Schick Repeating Razor Owners Club (SRROC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Redfisher, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol it wasn't intentional.. It was so hard to pull out. I think it had been jammed for awhile. The only thing I'm missing is the blade tray. I'm hoping if someone has a spare that they are willing to part with, that they will pm me.

Karl G likes this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Depending on whether or not that assembly will go back into the handle and stay there you may not need a magazine. Regardless they are prone to jamming with modern blades because modern blades are thinner than the old ones. So even if it will cycle it's best to just load it by hand.

Karl G and twhite like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Here is the whole thing apart except the head
    image.jpeg
    My razor comes apart very easily. I'm not sure if I'm missing something

Here is the empty barrel
    image.jpeg

Here is the order it should go in
    image.jpeg

See the indent?
    image.jpeg
    See the nipple? It rests in the indent. Nipple should be towards the outlet.
    image.jpeg

I found that it easier to insert it when assembled
    image.jpeg
    Opening towards opening image.jpeg

Now I believe this is a slide stop. But I don't see that mine has anything protruding.
    image.jpeg
    Same here. Nothing on the inside protruding
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Jorvaljr

I believe the slot was meant to be a guide and catch
    image.jpeg
    Slide assembly inserted
    image.jpeg

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a type B that came with the wrong internal parts. But, since modern blades usually Jan, I felt it didn't really matter.

Herm

Karl G and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Could we maybe get info on what modern blades will fit these razors and other basic stuff (copies of paperwork, manuals etc.) edited in to one of the posts on the 1st page?
    I want to order some blades, and it dawned on me that I don't remember which ones to look for... it's a lot of pages to re-read :rolleyes:

Karl G likes this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The Chinese Schick blades work great. Any modern injector blade works. You can even cut down a Feather AC blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfisher, Karl G, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bussemand

Are present day Schick brand injector blades made in China, or? Am I looking for a certain type of packaging?

Redfisher, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

They are made in China. They are the ones in yellow packages. Japan also makes modern injectors, they are pricy though.
    Here is a picture of the Chicks
    [​IMG]

Redfisher, Karl G, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  10. Bussemand

Thank you Tom!

Karl G, Robyflexx and twhite like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Such a beautiful PAL Tom! :love055:

Karl G and twhite like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks. That is the one on the pass around.

Karl G, shoe13950 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I used my new C3 today. First pass was great! Better than with my B1. But the second pass looked like I got hit by a porcupine. Over all a DFS, and definitely a potential good shaver. I did notice the blade is just a tad longer than the head at the guard ends.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hodge, Herm2502, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  14. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I was running for the Nivea with open arms today. I found the blade to be loose and able to be moved easily from side to side, causing the corners of the blade to be exposed.i was too far into the shave to turn back.... Is there a way to tighten the blade holder on the repeaters?
    [​IMG]

Redfisher, Karl G, Hodge and 3 others like this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Try to bend it tighter by pressing down firmly on a hard surface. Do this without a blade in it.

Karl G, Hodge, twhite and 2 others like this.
  16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Completed the trifecta today, picking up a really nice C3 at last.

17. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

A few thoughts on the Schick Repeating Razor patents

I have some Type C repeaters that (still) need a little bit (I hope) of maintenance.
    I'm currently a little bit obsessed with old razor patents, so I thought I'd have a look at the original patents to understand in detail how those razors work before taking them apart.
    This site claims that the following patents were used for Schick repeating razors:
    Type A: 1584811 and 1652685
    Type B: 1584811 and 1652685 (the same)
    Type C: 1452935 and 1797733
    I don't own all types of repeaters, neither do I have any packaging for them, so I'll believe that these patents were all claimed for the various models of repeating razors. All patents were assigned to Jacob Schick between 1923 and 1931.
    My obsession with patents goes so far that I made my own online versions of them (and others) that are a bit more readable and interactive than the original patents available as PDF files. Here they are:
    1452935 (1923)
    1584811 (1926)
    1652685 (1927)
    1797733 (1931)
    Those patents are most peculiar, as all but one don't even describe a repeating razor as we know it. The 1923 and 1926 patents (those claimed for Type A/B) describe razors where the stack of blades is not in the handle, but the head of the razor, the earlier patent allowing for a pack of unused blades to be stored in the handle. The 1927 patent describes a razor where the blades are ejected from the handle and then inserted into the head by hand. :eek:
    Only the 1931 patent, finally, describes a proper repeating razor. This patent, used for the Type C, seems to describe a Type B though, if I'm not mistaken (maybe someone can clarify).
    I found it quite interesting to see how the ideas of Jacob Schick developed over the years and the 1931 patent maybe useful to be looked at before disassembling a repeater razor.
    Enjoy.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Cool vid:

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Heres OV Rodrigue's patent drawings for your 'C' type.
    image.jpg
    These are for the C3 with the smooth guard bar....there are a few patent drawings a little earlier with the open comb guard bar also...
    image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Redfisher, Karl G, Mustache and 3 others like this.
  20. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks. I need to incorporate these into my online patent collection. Makes me wonder why they claimed patents that only remotely resembled the actual razors, but not those that matched them closely? Unless of course they did. Good thing they are by Octavio Victor Rodrigues. His patents are a nicer read than Colonel Schick's ramblings. Makes for an more interesting process of proof reading :D
    How the heck did I get obsessed by old patents all of a sudden? Any other patents I should add to my collection?

Redfisher and Karl G like this.