Semogue 2000 vs. Omega Pro

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Zach, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Zach

Zach New Member

So I really like the Semogue 2000, a lot.
    Some aspects of it are my favorite across the board, of any brush.
    I have not spent any time or energy on this brush and I've been asked to compare it to the Omega pro brushes, and so here it is.
    First off, I have to apologize for the pictures; I used 3 brushes shaving today to refresh my memory of the comparison of the three;
    I asked the wife to pack a 48, 49, and 2000 in a bag for me to take to work, where I can photograph them and write this up.
    Though I have a display shelf and storage shelves, I did not make it clear to pack a dry version of each and she picked 2 of them that were not dry.
    So, the pictures suffer, especially the overhead, which is almost useless.
    I will add a new pic tonight when I get home.

So, the three brushes.

Executive summary:
    You need all three of them.

If you had to pick 2, it would be the 2000 and either Omega. I've decided that my views of the 48's superiority to the 49 do not reflect everyone's views, since it is an opinion after all, and that the difference is not so great as to make much of a difference at all.
    I always will say, however, if you want to try a boar, your first one should be a 48. If Paul at Connaught is out of 48s and only has 49s, not a tragedy.
    Once you get the baseline, you really should get many more brushes.
    You should experience the softness and the luxury of the Omega 31xxx line, or the gorgeous Omega Capodimonte (or 13639 if you must)
    You should experience the blur between boar and badger that Vulfix was able to pull off, or, if you prefer a small brush, again Vulfix.
    And finally, you simply must have the handmade Portuguese masterpiece that is the best (from the perspective of 'a tool for shaving') brush on the market right now (2000 for me, 1305 for most others)

Here is a picture of all three, standing:

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of them laid out so that you can better compare the knots and the lofts without having to extrapolate from the heights of the handles:

[​IMG]

These are the measurements that I have taken; now keep in mind that it's sometimes difficult to get the right number when oftentimes it falls in between 1/2 of a millimeter on the digital calipers. But, after 3 attempts at each, and an average with a rounding off, here are my readings:

Omega 48
    Knot: 28mm
    Loft: 66mm
    Height: 130mm

If you subtract the loft from the height you can get the handle, which is 64mm
    The Omega 48 is the tallest of the three brushes, and it has the same sized knot as the 2000, but it is not nearly as densely packed as the Semogue.
    The effects of this I will explain.

Omega 49
    Knot: 26mm
    Loft: 60mm
    Height: 125mm
    Handle: 65mm

Semogue 2000
    Knot: 28mm
    Loft: 60mm
    Height: 115mm
    Handle: 55mm

So what are the differences between these brushes?

Density of knot
    As you can easily see from the top of the 3 brushes, the Semogue is the densest:

[​IMG]

The Semogue has 1/3 more bristle packed into the brush. The effect of this is a lot like the boar version of the Shavemac; the Shavemac is so densely packed with hair that it feels like a wall of badger on your skin; since badger is SOFT and does not absorb water (non porous), a LOT of badger rubbed on your skin like this has a feel kind of like rubber. Since boar is porous (permeable to fluids is my use of the word here) it doesn't feel like rubber, but a dense wall of boar from the 2000 feels different than the Omega offering. The Omega gives a more distinguishable tactile response; kind of like a lot of little fingers rubbing your face. The Semogue is more like a slightly number version (fewer and fatter fingers, for example) and a tad more backbone of course, based on the density. If you ever thought that an Omega had turned too soft on you or that you really want a scrubbier feeling, this brush is for you. In addition, the Semogue knot, when it blooms, is huge, almost 50% bigger than the 49.

