Semogue or Omega?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

O-me-ga
    O-me-ga
    O-me-ga

Cheap looking plastic ring or not, I own & use several Omega brushes almost daily
    and there is nothing cheap about their durability and performance.

I was gifted a tin of Osma soap recently. The original owner found it a pain in the butt to lather.
    I chose my Omega 10066 for this soap, and it's got the Osma tamed quite well.
    (I used it just yesterday)

I've had a Semogue 2000 for nearly a year now, and while it certainly is a pretty brush, it just sits.
    I find the bristles thin and lightweight, and it gets much too soft to suit me.
    It's kind of like a flop-mop silvertip badger brush made from hog bristle.
    I don't like having to soak it in a cup with just he right amount of water to keep the wood handle from absorbing water either.
    Repeated cycles of water saturated wood = :(

Omega's don't have this problem. Just chuck 'em in the sink and let them soak.
    My opinion is that the plastic handle on the Omega brush was a wise choice,
    and one made from a practical standpoint.
    Sure, the plastic handle is probably cheaper than the wood handle of the Semogue.
    But that plastic handle isn't going to absorb water and swell, then dry out & contract.

Lastly, the Omega's won't splay out in use like the Semogue does.
    I've never had to store any Omega boar brush in a cardboard tube from
    a roll of toilet paper just to get it to hold it's shape.

Now, I'm not saying the Semogue is a poor quality brush.
    But I am saying it's a "pretty" and more delicate brush.
    I'm a bit more concerned about performance than pretty.
    I had a pretty and delicate girlfriend once, and the first time I got her down in the living room floor
    and wollered her around a bit, she got hurt and gave up on me.
    So I'll stick with the Omega. She may have a not-so-pretty ring around her knot,
    and some may say she's a bit ample in the lower handle regions,
    but she ain't scared of hot water, heavy soapage, or a hellacious scrub session with a rough beard.

And you damn sure don't have to dress her in a cardboard toilet paper tube before you take her home either! :bounce017:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Doryferon, Erik Redd, fram773 and 2 others like this.
  2. Blaidd

Blaidd Well-Known Member

Love my Omega 71276 boar.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is true. Although I still do it as a standard practice on all my brushes, the omegas seem to be the least effected by the tubing.

4. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Nice collection !
    How long to you have used this one ?

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

10005 not even 20 times yet, actually :(

Doryferon likes this.
  6. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I have at last count ten Omegas and six Semogues. Since my only thoughts regarding any preferences I have are pertinent to this thread, I'll chime in.

The Omega knots are superior to the Semogues knots. I also think they are a more robust brush in terms of enduring abuse. The Semogues are prettier. Much. And the handles are, to me, more comfortable. Or ergonomic if you will.

If your only criteria in deciding between the two is comfort in the hand, then I would answer Semogues (many others will disagree). In any other regard, the Omegas win hands down.

You may fire when ready, Gridley.

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Just ordered an Omega 81052. I sure hope with helps with The Fat and As well as my future purchase of Stirling . I get a decent lather but feel that horse hair is better for creams.

8. BigMark

The only complaint right now is how light it is. I do not want a super heavy brush but I like some heft.

9. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I really like my Semogue 830, but seeing all the praise for the Omega has me thinking I should try one.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It should never be either/or.....just get some of each make and see which is your own personal preference.

Bobcat and entropy1049 like this.
  11. BigMark

I might eventually get a Semogue but that wooden handle is not my thing. Think Expand and contract as was noted earlier . But if it is in a rotation it should last longer.

12. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

:signs011:

It might not be the cheapest way to get gear that works the best for you, but you will never know unless you try a few different makes.

13. fdce54

fdce54 Member

I have the Semogue SOC boar and the 1305. I have the Omega Pro 49 and 31064. The 31064 is the best performer of the four at half the cost of the SOC. To me the difference between the Semogues and Omegas is the Semogues are better made. My two Omegas shed hair like crazy. My Semogues don't.

14. virprobus

virprobus New Member

I have an Omega from a cream/ brush starter kit of sorts. It took a while to work in, but I am getting great lathers going now.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. Doryferon

Omega's Boar are lovely,nice looking and trusted !

;)

Soon i will represent 2 re-handle work from that brand.
    Omega has a different style in mounting-gluing compared with other brands.

16. angrygio698

angrygio698 Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404175536.456860.jpg
    I have a semogue 830 and an omega bee hive (forgot the model) but I love them both. The omega isn't quite broken in yet as it takes a little longer than my semogue to break in. Both have excellent back bone but the semogue holds lather a little more than the omega...probably because it isn't fully broken in.

Doryferon likes this.
  17. virprobus

virprobus New Member

That tri-color brush looks awesome!

18. Doryferon

Doryferon he "made" a tri-color Omega Boar.

[​IMG]

;)

angrygio698 and HoosierTrooper like this.
  19. Luecke2326

Luecke2326 New Member

You can't go wrong with the Semogue 620, it seemed to be 3/4 broken in when it came out of the package. It had absolutely no dead animal smell like many boars have. To me it's an absolutely wonderful hard soap brush with plenty of backbone and super soft tips. The SOC is very soft as well, but can be somewhat floppy, I like a good backbone. Best wishes with your choice.

Tedolph likes this.
  20. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

How about a Semogue 2040HD no wood!
    image.jpg