Sanitizing synthetic brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by falconhal, May 3, 2020.

1. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

Is soaking a synthetic brush in barbicide ok? Didn't know if the chemical will harm the bristles.

2. alesmv

alesmv Member

In the 1950s, Spanish professional barbers disinfected brushes by immersing them in bleach water, reduced to 10%. There are models that are still sold, from DANIDOM, that the knot separated from the handle (boxwood) and that were designed specifically for professionals. If the smell of hypochlorite is not pleasant, it can then be immersed in water to rinse it off.

Danidom brushes are extremely cheap and professional (only whole bristles), less than 10 euros

[​IMG]

More information about Danidom, in : https://refineriadecaballeros.wordpress.com/category/afeitado-marcas-brands/danidom/

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Jim99, falconhal and brit like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Not sure if the chemicals would damage the fibers or not.
    They don’t absorb water and soaps and creams keep them clean so there’s not much else to do.

Unless you dropped it in the toilet... In that case I’d use some anti bacterial hand soap or maybe dish soap.

falconhal likes this.
  4. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

This is the advice I'm seeing on YouTube also. Think I'll be safe and just use a little Dawn dish soap. Thank you.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It won't harm the bristles. It's overkill, but it won't harm the bristles.

falconhal likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You could also soak it in a Borax solution.