scales for a master

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by John, Nov 11, 2010.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

That is simply incredible. Stunning work.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:sihns011 No kidding, I said the same thing in my mind before I even read your post.

Incredible.

3. John

John Member

Here's a look at the first scales almost finished.

I've still got to do some engraving on it to finish out the detail work, but the cutting is all finished on this half....WooHoo!!

Attached Files:

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

That is simply brilliant....wow...I don't know what else to say

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Way Gnarly Dude!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

(simply at a loss for words worthy)

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I hope whoever these are for realizes what a true work of art and craftsmanship these are.

8. John

John Member

He does :D
    The interesting thing about doing projects like this one for another brother, is that while yes it's intricate and takes quite a bit of time, it also gives me time to think about the meanings behind the symbology as I set them in the metal.
    I'm sure that will make sense to those of you who are Masons. ;)
    ...and, yes, I don't want to see, let alone cut any stupid acasia bushes for quite a while after this project is finished...:cool:

9. Reformation Student

Can't blame you there. You'll have to do a mistletoe and holly bush theme next for Christmas. Imagine all those little berries :happy102

10. John

John Member

What? You mean something like this??

Attached Files:

11. John

John Member

Ok, *NOW* this side is done...:D
    I got all of the engraving finished on the different elements, and started cutting on the other scale this afternoon.:happy108

enjoy ya'll

Attached Files:

12. chadstar

chadstar Member

An absolutely true work of art :signs021 Amazing :happy096

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

WOW! That is an amazing example of craftsmanship and artistry. Thank you for sharing a peek at a treasure in the making.

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Incredible work, especially all by hand.

15. Reformation Student

Somehow, I should have known :D

16. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I gotta say the very small details are just amazing to me. It is incredible you would take the time to work in those special touches. WOW.

17. John

John Member

Here is the second scale. As ya'll can see, I'm about half way through cutting on it.

enjoy!

Attached Files:

18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

John - with all that fine detail work...will this piece be laid upon or inlaid into another material? Those bushes look so delicate and fine that they would break if touched directly...

19. John

John Member

They are going to be full open scales.
    I'm using 16 gauge nickle which is fairly tough stuff. The key to doing metalwork like this is that there are *a lot* of touch points. Think of it as metal lacework. I've dropped these stupid scales off my bench, I don't know how many times and they handle it just fine. I even had the first scale taken out of my hands by the buffing wheel and it didn't even blink an eye. (pun intended ;) )
    These scales will be more than strong enough to take any of the standard stress that they will encounter during wet shaving. Anything that would damage these scales will more than likely trash the razor as well.
    That's the truly fun thing about playing with metal. As long as you know the rules of using the material, you can get some truly amazing results. You definately couldn't do this kind of thing with wood or horn, and probably have iffy results if you did it in acrylics or plastics. Although I'd love to see someone try it, to see if they could. That would be too cool!

ok, enough rambling...:rolleyes:

20. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

To say your work is incredible is an insult. It's multitudes more. Magnificent work, sir!