School me on "agressive" DE safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Frank Shaves, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

I currently have 2 DE safety razors. A new Wilkinson Sword TTO and an Assured TTO DE razor from the Dollar Tree. Now the difference in build quality between the two is like night and day. The Wilkinson feels solid and heavy while the Assured one feels light and flimsy with a cheap feeling butterfly mechanism. Obviously that would account for the price. However I sometimes enjoy using it for it's more pronounced blade exposure and bigger blade gap compared to the Wilkinson. I just know it will fall apart soon.

I guess my question is, what other reasonably priced DE safety razor would you folks recommend as a "less mild" or more agressive one but with good build quality?

Thanks!

2. brit

brit in a box

merkur 34 hd or vintage gillette red tip..

3. Frank Shaves

Oh yes I forgot the Gillette red tip. Thanks I will look for one!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. manu.aneja

manu.aneja Active Member

The razors from west coast shaving or maggards have the same de89 head design but are usually more aggressive...and they dont cost much...you could try one of those

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I would also go with a Red Tip, very efficient. But you can always get a Gillette adjustable to dial in the level of aggressiveness you'd prefer.

6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Wilkinson is made by Weishi.
    On AliExpress there're lots of great option.
    I like the Cobbled head geometry, as the Maggard V3A.
    Effective, but not aggressive, can be very comfortable in the right hands.

If you want very aggressive, look for Yaqi on AE:
    • Slant
    • Knight Helmet
    • Slant Aggressive (Mellon hybrid)

7. jimjo1031

V3A is another good one. I pair it with a slightly heavy handle.

Frank Shaves and ischiapp like this.
  8. Frank Shaves

Interestingly you mention the adjustable razor. I was just looking at the Ming Shi 3000s adjustable for $15. :eek:

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Frank, (Is that your name?)
    I have to ask what you are really looking for? I can make some great suggestions, but I need to know.
    Do you want to REALLY feel the blade? Because that, by itself is not going to necessarily give you a better shave.
    Do you have a particularly heavy beard? Even the Feather AS-D2, when used properly, can knock down the thickest stubble.
    I (we) need more information.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call a Red Tip Super Speed aggressive. It is more like mid level between mild and wild. If it is too mild for your liking you'll definitely be able to skip over the other Super Speed variations since it is the most aggressive of them. Nice thing though is if you get one and don't overpay you'll be able resell it quickly and at least break even if you don't like it.

I'd suggest looking at the Ikon Shavecraft Tek razor which is supposed to be an aggressive.
    https://www.ikonrazors.com/product/ikon-shavecraft-tek-razor/

The B1 head is also an aggressive razor but considerably more price wise
    https://www.ikonrazors.com/product/b1-standard-razor/

11. jimjo1031

I like to call the Red Tip very efficient instead of aggressive.

12. octoserge

octoserge Member

The Red Tip fir me was the best shaving Gillette, aside from a 45/46 Aristocrat. The Red Tip is efficient and smooth for a vintage tto.

13. jimjo1031

The Ming Shi adjustable razor is very aggressive, even on it's lower settings. I honestly wouldn't recommend it as a starter adjustable razor, but that's my opinion.

Edison Carter and Frank Shaves like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Aristocrats without exception will always be more aggressive than any Gillette Super Speed razor. Same holds true for Diplomat and rhodium plated Presidents vs Super Speed razors.

15. jimjo1031

Love my Aristocrats..............

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Italian made Schone razor is another one of those value all brass DE razors that is considered aggressive.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011SD4AQC/?tag=thshde-20

The FaTip Piccolo and Grande are similar Italian made razors but cost a little more in the $30 range.

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Edison Carter and Frank Shaves like this.
  18. Frank Shaves

Thanks for the reply and good questions! Yes, I do want to feel the blade and hear it as well (feedback) and thank you for clarifying that. Yes I have what I guess would be a medium to heavy beard it's fairly coarse. Now I am totally new to the world of using a double edge razor having used the disposables for years so this gives you an idea where I'm coming from. Since using a DE razor though I will never use those disposable razors again. That being said, I started with the dollar store TTO DE razor about 3 weeks ago and then got the Wilkinson when I saw it at Walmart and after using both I seemed to get the shave I am after with the dollar store razor but the thing is built like a toy. Now, to be fair I am using Wilkinson Sword blades in both so maybe trying sharper blades might help achieve the shave I am looking for in the Wilkinson/Weishi razor? Could it also be my technique? I do have a couple of vintage Gillette 3 piece Tech razors being shipped to me. I wonder how they would compare to the Wilkinson/Weishi in terms of aggressiveness. Should I maybe try sharper blades and work on my technique?

19. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

If you can, try before you buy. If there is something out there that you want to try give someone a shout out to see if they can let you borrow it for a week or two.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks for clarifying. First off YES!!! you should work on your technique. The mistake many, many newbie traditional wet-shavers make is succumbing to the "allure" of...whoa...aggressive razor. Seriously. In your arsenal, you already own, or will soon own, razors and blades that will give you the greatest shaves you have ever had. To jump around right now and look for different blades and more aggressive razors would be a huge error, before solidifying your shaving technique.
    Therefore, I strongly urge you to pick ONE razor; ONE soap; ONE blade and use that combination everyday for the next 30 shaves. Then, and only then, will you be informed enough to branch out with different, and yes---more aggressive gear.
    That, my friend, is my best advice.