Scripto Classic mechanical pencils

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Feb 6, 2020.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Curious about these pencils (borrowed pic)

vtg-scripto-classic-mechanical-pencil_1_acd823e47aef81ceab3d2894abc87562.jpg

They haven't been made for years. Can someone give me an idea when they first came out? My dad's recollection is fuzzy; says he had several way back and thinks they may go as far back as the late 1950s. Thanks...

steve207, PLANofMAN and Keithmax like this.
  2. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

PLANofMAN, DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Arriving this week. I look forward to getting them back in shape. Top blue will be a challenge

20200209_131506.jpg

beemers and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Received yesterday. All of them needed a basic polishing and slight lube at the turn fitting, while a few required more sanding attention to the nickel finish on clip, tip, and ferrule. The upper blue one was completely locked up and is still soaking in an lube bath. I suspect it's rusted solid inside and is a lost cause.

Colors of the styrene are still quite bright despite the start of stress cracks and crazing on a few, but red, yellow, and green now look like new (I also have a smoke gray one not pictured). A coat of clear gloss is planned.

The red's is the only eraser not rock hard. I'm scratching my head on workarounds for the others as the erasers are an odd size.

These take 1.1 mm lead, which is satisfyingly chunky to write with but these have their original harder, paler grade of graphite. Some softer, darker leads are inbound.

The smooth turnscrew mechanism feels refined compared with the click mechanism seen everywhere today, but I guess it was more expensive and labor intensive to make than the clicker. It's nice to be able to choose the exact amount of lead you want sticking out of the end.

Anyway, the Scripto Classic is a fine piece of bygone writing history that you should snag if you ever come across any. Not sure yet if it will replace my 0.7 mm all-steel Zebra...but the relative near weightlessness, cheerful hues, and retro charm of the Scriptos are as big plus in their favor. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got one of those in '63 and used it through '67 when I entered the Army. I loved that pencil. It was blue. I went through a number of erasers though.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I will end up with an extra blue if you'd like to relive old times. Not the rusty one, it's junked.

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I would love to relive the old days.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll PM you when I get them all fully prepped this weekend.

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That's great, thanks.

10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Happy to see this thread. I've gotten into restoring old Esterbrook fountain pens which led to ancient dip pens, and then vintage pencils. All of this led to writing and sending family members letters, which in turn caused three grandchildren to want a pen like Pa.

richgem likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The colorful Esterbrooks always been my favorite looking fountain pen.

richgem likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And they're still pretty easy to find! (The interchangeable nibs are cool too, tho some of them can be expensive.)

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. Chuck Naill

gorgo2 and richgem like this.
  14. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I remember these i got my first ones when i was in grade school in the 90s loved them untell i couldn't find the lead for them.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

1.1 is available pretty cheaply... I'm just not sure if it's all old stock or current production. If it's current, I've never seen a new pencil that takes that size. Some come in 0.9, then jumps up to 1.3.

steve207 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The easiest eraser hack I could come up with is to pull off a regular wood pencil's eraser, ferrule and all, and trim that ferrule to half its length. It then fits pretty snug inside the Scripto's ferrule and erases fine.

17. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll remember that if i come across one again

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

At work. Red lead comes in handy.

20200217_131727.jpg

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I just got this nice Classic Scripto from @gorgo2. It looks and feels great. Thank you, my friend.

scripto.JPG

richgem and gorgo2 like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Speaking of mechanical pencils, I got this one to go with a 1942 Parker 51.
    Parker Mechanical.jpg

gorgo2 and richgem like this.