Schick Adjustable Injector Question...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoahG, May 13, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

So I just got two adjustable Schicks off of the bay and there is a minor difference that I was hoping someone could clear up. One of the razors there is, for lack of a better word, a switch or toggle that seems to tighten up the blade just under the head on the bottom. It is not present on the second. Can anyone tell me what this is for and how to use it? Thanks Brothers and Sisters of the Blade!

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Is this a sort of slide switch that slides along the handle toward and away from the blade? If so, I believe I've heard of this, although it's not on my adjustable, or on the second one that I used to have. If I recall correctly, it's just to lock the head in place for storage, and you would release it to use the razor. It's quite possible that I'm not recalling correctly, though. Someone else may know better. Anyway, I think it is not seen on most of the Schick adjustables.

3. NoahG

NoahG Member

Yeah, thats it. The one w/o it seems to be in better shape anyway. got 'em soaking in scrubb bubbs right now... theys nasty on the inside.

4. haiti222

haiti222 Member

From someone quoting the package:

This razor model is referred to as the "Protector" - it has a push-button underneath that locks the blade to prevent surface damage such as scratching and of course, protects fingers from accidental cuts - also a great feature for travelling @@@

5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yup!! Slivovitz and Haiti's right on the money...I never had one, but have seen them...when you flip the switch the guard bar moves over the blade's edge...Great idea, don't know why they dropped that feature. It is called the Protector and was dropped very early in the Adjustable's development...The Schick adjustables don't change the blade angle like the Gillettes do because of the thick blades, rather the guard bar moves up and down to open the gap...

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

If my memory serves, Haiti is correct. Had both, many years ago, and had one without the locking feature until I dropped and stepped on it about 6 months ago. Years back, the locking feature was just a pain to me. Currently, I'm thinking it would be great for traveling. I may have to look into getting one. Are they pretty scarce?

Alan

7. napoleon

napoleon Member

They could also be used to load the blade /clean the razor from the inside. But I guess you'd figure that out.
    A pic would help.

8. Bird Lives

Yo Noah...let us know if when the switch is up on the "Protector" just how well is the blade protected for traveling...or do you still need a box for the razor....My man Alan is thinking of getting one for traveling, so your "on the site" "Protector" review would be most helpful....:)
    I remember, at the time I was thinking any great Injector in its box was travel worthy....But I never actually had one of those...Inquiring minds want to know...:)

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

The protector seems to work pretty well. With it up I can run my thumb against the edge and barely feel anything. I used the non Protector one this morning so let it be know that I even "sacrificed" a blade to bring you this report!

10. Bird Lives

OK, so it keeps you from cutting a finger, but if you were traveling...would you put a new blade in, flip the protector switch and throw it in your shaving bag, and feel that the blade was going to be protected and sharp when you want to use it???

11. NoahG

NoahG Member

Definitely not. I think that there would be too much chance of something catching in the blade if anything wss loose. Now, if you have a nice tidy kit like I've never been able to maintain, it seems that it would do th trick.

12. haiti222

haiti222 Member

Speaking of Schicks and finger cuts, I got the worst finger cut right before a flight. I had a Schick Super II and some of the NOS adjustible Super II blades (with a low medium and high setting, by pushbutton- both Super II and Trac II had this for a few years in the 70's).

I reach in to my bag where I had but the razor with one blade on it for my short trip. The two blades sliced my finger something good, and I had to use two band aids to make the flight.....