SEPT 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Aug 30, 2015.

?

How long since the switch to traditional shaving?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2015.
  1. 0-2 months

15.4%
  2. 2-6 months

10.8%
  3. 6-12 months

20.0%
  4. 12-24 months

7.7%
  5. More than 24 months

44.6%
  6. I am just here for the cookies

1.5%
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I found a guy selling them on eBay for a decent price. Since its BIN I think I'm OK posting the link. He sometimes has other samples.
    http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121755505936

2. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Day 18 of the month, and my Jack Black shave cream is still going strong. I may even be able to empty the pot by end of month..
    Using a small bowl to pre-lather seems to have done the trick getting a very decent lather.
    Shaves this week have been with my Feather razor as well as with a Gillette cartridge. And the latter did not appreciate the thick rich lather of this cream, the gap of the blades really got stuffed and needed loads of hot water and time for rinsing.. Not ideal for shaving in a hurry, a straight might get it done faster ;)
    [​IMG]

wristwatchb, Keithmax, Bill_F and 9 others like this.
  3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

September 18, 2015

Just a quick post. Used a Gem Pushbutton today.
    Cool mechanism idea with the pushbutton, loads easily.

Gem Pushbutton.JPG

1st pass - Mild razor. Minor blade feedback, so-so reduction on XTG pass.
    2nd pass - Reduced the remaining stubble to rubble as I hoped on ATG pass. Audible feedback was just right, no tugging.

Clean, close, comfortable shave.

I’m zipping through some of these razors as I’m going to the Seattle Shave Convention tomorrow and wanted to have a few for potential trades.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Cheers!
    RT

4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Just in time for Friday night - the Crazy Ivan Show!
    I'm with @Bama Samurai - popcorn all around!

Now this is living!:happy096:

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  5. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

YMMV - I just load up with up to 800 mg of advil or generic ibuprofen before I put my body through strenuous work and try to stay ahead of potential pain. This isn't an everyday thing...just when I know I'm going to need it.

Have fun!

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway. My wife and I lived in Asheville for 3 years. She really wanted to take a trip back there this October to catch all the foliage, but work is not going to cooperate for me. It is a great area, and the weather should be great. Hope you have a good time.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

MrC Den.jpg
    Mr.C I am soooo jealous of that workspace!

Razor rack, full lineup of AS on the sill (including the Veg!), double sink PLUS - you get the middle portion as well?!!
    Talk about living the dream, you're my hero!

Please tell, how did you negotiate that one? or have you won the SWMBO sweepstakes?!!

wristwatchb, clint64, Smoothy and 8 others like this.
  8. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I seem to experience the same post shave sensation. I have opinions about the shave immediately following it, but I notice that my face needs some time after the shave to calm down (usually an hour or two) before I can make a more complete judgement of my shave. I don't know if it's me or just the way of things....YMMV

wristwatchb, clint64, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

wristwatchb, clint64, Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  10. Petty3347

Petty3347 Well-Known Member

Yea that hour or two really tells the truth of how good a shave you actually got

wristwatchb, clint64, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's common for me to reevaluate a shave a couple hours later. Sometimes soap and after shave residue can interfere with the feel. I also find that checking it about 12 hours later gives a clue to the closeness too. Sometimes the shave feels the same as the day before at first but shows up different at 12 hours. Honestly by posting later in the day when I have to probably makes for a more accurate grade.

12. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Enjoy your ride.
    :transport016:
    But please be careful with that back. Lots of good flea markets and second hand shops in the small towns along the way to get off the bike and stretch the back. Have a safe and pleasant journey.

13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Vader.

14. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Thanks! I hope so too. They were very nice to me in my Fat Boy, but I'm going to treat them carefully tomorrow just in case they don't like the Tech.

15. Bama Samurai

I agree with @Rufus T. , wholeheartedly!

It's best to wait a bit before judging the quality of your razor work.

16. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Winner! :bounce017:

17. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

My wife and I are going up to Asheville-Hendersonville area in the springtime. We are looking for a condo to retire to in about 10 years. I have a long time friend/brother-in-law who lives near Spartanburg. Their sister lives in Mount Airy, North Carolina. That would put us somewhere in between them. Close enough for visits. Far enough to remain private. If I'm not mistaken, I think @Jayaruh lives in Hendersonville. We love that area. I pray that @clint64 has a pleasant time and that his back won't give him any problems.

wristwatchb, clint64, Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Day 18 - SEptember 2015

30 Days with a Schick G

image.jpg
    Day two brought perhaps the best shave of the month! Went back to Plisson and the La Toja. People may have noticed @RaZorBurn123 (Kerry) and I bantering about La Toja. It's that good. For real. Perfect lather everytime. I caught the grail on one, and went for BBS on two with minimal touchup. Every time I think a DE is going to become my fave, I try another injector. Couple more days of soap tests this month and it will be time figure out what what my plan is for October. Awesome sunny 74F day on the prairie. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a great weekend!
    :)

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor A: Ever-Ready 1914 WW1 SE
    Razor B: Merkur 34 C
    Blade A: Gem Blue Star SE (4)
    Blade B: Feather (4)
    Brush: Fendrihen Silver Tip Badger Black Faux Handle 22/49
    Soap: TSD Iced Barber Shoppe
    A/S: TSD Iced Barber Shoppe
    Day 18
    Outstanding BBS tonight with this combination. TSD soap was great as well as the A/S. Two passes with the 1914 and a cleanup with the 34C. This is probably the best brush I own. It loads fast, full and applies the lather great. Great way to start the weekend.
    Have a good weekend all.:wave:
    9 18 15c.jpg

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

It is beautiful country up there. Every now and then, my wife gets the bug and starts looking up there for a house. It is the one place we have lived that she would like to move back to. I would certainly consider for retirement as well (but with three kids and one on the way, I am a little ways away from that).