Again, though it's wet, you can see how much fuller the 2000 is. This is a very, very big brush; almost a brute!
    The density of the knot makes it eat soap a little bit more; you can counter this effect by lathering with a lot of water, as I like to do, then scooping up the foam that is created but not good for shaving, and pumping this back into the brush; if you pump your brush while you're lathering you'll use more product, forcing it deeper into the knot, and you'll have more soap for your shave.
    In addition, the density (which means quantity of bristle as well) of the knot means more stink for the first couple of uses (the brush made my lather brown for the first 1 or 2 test latherings) and also a MUCH LONGER break-in period. Most people see the 48/49 soften in a week, really soft in 3 months, and fully broken in after about 6 months; this guy took a MONTH to get soft, and it still not broken in all the way, though lots of hairs have split. Two more things:
    - This brush will likely never get as soft as the 48/49 (though it is very soft) and if you like a firmer brush, then...
    - This brush benefits from a 5 minute dip in hot water while you shower; it makes a better lather in addition to being softer; it doesn't steal soap as much either

Length of loft
    Since the 48 has such a longer loft (10% is a lot more than it seems) it requires a little more dexterity and a lot more soap in the brush to keep the Omega from flopping around; this is of course not a problem or a shortcoming, it just is what it is. If you know what you're doing or are willing to experiment until you get it right, this way that it is [is] a great way to be.
    Though the 49 has about the same loft, when you factor in the larger knot and the greater density into a similar loft, these brushes of course do not act the same at all. As big a brush as the 49 is, when you bring it to your face you will feel the difference. If you have detailed facial hair, this is going to get soap all over your face, no exactness here.

Quality of handle
    The handle for the 49 is likely the most useful shape of any handle of any brush; it's perfectly ergonomic for lathering,. The 48 is similar though since it's a bit larger and doesn't need to be, probably it just 'is' to make this the bigger brush, it's not as good.
    However, both of these handles are hollow plastic, and though the SHAPE is the most useful of any brush, the handle CERTAINLY cannot be called the best handle; it's cheap plastic. The shape of the 2000 has to be modeled from the 49; and though it's smaller, its heft and its solid, dense feel make it a better 'tool' for the use of lathering. And don't ever worry about water seeping into this handle; the handle will last as long as the knot I'm sure.

Density of the bristle
    Take a look at this photo:
    [​IMG]

These are randomly picked bristles representative of the brush; I did not pick out thin ones or thick ones.
    If you'll notice, the bristle in the 2000 is noticeably thicker than the 49 (and the 48 is about the same as the 49)
    Now a while back I surmised that this had to be a different 'animal'. Although we call them 'boar' the source of these bristles are usually domestic pigs and not wild boar. I asked Leon at Vintage Scent to find out about this, and he said that although it is from a different source of bristle, it's still pig and not wild boar. So much for that theory. But, it is a very different bristle, with more backbone and with different characteristics. I like it a lot; I wish that it was 'boar'! This guy drinks a lot of water, therefore, and as previously stated, you will make a better lather if you let it soak, so that it does not steal from you.

Clipping (shaping) of the bristles
    While this is NOT a "clipped boar" along the lines of a Burma Shave or a Jagger brush, Eric (GlassMtn) pointed out to me a short while ago that his had 'some' clipped bristles. I looked at it very carefully; I always look for split hairs right away to verify it's not a clipped brush, and finding them, I let it go. But Eric's more discerning eye asked me to look again, and if you look closely as well, you'll notice that it's a mix of (mostly) unclipped as well we some clipped boar. It's my belief that this brush has been 'shaped' like a Christmas tree is, as the final process to make it look perfect, and this caused some bristles to get cut. There is the occasional sensation of something like a 'prick' more than a 'skritch' but it's not at all unpleasant; again, had Eric not pointed this out I would not have (and did not) notice and did not think negatively about the brush after this discovery. Take a look at the pic below and you'll see both split and the occasional clipped bristle.

