Schick F repair

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jun 24, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The deed is done. I bonded the comb with JB weld yesterday. This morning I cleaned the razor very slightly. I then massaged the main spring back into position and assembled.
    JB welded pre clean up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All done. Light buff only no sanding. I used 3-48 stainless Phillips machine screws.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is loaded with a fresh blade. It accepted it just fine. Seems nice and secure. It shaved arm and leg hair just fine.
    Being this was my first go at saving an F I did not want to go crazy on restoring it. I really just wanted to get it to shave shape. @jgreenepa i hope you like the results. It was an honor to get to do this for you. Thank you for letting me take this rare beauty apart. I now now people can save these. That is a great thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wowzers!

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It was great to try this. The razor means a lot to Jeff. I am glad I was able to get it ship shape or shave shape.

4. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:happy096:

jgreenepa, Karl G, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. richgem

I can only imagine what it means to both of you. Congratulations!

Karl G, jgreenepa and twhite like this.
  6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Tom, I’m incredibly grateful to you for this. I will finally be able to shave with this beautifully restored razor! It traveled through the Pacific theater in WW2 as part of a Marine Officer’s kit. I can’t wait to take it for a spin!

7. richgem

I was wondering what the backstory is.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nice save!

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am late to this thread. I am so glad it came out happily. Great job Tom.

Dave in KY, Karl G, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Nice to see a great rare razor given a second life, Great repair Tom!

11. brit

brit in a box

awesome job Tom..

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Fantastic work and a great save! @twhite , you performed a miracle, and @jgreenepa , you must be thrilled!

brit, Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  13. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

:happy096:

brit, Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:bounce017:

Billyfergie, twhite and brit like this.
  15. jgreenepa

E1838E7C-C23D-4A4E-B67B-E7886356978B.jpeg AE250DE1-A8DA-4206-8F31-28B87B80D085.jpeg I just received the razor today! I'm amazed at Tom's work! He took what was essentially a piece of junk and transformed it back into a working solid user razor. I'm going to take it for a spin tomorrow. It spent an hour in a jar of barbicide and is ready to go for tomorrow's shave which I'm dedicating to Tom. Thank you, thank you! The razor is not shiny NOS, but has character. There's something I never shared about this razor. According to my neighbor, this razor was in the mess kit that saved his father's life on Okinawa. He apparently was never able to use the razor afterwards, but did keep it for its sentimental value along with the old mess kit which my neighbor is holding on to. My father was in the same Pacific theater and was also a young marine officer in his early twenties who served from Iwo Jima through the surrender. So yes, this razor means a fair bit to me. My father passed in 2013 at age 99. I'll be thinking of both him and the extraordinary service Tom performed in restoring this razor's utility. Thank you. I like the razor's looks. It still has its character.

16. brit

brit in a box

hope the barbicide soak didn't hurt the J-B Weld.doubtful.looks awesome..

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  17. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

That's some wonderful history behind that razor. Tom did a great job bring it back to life.

Karl G, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I don’t think it will. JB is chemical resistant.

19. brit

brit in a box

myself as well.just being cautious..it works well with engine oils and antifreeze,unless either become acidic..:)

twhite likes this.
  20. jgreenepa

You know (@twhite, @brit, @Droo78), it briefly crossed my mind when I pulled it from the Barbicide. All seems to be well. Really looking forward to the shave tomorrow. Should I shave tonight? Naah! I'll wait!

twhite, Droo78 and brit like this.