Semogue 2000 vs. Omega Pro

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Zach, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Teiste

Teiste New Member

My friend,vintagescent has a REALLLY DECENT cheap prices for the Semogue boar brushes and the shipping fees are just a joke (I think 2 euros,like 4 dollars to USA) but the Omega are good options too.

2. Yep, the prices + shipping at VintageScent is great. I may just go that route.
    Unfortunately, this is going to have to wait (even at the price), as I've already overspent for this month. :(

Gah! After trying a gazillion badger brushes, I figured out that I really like the feel of my super-cheap HJM boar brush better. However, that one sheds like my cat.

I wish I hadn't wasted all that money on the badger brushes now. :rolleyes:

3. Zach

Zach New Member

This one?

I was going to buy cases of this brush and give them away this spring, to spread the boar assault.

Sadly I felt at the time that I would be doing the cause a disservice by doing so; if you like this brush try the 1305 instead.

4. Yep, that's the one. Not having tried any other boar brushes since, I can't say if that's the best 'feel' for me, but I do prefer it to my badger brushes, even the C&E BBB.

The badgers do whip up a lather faster, but just don't feel 'right'. I like rough towels too, so maybe that's why I prefer the stiffness of the boar.

5. beyboo

beyboo New Member

As always Zach and your science of the boar. Truly fantastic writeups. Would like to point out, your love of the boar is so evident in all your writeups, that you anyway spread the boar assault with your words, without having to give them away :)

I have 6 boars for the record as of now 5 from Omega and 1 which is locally made.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Zach -
    Based on your description of the Semogue bloom, I'm thinking it's not for me. I do like small to medium brushes better. That leaves me considering an Omega (something smaller than the 49) or a Vulfix. How does the Vulfix brushes compare in terms of the amount blooming and tip softness? Do you have a specific Vulfix model you'd recommend?

Also, I'm not happy with my VDH brush. It's barely good enough as a travel brush and will be replaced for that within a year. I'm glad I tried the little travel boar I have or I might not have realized how good boar bristle can be. Now I need something with more than a ~15mm knot.

7. Zach

Zach New Member

Beyboo, thanks; how about a picture of the local brush!

Well, Erik, if you like smaller, in the Omega line, the 'colors' line of brushes (with the popular 10066 being the white color) are very popular but I slightly prefer the (less boring, frankly) 31052 or 31060 family of brush; a sketch and some color to the handle. The 30005, with the 24mm knot and the solid wood handle is also a winner for me. I know that the VDH brush has its fans but I am not one of them. DrIdiot on the bay was selling 10029s for nothing, also the 10081. I love these brushes all.

The Vulfix is a blur between boar and badger; it's soft and feels broken in from the start, and the handles are magnificent; they are all the same size with the exception of the #18 which is slightly larger but also less dense. I know that our mutual friend DavidB thinks the 2233 boar is the second coming of shaving brush. Michael Leisureguy was not having a lot of luck with his 374 recently, which shares the same head. I think that with such a small brush (20mm knot, 55mm loft, 100mm tall, 1.9 oz) that he overestimated the amount of soap he was pulling and would need to compensate. I assure you that you can get 2-3 passes from 1 load (if that's what you want). Of the Vulfix I prefer the 22mm #18.

The Semogue 1305 is also a great brush, smaller and softer than the 2000, and with a wonderful old world handle as well. Great with soaps and creams and it has lots of fans here.

8. Zach

Zach New Member

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  10. Markwtb

Markwtb Member

clipped ends question?

Zach

I read somewhere that boar bristles will split at the tip after being used for awhile. Therefore, you must break in the brush in order for the ends to split and become softer. I think I was wrong in thinking that even clipped ends would split. Will they ever split and become softer? Maybe clipped ends are too thick to split and do not have the natural taper that leads to split ends?

My VDH does not look like it will ever split at the tips and become softer?

Thanks for the great information. Love my Semogue 1305!

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks for the great reply. Based on the additional information I can get down to three brushes: The Omega 31066, the Vulfix #18, and the Semogue 1305. Considering I'm equally interested, I'll go to price and throw out the Omega. I'll order one of the other two in the next few weeks after one of my expense checks from work. I'll have to check prices and if I can get any of the other items I'm looking at from a vendor of either brush.

12. Zach

Zach New Member

The clipped bristles won't split in any kind of a number that you'd notice or that would make any difference. A clipped brush like the Burma Shave or the E Jagger boars are going to stay skritchy forever. You're right, it needs the natural taper, the split begins there and if you clip it they rarely ever split.

The VDH brushes are not clipped, and should split just fine and make for a soft brush that a lot of people love (not me, but it has its fans).

13. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Zach, thanks for an incredible review.

14. Well, you guys have me convinced!!
    Since I promised my wife that I wouldn't spend any more money on shaving stuff for a few months (those straight razors cost a bit, huh!), I posted a WTT thread over on B&B (I have the requisite time and posts there to do so).
    I already got a trade done for the Omega 49 :D, but I'm hoping someone on there will be willing to trade a Semogue 2000.

Anyway, I'm waiting with bated breath for the Omega. :)

Thanks for the write-up again, Zach. It helped a lot.

15. Teiste

Teiste New Member

UFF,once you try the Semogue you are hooked so its gonna be hard to find somebody to trade with unless you take the Semogue out of his cold hand...:happy102:happy102:happy102 but that wouldnt be a trade...:D

16. Yeah! I'll bet you're right. There's no hurry, though. Maybe I'll just sell some of the stuff I have, and raise the money to buy the brush. As long as there are no Paypal charges showing on the bank account, the wife won't care ;).

17. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Honestly is worthy.I shaved with mine this morning(2000) and the brush is performing so outstanding.I dont know what else to say but thats a fantastic brush.

18. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Very nice write up Zach! Dont know how I missed this to be honest. Teiste has helped me tremendously is answering alot of boar brush questions and going for the Semogue 1305. I was brain washed early on the badger was king. Boar is incredible. Very nice review and comparisons.

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Based on this, I decided to go for one of the Vulfix brushes. I found the VS/5 on Bullgoose for $10.50. It was so cheap, I added the Omega 20086 for another $10. Plus a stick of Speick, but that's off topic. Thanks for the advice and I'll post reviews after I've had a chance to try these out.

20. Well, I got lucky and sold a couple of things on another forum. This raised enough cash for to buy the Semogue 2000.
    It's now ordered and hopefully will be on the way to me soon.:D

Can't wait to try these boar brushes out.:happy108