"Scotch Straight Up, Any Single Malt Will Do..." Sir Sean Connery

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I guess you do like The Macallan 18 or 21....I tried the 18 and it was oh so fine, but not inexpensive...thats definitely top shelf...I'll save it for if ever Sir Sean or maybe the Queen comes to visit.....or you my friend...;)

2. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I only tried a few, but I really like Tallisker. Very peaty, maybe a little too much to go well with a nice cuban cigar. Alternatively, Balvenie Double Wood was pretty good too and much easier going downrange with a cigar.

3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

My experience with scotch is limited as well, but I do find I love Macallan quite a bit. I dont' recall if I have 12 year or 18 year in the cabinet right now.

4. Bird Lives

I'm with you on both of those....the Balvenie doesn't demand the attention that Talisker does, but both so extremely good taste and taste extremely good...:)
    The Macallen label is sure to always provide a pleasurable experience....very fruity, and sherry-ish....A friend of mine was playing a private BYOB party in upstate NY and Sean Connery was there...I asked him what Sean brought as his bottle, and he said 'The Macallen"...:)

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I like peat so it's Lagavulin for me. But, I've also recently discovered Isle of Jura (Prophecy) and Oban which have less peat, but are also less expensive and still quite nice.

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I do enjoy a nice single-malt like a Glenfiddich 12. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit to preferring a couple ice cubes in it though. Also, I've never really had anything over 12 years old that I thoroughly enjoyed either. I guess that means I'm not really a sophisticated scotch drinker but it doesn't matter to me. I like what I like and that's that :)

7. Bird Lives

At the risk of sounding unsophisticated as well....I must confess....I like ice in my Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12s too...but then I like ice in my tea and soft drinks also...
    And to make matters worse.....I think Scotch is maybe my favorite alcoholic beverage to use for mixing...I love it in Eggnog, with fruit juices, in green tea....I even substitute Scotch for rum in my Mohitos....
    I also like a couple oz. JW Black with soda and lemon...very refreshing!!
    And to make matters worse...I always keep one bottle of a nice blend such as JW Black Label in the fridge.....:)
    But in my defense...I don't look at a family reunion as a way to meet chicks...lol...:eek:

8. Bird Lives

BTW.....Straight Up does not mean just pouring whisky in a glass and drinking it....thats 'neat'...
    I'm not crazy for my whisky 'neat'....I prefer it 'Straight Up'....Here let me cut and paste a quote from the experts...

Neat typically refers to a undiluted shot of liquor served at room temperature while the straight up is usually used to describe a drink that's chilled with ice (shaken or stirred) and strained into a glass.

9. jmckay0901

jmckay0901 Active Member

The Macallan is my absolute favorite. I regularly drink the 12 year old bottle and have had the privilege of having a dram of the 21 but I am really dying to try one I saw labeled Cask Strength. Has anyone out there tried this bottle and what did they think?

10. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

The Macallan, the older the better, but I'm particularly found of the 17 y.o.
    I have a bottle of the 18 yo in my camping gear from last year that is still half full. I do a lot of camping/fly fishing alone as my wife doesn't care to join me.

jmckay0901 likes this.