered a WHAT??!!!!"
    [​IMG]
    :D:D:D

PatrickA51 and Metro like this.
  11. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I'm really trying to hold back on purchasing a Merkur 39c slant. However the shaves I'm getting with my single-edge razors (ER 1912, Damaskeene, Gbar) and Ted Pella Gem blades are pretty satisfying and close.

Cool Breeze and HolyRollah like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A sweet razor that I now regret selling....
    [​IMG]

BudWhite likes this.
  13. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

It really is a beaut.

14. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I love my 39C. Gives a great shave! I might eventually try to sell my DE89 Barley Handle now that I started getting better shaves with more aggressive razors, but I'd sure miss the quality of my EJ!

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Amen, I have several more aggressive but aside from my various superspeeds, my EJ is about the mildest one I own. Wont part with it however, love my EJ89 smooth chrome.

Metro likes this.
  16. CyanideMetal

RazoRock Slant....

[​IMG]

Cool Breeze and 178-bplatoon like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It looks to be a missing appendage from Bender Futrama...:D
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51 and CyanideMetal like this.
  18. CyanideMetal

THAT'S what it reminds me of...Ha!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I think that due to the problems I have with my hands going numb @ the most inopportune moments I can not use one and would not feel safe, have the same feeling about using a straight razor.
    Great review Kevin, enjoyed reading it.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Pat. As you found out by reading this thread, my journey did indeed lead me to the world of straight razors, which I now use 75% of the time. You'll also notice my timidity about even trying a straight versus the ol' reliable DE razor.
    Speaking of numbness of the hand, I have been troubled with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) in my dominant hand for over six months now. The symptoms are numb and tingling fingers (thumb, index & middle fingers), plus aching pain in the wrist and forearm. Despite this inconvenience, I began using a straight razor during this time. 'Slow and steady wins the race', and this saying certainly was apropos to my introduction to SRs. I am glad I did take this big step as it opened a whole new world of the shaving experience to me. It does, however, take an investment of both your time and patience.

PatrickA51 likes this.