scales for a master

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by John, Nov 11, 2010.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Suh-weet! Truly imaginative!

2. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

You sir, are an artisan. I stand I awe of anyone who can do something like that.

3. John

John Member

Here's an update pic for all of ya'll.

As you can imagine, the holiday work has been piling up and it's been a bit hard to get quality time to work on this project.

Now, I know that it doesn't seem like I've done much from the last update, however, the time difference between the two is somewhere around 8 - 10 hours of cutwork.

When I first started this project, I wanted to do something for Joe that was just flat cool, and it's turned into a bit over the top even for me. :scared011

However, we are in the home strech, and the end is getting closer with every blade that I break. lol

Attached Files:

4. John

John Member

Hey all,
    I finally got the second scale cut! :happy108
    The detail marks that you see on the scales were chased in with a chisel and hammer, and provide base marks for the engraving that will happen tomorrow.
    For those of you who are keeping track, we are somewhere between 40-45 bench hours on this project. :shocked031

enjoy

Attached Files:

5. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Having owned a few sets of what many considered to be masterful sets of scale, I am in awe of these. John, you are amazing.

6. John

John Member

Second side finished engraved today. I've trued up the two scales to each other, and drilled my holes. Tomorrow will be assembly.

Attached Files:

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Said it before, say it again: Fandamtastic!

8. John

John Member

Finished!!!!

Well, after two months and somewhere between 55-60 bench hours, this project is finally finished!! :D

Thanks to all of ya'll for being so patient with this long thread.
    Now on to the specifics.

16 gauge polished nickle, pierced and engraved
    blue acrylic wedge
    nickle pins and handcut washers

enjoy!!

Attached Files:

9. stingraysrock

Fantabulous!

Now... when will there be a shave report? Or is it destined to be a museum piece?

Either way; thanks for the ride Brother!

10. John

John Member

*sigh* This was a custom job for a brother in New York, so it'll be packed up and sent on it's way.

Thanks ;)

11. stingraysrock

Yeah I figured that... so... let's go ahead with the recruitment into TSD so we can get a shave report!

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Super nice piece of work! Can't believe all the hand work that went into this.

13. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Both my grand father and great grand father were active masons. I however am not. I know all the symbols but the one on the far left of pic three. Looks like a pyramid somewhat.

Regardless I am impressed and amazed with even just the blade. I did not see that coming. Was that laser?

IAN

14. John

John Member

Thanks!
    The blade is an origional Wade&Butcher pre 1890. The Masonic symbols are origional to the blade. They were probably acid etched into the blade after it was heat treated.

15. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I am sorry. I think I confused you. I was just saying how impressive the blade looks. However, The symbol was curious about was the pyramid symbol on the scales.

16. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

If I'm correct. That pyramid symbol has something to do with the Scottish Rite of Masonry. It looks very similar to what's referred to as the Lodge of Perfection within Scottish Rite. A bit more stylized but that may be what this owner's local Rite uses.

17. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I'm simply stunned at the artistry and detail in these scales. They are a perfect compliment to the blade. Thanks so much for sharing your progress and finished work with us. It's magnificent!!!

18. puffulufogous

puffulufogous New Member

Man that looks absolutely amazing. How many hours did the whole job take? Hats off to you my friend.