Sandalwood; Given the choice?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by dmyers, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dmyers

dmyers Member

Which cream really sticks in your mind. Please no AOS, out of my price range. I can go T&H price point as the highest I would be willing to pay for shaving cream. So anything at the price point of T&H and below have at it....

Never have tried a Sandlewood scented cream. I have heard people rave about it.

Thanks...

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

C&E has a sandlewood soap that smells really nice. $18 in the bowl.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I personally am not a fan of sandalwood.

I have a C&E sandalwood soap that I do not use much because I do not care for the scent. I know you are specifying creams, but if you want what is left of this puck, you can have it. I paid $8.00 for the refill puck and I grated it into a cup so it looks funky, but it works fine. I like the lather from C&E, just not this scent of Sandalwood, or Nomad for that matter, but I do like the Sienna a whole bunch.

C&E may make Sandalwood in a cream, but I am unsure of the price.

4. Griz

Griz Member

I have tried several varieties of Sandalwood and I like the Crabtree and Evelyn and it is good soap, I am not sure if they make it in a cream.

I have to say though for pure scent alone the AOS is my very favorite and is a little different from any other. The cream is first rate as well in my opinion.

Will N.

5. herzi

herzi Active Member

Trumpers should be similar to C&E which I love. But CE could be harder to find.

I didn't like Taylors (to sweet) and Vulfix (to heavy)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm not much of a cream user, but if JoAnna's TSD Sandalwood cream smells the same as the soap (and I'm sure it does), I like it.

7. Hiya,

Check the price of the AOS cream compared to T&H. I've used a bunch of sandalwood scented soaps/creams, and the AOS has the truest single note fragrance.

Martin

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Based on the local Nordstrom's pricing from right before they dropped T&H from the local store: T&H = $30, AOS = $22. I think all Nordstrom's still carry AOS, the one at the closest mall to me carries it. I tend to find sandalwood a "safe" scent that is never bad but never outstanding to me. AOS is one of the better sandalwoods IMHO, but everyone has a unique nose.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

They're indeed nearly identical scent wise, in AZ its not hard to find the C&E creams at all ;)

10. chadstar

chadstar Member

I have a puck of EJ Sandalwood soap and i like it,it gives a good lather and smells great. Can't compare it to any other Sandalwood soaps as i have not tried any. EJ Sandalwood is not too expensive i think i paid £7.00 for it and it came in a travel tub.

11. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

You're finding AOS more expensive than T&H? That's news.

Unless you're talking about bare pucks..

12. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Ive been using AOS sandlewood for about 2 months. I little dab goes along way. I would say that its a pretty high mileage product. I would also look at the TSD product. If it smells as good as the rest of what I have ordered so far, Its gonna be awesome.

13. Hiya,

The AOS SC has always been priced almost 30% less than T&H and it's a very good performer. It's interesting how the cream is often perceived as overpriced, maybe because the puck costs a good bit.

Now if you wanna talk best bang for the buck, that would be TOBS. I believe a tub runs around $16 or so, and that stuff works really well.

Martin

14. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

How about Cyril R Salter? They make a sandlewood. Most E-stores are getting about $15-$16 dollars. I have not gotten around yet to their sandlewood but I can say their other creams are great performers. I've not been disappointed with Cyril Salter.

15. dmyers

dmyers Member

I suppose I should have done my research. I had the understanding that AOS had been priced out of my reach but it appears that it is around the same price or thereabouts as Trumpers.

16. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I will add my two cents worth and recommend Classic Shaving Sandalwood Shave Soap. It comes in 2.5" & 3" pucks for $5. - $6. respectively. These are great lathering and the scent is very heavy. I see you favor shave creams but these pucks produce a comparably dense creamy lather and are much more economical in the long run. I have used their Shave Soaps for a long time and have been very satisfied with them. ;)

17. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Sandalwood or Sandlewood?

The Battle Begins...

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I did a Google for SANDLEWOOD. It asked me if I meant SANDALWOOD.

Even my auto-spellchecker puts the squiggly line under SANDLEWOOD indicating the spelling is incorrect (or at least suspect).

I'll take the SANDALWOOD, please.

19. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Good man.

20. gaelic841

gaelic841 Member

Green Pond is a great Cream---made by D.R.Harris around $20.00 for a tub.
    www.greenpond.com