Scent Testers Needed - Beer

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Queen of Blades, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

So it's sweet, but not hoppy. It's not a familiar scent to someone who isn't into "fancy" beers. My first guess would be a brown ale, but any amber or dark ale that's on the sweet side is a good possibility. While I like a more balance taste (or even a little biter) in the beer I drink, the sweeter beers do have a good scent. Unless it smells like a wheat field, I'd like to be considered (I'm not a fan of wheat ales). Great, now that I thought of wheat ale I'm thinking that's a distinct possibility. Does it have a sweet and strong grainy scent?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I can't say anything either way. It just doesn't smell like beer to me, someone who doesn't drink or like beer.

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

yeah, I'm not that good.....

I enjoy a variety of different beer, but don't know the first thing about them.... I like the whole gamut, from Heineken to Corona, Sol (my go to), Pacifico, Guinness, Smithwick's (my second go to), Xingu (Brazilian Black Beer).... I try to stay away from the Coors, Buds, and Millers, though.... certain Octoberfest and winter brews I like, Sam Adams....

But I couldn't tell you if they're lagers, ales, pilsners, what types of hops and ingredients, etc.....

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

OK, I'll quite asking questions. I'll offer my services (which would likely include input from a couple home brewing co-workers). Worst case is it smells like a 2-day old Budweiser spill:sick007 and I have to tell that to you. Possible it's a sweet Stout or black ale and you won't be able to beat us beer snobs off with a stick :D
    I think you have my address from my last order. If not and you'd like me to give an opinion let me know and I'll PM it to you.

5. Moe

Moe Active Member

I'll agree, that Mich's special line of beers ar emuch better than the standard America Lagers, but I still try to saty away from them ans support the smaller craft brewers; their beer is more flavorful.

6. Moe

Moe Active Member

Your favorites?

Let see what the beer drinkers like? We can brake it down into geographical regions,,,,,,, because it's too hard to have just one favorite, and I don't. There are some GREAT regional beers in the US, but unfortunately many ar enot mas-distributed, so try to keep it at a beer that is distribute across a country.

Americas (North, Central, & South): Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Europe (Eastern & Western): Guinness follwed close by Pilsner Uerqulle (SP/), This is tough to not include any Belgiums.
    Asia & Mid East: Taj, folled by King Fisher

-Moe

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Americas (North, Central, & South): Fuller Amber Ale. Many smaller/regional brews are better, but not distributed across the country.
    Europe (Eastern & Western): Murphy's Stout, but many others are very close. Guinness is good but overrated.
    Asia & Mid East: Honestly, I've not tried anything top notch for Asia or the Mid East.

8. Moe

Moe Active Member

I think my main attraching to Guinness is that it is nearly impossible to cloan, even by a master brewer at the finest brew pubs. I thas a certain sour tang to it, that seems un-reproducable. There are many theories (adding old stale beer, adding certain bacteria, etc.), but of course mums the word from Guinness on how they achieve this.

I have thought of an exoirsize for those that are interested. Many times i talk to people that say a beer is too bitter, but in my mind it is not, it is malty. I think this is because many do not know what it is they are tasting, Malt, or hops. A good comparison is to go buy a couple of beers. One is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and the other is Fat Tire. Both beers are probably contructed fairly similarly with a majority base of a very light colored barley, then some barley that has been roasted longer (with a redish or brownish color is added) This darker malt adds color and flavor. The Sierra Navad beer however (imo) has a muich more disticnt hop arroma, flavor, and bitterness. The Fat Tire has a more malty aroma and malty sweetnes to the flavor.

-Moe

9. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yer such a scent tease ;) :D

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Why not take the hop flavor way up and get an IPA instead of Sierra Nevada? Other than taste of course ;).
    For a good malt flavor, New Belgium makes a 1554 Black Ale that highlights sweet roasted malt flavors better than their Fat Tire which is a good slightly sweet Amber Ale. In fact, 1554 is the sweetest beer that I'll buy on a regular basis. You could also go with a really sweet Stout, but most people prefer a more balanced stout so I think the black ale is the best to highlight great malts.

11. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

Favorite beers by region:

Americas: Pabst Blue Ribbon
    Europe: Pabst Blue Ribbon
    The East: Pabst Blue Ribbon

You may think that I have an unrefined palette or indiscriminate taste, but you would be wrong. PBR really is that good. ;)

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All the years I just thought that I smelled like a drunk on Sunday morning..I was just testing out a new A/S.....Who knew?

13. Hiya,

Man, this thread keeps getting funnier by the post. Have I got this right..........an after shave that smells like a beer? Seriously? Not only that, but the fragrance is even being broken down into various STYLE of beer.

I started drinking beer over 50 years ago, when I was 5-6 years old. My dad would give me a sip from his can of Hamm's, although rarely, since he seldom drank alcohol. For some reason, I kinda liked the taste even at that age, and later grew to appreciate beer as an amazing beverage. I've got 4-5 favorites I've settled on over the years which include pilsener to stout. Yeah, I like a bunch of different types.

To me, the smell of beer has always been the least of the pleasure it gives me. Sure, there's gonna be some differences when you crack open a bottle, but even the best smelling ones are still just no big deal to me. Truth be told, even a beer I like can sometimes smell a bit funky. I rarely dwell on the scent of my beer, but instead on just the flavor and mouth feel.

Heh, often when I think of how beer smells, it's usually in it's proper context. Yep, that means it's a sorta blend, with beer being the main note. However, there's also gonna be a bit of sawdust and small amount of pee fragrance to help temper it. Yes, I often think of beer as a melange of scents......heh. Seriously, now that's a fragrance many of us can probably identify with. How about cookin up a batch of that, Boss? Maybe call it 'Dive Bar' or something equally descriptive. Oh, you could add a tiny bit of vomit EO to Jay's version......don't wanna forget him.

Thanks to y'all for a good read,
    Martin

14. Will

Will Nevermind

As the forum drunk (besides Rick) I should be included in this study.

15. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

They use some of the left over mash from the previous bath to add to the new batch. They have been doing this since the beginning and that's why none are able to clone something that has been growing for over a hundred years.

16. Moe

Moe Active Member

Yes, that's one of the many I have heard stated, debated. I've given up trying to make a Guinnes clone, and if a brew pub tells me their stout is just like Guinness, I usually ask for a sample,,,,,, then usually end up ordering something else. I have yet to get to St. James Gate, but hope to some day. A work friend of mine is from Belfast, now lives near London. He says the Guinness, even as close as London is not quite like it is at the source,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I must get there! In Captain Kirk paused sentance: Spock,,,,, I,,,,,,,, MUST,,,, GET,, THERE.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Americas (North, Central, & South): Xingu Black Beer
    Europe (Eastern & Western): Smithwick's
    Asia & Mid East: Sapporo or Kirin

As noted above, I have very limtited experience as far as tastings go. Some things to note, what's my favorite vs. what do I drink the most of are two totally different discussions....

One thing I can tell you is that I do not like, or have not found one I like (and I really don't try them any more...) the India Pale Ale.

Moe & ChemErik, thanks for the very informative posts....I've always wondered what makes certain flavors in different beer, and have also wanted to start home brewing. Just what I need, another hobby! :rolleyes:

Here's a list of beer I'd like to try, from superbleu (one of his shopping expeditions):
    • Kilt Lifter
    • Railbenders Ale
    • Kostrizer black beer
    • Alaskan barley wine
    • Achel Bruin
    • Orval Trappist ale
    • Westmalle Dubbel
    • Ninkasi oatis stout
    • Alaskan smoked porter
    • Old engine oil black ale

18. Moe

Moe Active Member

19. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

A man after my own heart. You even seen the movie Blue Velvet? There's an awesome quote about PBR from that movie. Unfortunately, I can't get PBR where I am. :mad:

20. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I posted a link to that scene on youtube last night, but it got taken down. Dennis Hopper was upset by this greatly, and vowed to never order anymore TSD products. :happy102