Schick Krona DE timeline

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got one of those ones that some people call hybrid Eversharp / Schick razors. They have the Eversharp base plate with the eagle trademark and a Schick sticker on the handle. They also sometimes come with black handles and that combo. Case could be correct depending how it was branded. What is certain that the razor is a 1967. Even though the case is dated 1965 they may not have changed that number sequence on the later cases. They would have on the cardboard backing of the packages.

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Been awhile since I revisited this thread but I think I found reason for the change from the shorter TTO knobs to the longer ones. It might have to do with a locking mechanism patented here. It was submitted in 1965 but not approved until 1967. Patent also shows the longer TTO style knob which looks to be a requirement to house the locking mechanism described in the patent.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US3299508A/en?inventor=leopold+kuhnl&oq=leopold+kuhnl&page=6

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some interesting asides on 2 Schick DE razors that Eversharp worked on that never far as I know made it to market.

First is a dial adjustable DE razor.
    There were a couple of patents on this besides the one I am citing.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US3358368A/en?inventor=leopold+kuhnl&oq=leopold+kuhnl&page=3

The next is what is called a turret style adjustable.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US3491442A/en?inventor=leopold+kuhnl&oq=leopold+kuhnl&page=4

There is one modern razor that works similar to that turret design and it is the Feather DER-A adjustable.
    https://www.feather.co.jp/en/pdf/g_Products/ADJUSTABLE1908.pdf

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

At one point Schick must have seriously considered entering the double edge adjustables market.

This was a prototype that never got to market.

There are at least three patents on this razor, all filed in 1965, one granted in 1966/07 (US3293745), the second in 1967/02 (US3302284) and the third in 1968/01 (US3363313). The TTO/Adjuster knob is different to that of a normal Krona and they must have manufactured a mouldto produce the handle. Its obviously a Krona, but other than the Schick under the TTO knob, there are no manufacturers markings anywhere on the razor.

From what I read earlier in this thread, this logo was used around 1965-7, which would roughly tie in with the patent dates.

KronaAdjustable Logo.jpg

Stefano73, gorgo2, Aztecmike and 4 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There are 2 surefire ways to date this to either 68 or later or 65 - 68. First is the door lifter mechanism, the older Gillette style ones were used from 65 - 68. This one has the older Gillette style one. Second the doors themselves if they have no writing on them 65 - 68, if they say Schick, Krona or some combo of then it is a 68 and up. Even without seeing the doors I say this is a 65 - 68 timeframe for that prototype.

Clouds and brit like this.
  6. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I have a Schick Krona and love it. It says Krona on the door.

If I understand correctly, if the door doesn't say Krona, it may still be a Krona. The key is to see if it has the new lifter machanism. If so, it is a Krona.

eBay listings do not always show the tip of the knob so you can see the logo. They also do not always show the lifter mechanism. (Of course, you can always ask. Good luck!)

If the tip of the knob is metal
    ------------------------------------------
    If it says "+Schick+" on a short knob, it is not a Krona. .
    If it shows an eagle on the (long or short) knob, it is an Eversharp, and it is not a Krona.
    If it says "Schick" in a triangle on the (long or short) knob, it is not a Krona, unless it has the new lifter mecahnism.

Lifter mechanism
    ---------------------
    If it has the old mechanism, it is not a Krona.
    If it has the new mechanism, it is a Krona.

Doors
    -------
    If it says Krona, then it's a Krona!
    If it says nothing, it is not a Krona.
    If it says just Schick, it is a Krona if and only if it has the new lifter mechanism. (Note from @BBS : "Any markings far as I know are a Krona since nothing prior to 1968 had any markings on the doors."

Plastic knob
    --------------
    Always a Krona.

Short metal knob
    --------------------
    Not a Krona

Long metal knob
    --------------------
    May be a Krona, or not, depending on the other criteria.

The 3 Shave Variants, in order from most aggressive to least aggressive (though all would be considered fairly mild)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. It says "+Schick+" on the short metal (never plastic) knob, nothing on the doors, has the old lifter mechanism.
    2. It says "Schick" in a triangle on the (short or long) metal (never plastic) knob, nothing or just "Schick" on the doors, has the old lifter mechanism.
    Or, it has an Eagle on the (short or long) metal (never plastic) knob, nothing on the doors, has the old lifter mechanism.
    3. Long metal or plastic knob which says "Schick" in a triangle, has newer lifter machanism.

Did I summarize this correctly?

Also, since all the pics in the earlier posts don't show up, I'm not sure how to tell the old lifter mechanism from the new.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    DaltonGang likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Pretty much except for the following

Doors
    Any markings far as I know are a Krona since nothing prior to 1968 had any markings on the doors.

There are also official frankensharps out there with a mix of Eversharp and Schick parts, done when they stopped the Eversharp brand and had leftover parts.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  8. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Thanks -- I've updated my post.