Semogue 2000 and 1305

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Teiste, Jun 4, 2009.

1. beyboo

beyboo New Member

:D:D
    Any experience with an Omega boar for comparison. I am sure the Semogue will be tough competition.

btw, did u change the sig "who needs badger ..." after this purchase ?? (just wondering)

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Beyboo,Im ashamed to recognize this,but a friend gave me as a present an Omega brush about 5 years ago and I did accept it but never used it cuz I thought that was such a low quality brush.....I gave it to my brother and he never used it for shaving.
    Eventually I will get an Omega too.Im thinking in a 49 one(I really like the handle)But as I have said I wanna try the synthetic ones too as MenU or the knot that the Golden nib sells.Actually Im gonna post a thread now about the MenU.

3. beyboo

beyboo New Member

While the 49 is very popular and gets very soft over use, I would recommend one of those imitation badger boars which are the high end ones from Omega. I have the 31025, 31064 (Watch my shaveden). They did not stink out of the box and are very soft with a wee bit of use.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

WooHoo!!!

My 1305 came in today!!! :happy108 :happy108 :happy108

I can't wait to take her for a spin tomorrow! (should I do any prep tonight, or just the normal soak before lathering?)

View attachment 10681

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I did some preparation before,like lathering with it like 5 or 6 times on a bowl with a hard soap and cream(superlather).You are gonna love that brush!!

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yeah, I should've followed your advice I think, Teiste. This morning's lather as barely enough to get through 1 pass, and I should have added some more cream for the 2nd pass, but I didn't. Could it be the cream? I used the Confianca O-Melhor from The Vintage Scent. Maybe it just doesn't produce a large amount of lather? I don't know - first time with that, too... :rolleyes: I broke the cardinal rule - too many changes at once...

How long will it take to break in? I can tell you that for how stiff the bristles are, and how strong the backbone is, the tips are unbelievably soft. I definitely think I picked a winner here. :happy088

7. domino

domino New Member

Use a blow drier a few times.It will help break it in quicker:cool:

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Yeah man,that brush is a winner!Be patience with it.It took like a week for me to break but as i told you before on our chat,today(well,yesterday for me:rolleyes:) I made tons of lather from a puck of glycerin soap.Its really worthy to wait for that brush to break cuz when it does rewards you with tons of lather.

9. Corey

Corey Member

Alright Teiste, you've hooked in another. I just placed my order for a 1305. I think it's time to expand my shave brush collection to 2. I can't wait to get it!

10. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Corey,you did enable me to get a Progress and customize it and Im doing the same with you with the Semogue....:rolleyes::rolleyes: Its a brilliant brush for its price.Im not going back to badger in a long. long time(specially after realizing how much money I have spent in badger brushes that performs exactly the same than the Semogue boar brushes).

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

OK Teiste, if you could only have one, which would it be? the 2000 or the 1305 and why?

Yeah, I know... for the cost I can buy both.

12. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Bought the 1305 today. Looking forward to getting the beauty. Something about that handle.

13. Teiste

Teiste New Member

The 2000 my friend.Has a 25 mm knot,soft tips,great backbone,makes tons of lather and its perfect for facelathering.However the 1035 is a good option too.;)

14. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

My 2000 is quickly approaching the “If there could only be one brush, this would be it” status; and it’s not even fully broken in yet. I think I need to order a couple more; I don’t think I could have too many!

15. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Charles!I have been missing your SOTD lately!Im agree with you about the 2000 being the only brush,but I also have the 1305 and it makes it difficult...:rolleyes:

16. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I've been a little busy lately, should get back on track soon though.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Well, I've had a chance for my 1305 to break in. It did that on its 3rd day, using it on a puck of IK. It's been great ever since. I'd swear it's softer than my Golden Nib silvertip, with much more backbone. Perfect for face lathering. Me, I don't think I'd need the 2000 - maybe a little too big for my tastes. I'm sending off my ER 100T for a buddy to try out a boar brush. It's what got me hooked, and I think the 1305 is the perfect step up from the ER.

In all, if I ever buy another brush, it'd probably be a 1305 to replace the one I have in case it ever got lost/broken/damaged/etc.... Otherwise, I'm content with just the one. To me, the 1305 is the only brush you'll ever need....

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well my 1305 started its journey on Monday. I hope to have it soon. I almost went with the 2000, but I already have a boar that size and wanted to try this handle. Softer than the Goldennib silver? Wow! I can't wait!

19. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I can tell you that mine is getting softer and softer and the backbone is still firm.As you said perfect for facelathering.

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:happy102

Then don't check out my review....