Semogue and Omega Badger Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GeneralKinetics, Jul 17, 2015.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

How are the Finest/Silvertip brushes by Semogue and Omega compared to other manufacturers?

2. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have the Semogue 2013 Foro Afeitado Limited Edition (Horn handle), the Semogue 2013 Special Edition (Olive Wood handle), the Semogue 2015HD (Cherry Wood handle), and the Barbear Classico Texugo Limited Edition (Cherry Wood handle). Each one is marvelous. Of these, the 2015HD is the only one on the open market. It has an exceptional knot. Soft but with enough backbone to face lather. I have a Romera Rustic Chubby and the knot is great. I recently picked up a TSN 2015 Paladin Limited Edition. I have not had the Paladin long enough to make a final judgement but, initially, I prefer the Semogue and Romera knots. I cannot speak for the Omega badgers. I became a Semogue fan early on because of the knots and the beautiful wood handles. I am confident the Omegas are nice and others will give their opinion.

jimmy Mac likes this.
  3. GeneralKinetics

Cool. I wonder how that 2015HD Cherry wood Compares to the Semogue 2 band Finest and then the Omega silvertips like the Omega 636 silvertip and then vs TGN vs Simpson X2l Colonel.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't own a Semogue Badger, but I do know that they use an independent source of badger hair, and not one of the two breeds of badger used in other brushes. That will make their brushes different from any others on that basis alone.

I'll try to find the link tonight.

5. GeneralKinetics

That's very interesting actually. Thanks.

6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have also owned the Semogue 2 Band Finest....
    Please do. The Semogue badgers are remarkable. Consistent in quality, bristle, and workmanship. Although I have no Omegas in which to compare them, they are my go to badger brush. I obtained the Romeras due to a good deal. To be able to get the Paladin LE was a surprise. I actually went after one just to see if I would be successful. They sold out in 97 seconds so it was the luck of the draw. I have used it several times and am not impressed......I prefer my Semogues over the Paladin.

7. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

Both brushes are excellent. I used the 2040HD yesterday and the SOC 2 band today. Both are lather machines. Which is better you ask? Tough question. Both have a different feel, but are independently superb. Get both.
    20150717_212937-1-1.jpg 20150717_212937-2.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Leon, the owner of Semogue, claims the badger hair comes from Meles Meles (European badger), however, several people who have a lot of experience with brushes are of the opinion that the hair is from the hog badger, the source of most "high mountain" badger hair.

So I guess this won't be resolved with a simple link.

jimmy Mac and GDCarrington like this.