Schick Type O

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by Slivovitz, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Schick injector razors had a long run, from the type A Magazine Repeater, introduced in 1926, to the type O injector, produced from 1999 to 2003. The last injector may actually be the hardest to find; it was sold in stores in Japan, but in the United States, could only be bought by mail order from Schick.

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy one of the Japanese ones, still unopened in the original packaging with two of the injector twin blades. A sticker for a special promotion apparently puts this one in 1999, the first year of production.

The type O has a sleek, modern appearance, much like a modern cartridge razor. On second glance, however, it's a cut above the chrome and plastic tackiness of a Gillette Fusion, or for that matter, a Schick Hydro. The brushed metal and mostly black plastic are in quiet good taste, with a couple of small sections of a light blue plastic in the head. It's hardly a luxury item, but it is a well built razor which should last for decades, much as plain Jane type Js from the Fifties and Sixties are still going strong today. The textured plastic on the handle provides a firm grip, and this is one of the best balanced razors I've tried. At 43g, it's no heavyweight, but it has a just right feel to it, making it very easy to control.

This razor completed my goal of getting at least one of each "letter" series of Schick injector, and I was glad to get it for that reason alone. I'd kept my expectations low for the actual shave, though. It seems that the injectors got progressively milder over the years, and the next to last, the type N, was much too easygoing for my taste. I was in for a pleasant surprise here. Loading one of the included twin blades, I got a close shave, easily the equal of what I'd gotten with any other injector, or other razor, for that matter. Like all of the best injectors, this just takes the whiskers off without any fuss. Some people complain that injectors are "too easy". If you think that there is such a thing, then you'll probably think it about this one.

A word about those twin blades. This was a type of injector blade that Schick introduced in the Seventies, which is compatible with their later razors. The types L and later will take either these or the original single blades. The twins are rather like a cartridge without any plastic. There are two very thin injector blades held apart by a thin metal shim; the complete package is roughly the same thickness as a single injector blade. They have apparently been discontinued, but vintage ones are still widely available. In fact, Gillette made their own twin injector blades which will fit the same razors; they used the Trac II name, just like the cartridges.

As I worked my way through the life of the first twin blade (it ended up lasting for fifteen shaves), I couldn't help wondering if the great results I was getting were tied to that. Yes, of course you can get an excellent shave with a single blade, but can you get one with a single blade in this specific razor? The answer turned out to be a slightly hesitant yes. Putting in a Pella blade once the twin gave out, I was still getting DFS shaves, but it seemed to be taking some extra touchup and blade buffing to get there. This is naturally a rather mild razor, and it does seem to benefit from using the twin. Trying it again with the second twin blade, the shaves improved again, slightly, but noticeably. Of course, it's possible that with another type of single blade, such as some of the vintage Schicks or the Personna 74s which I still haven't tried, I'll also get better results, but it will take a while to try all the possibilities.

Schick's last injector was one of their best, but the handwriting was already on the wall when they came out. The general public had been persuaded that cartridges were best, and they were certainly more profitable for manufacturers. Most of the people who bought these final injectors while they were still on the market are probably still hanging on to them. That can be a problem if you want to buy one. I got mine for $50, which is actually quite a good price. I bought directly from another razor enthusiast, eBay prices for these can be over $100. If you just want to see what an injector is like, there are many cheaper options which will probably give you as good a shave in the end. A type O may be worth the price if you already have a thing for injectors, and are a bit extravagant. I'm happy with mine.

IMG_1781.JPG

wmbjr, Billyfergie and alpla444 like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Great review Sir...Very well written and attention to detail....:chores016:
    Billy

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

And conveniently enough there's one for sale right now.... ;)

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Billyfergie

You don't miss much my friend ...I saw it and its way over the top priced for me...;)
    Its a nice example though...:chores016:
    Billy

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I might had gone for it if it had had the injector-label intact on it :)

But...as luck might have it....I might be getting not one but two of them next week for a total cost of less than that one was selling for.
    And they are both NOS :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Billyfergie

One for Darkbulb & Billyfergie ....That's very thoughtful of you Sir....:eatdrink013:
    Billy....:chores016:

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've wanted one of those for the longest time but never have come across one that I could afford. Maybe someday.......

Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.