[​IMG]

If you look at the 48, especially since it’s dry, you can see the tips take on a lighter white color; that’s because of the natural taper and the split of all the individual hairs, making it lighter than the shaft. You really don’t see this on the 2000. If you want a softer bristle, it’s the Omega; if you want the softest bristle possible, try the 31xxx or the Capo. Still, like good vs. evil, you have to have both; how can you feel softness if you’ve not experienced backbone?
    So there you have it in a nutshell; my advice is to take everything I have said with a grain of salt and buy all 3 and look and feel for yourself.
    I do promise that you will love these brushes, though. Especially if you're happy with a VDH boar; this is another world altogether that you deserve to be a part of.

All the best,

Zach

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

BRILLIANT as always Zach!This thread should be a sticky!Thanks a lot.

3. sachin

sachin Member

Great review, Zach. I haven't tried the 2000 or either of the Omegas but I have a Semogue 1305, which is way better than the VDH, I was using before. I love the Semogue and haven't used my C&E BBB as much after getting the Semogue.

4. selhov

selhov New Member

really smashing revew i love shaving brushes and have a few but i dont have ither of the omega,s i must now try them i have the semouge 2000,and 1305,which ar bouth difrent but great thanks a lot really intoresting reading chear,s,

5. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

The Omega Pro. is so huge I don't see how it could be used save for instances of bowl-mixing then face-painting - on me, at least.

I've heard of people face-lathering with it and getting lather in their hair and eyes and so on and so forth, and I believe 'em!

I love the Omega 10077, small while capable of holding lather for many passes.

My favorite brush, no doubt! :)

6. Zach

Zach New Member

Thanks guys for the kind words.
    K, you're right, the big boar is NOT for everyone, and the Semogue and Omega are these big brushes; you should try one first, though; you might like it!

People like Teiste seem to be the glue that holds forums together; just an observation.

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Man Zach, that's an awesome write-up! It sounds like I may have to consider adding to my boar collection... :D (like I needed a lot of arm twisting..:rolleyes: )

8. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

Great review Zach, as always. I just ordered a Koh-I-Noor SC 68, and will be interested in how it compares to the Semogue 2000. I am liking my 2000 more and more and more with each use. Definitely soak it while in the shower.

eric.

9. Zach

Zach New Member

Hey Eric;
    GREAT to see you online.
    Interestingly enough I just ordered an SC68 as well! :D

I have heard people ask about the size of the handle on the 2000, that it looks small; this is NOT the case. The business end of the handle (the part you use) is about the same size as the 48/49; the top part of the 48/49 adds to its size and makes it look bigger, but does not add anything to the usability of the handle, you don't grip it up that high.

10. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Zach,whats the SC68?

11. Zach

Zach New Member

12. Zach

Zach New Member

Looks like the Boreal Pro line
    Hope it's different though...

13. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I find the Semogue 2000 handle provides a very comfortable grip. I have a small hand, and I don't know what people with large hands think of it.

eric.

14. Zach

Zach New Member

I have huge hands; not a problem!

15. Teiste

Teiste New Member

thanks for the link!Zach,thats looks like an Omega.Boreal are cool looking brushes.In the past they used to be sold in El Corte Ingles along with Omega and Vie Long.I hope to find a boar Boreal one since it seems that theyre hard to get now.

16. Zach

Zach New Member

17. domino

domino New Member

Zac,thanks!!
    Excellent review
    Which brush has a better flowthrough,the 2000,or the 48-49 models

18. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

A superb write up Zach!

19. Is there a distributor for the Semogue in the US.....with decent prices? I know it can be ordered from overseas, but I would prefer to buy it from someone in the US.

If not, I guess I'll be buying the Omega. :D

20. Zach

Zach New Member

The Omega has better flow through but also a longer loft.
    It's not hard to fill this fat knot with plenty of soap to get the job done.

You can't get these in the states but Leon's shipping is not a lot, it does take at least a week from Portugal though. I recently placed an order with Leon for the 444 aftershave balm and can't wait to try it as described on the site. Leon doesn't have a lot of stuff on his site but everything he has is new and different, maybe if something there strikes your fancy it will be worth it to throw in a 2000.

best,

Zach