SEPT 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Aug 30, 2015.

?

How long since the switch to traditional shaving?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2015.
  1. 0-2 months

15.4%
  2. 2-6 months

10.8%
  3. 6-12 months

20.0%
  4. 12-24 months

7.7%
  5. More than 24 months

44.6%
  6. I am just here for the cookies

1.5%
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

+1

Drygulch, Rufus T., Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Congratulations!!! Hopefully the new adventure will be very fulfilling for you! Good luck on the future endeavor!!

Drygulch, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  3. wmbjr

Glad the reds worked well for you! Sorry the baby got away in the end but sounds like a DFS+++ shave!

Drygulch, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  4. wmbjr

Happy birthday!! Hope it is a great day for you!!

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Crazy Ivan in SEptember!
    September 19

Razor - Rimei
    Blade - rimei-stainless.jpg (1)
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, The Veg

Well, after yesterday's epic but not unexpected failure of the Patrix blade from China I had to let Crazy Ivan figure out what to do since I'm not putting that blade on my face again. Ever. I trust Ivan because, after all, if you can't trust the voices in your head who can you trust? I woke up this morning and a thought popped into my head. Chinese blades suck....but I've never tried one in a Chinese razor. And, I have a couple of Chinese razors, the Rimei and the Long Feng. And, in an even more interesting coincidence the Rimei razor came with a Rimei blade. Hmmmmmmm. So how about putting the two together and see what we get? What's the worst that could happen? Is my insurance paid up? Yes? Ok, that's the plan.

I chose the BoSFat to make sure of the lather against this most high tech setup. Oh, by the way, I paid $2.85 for the razor and blade so it's a high dollar shave! Actually the Fat I'm about to use probably costs more than the razor and blade. Got an excellent lather (man I love having this soap and brush dialed in) and thoroughly enjoyed the application. After all, I expect that will be the only pleasant sensation I feel this morning. So, brush down, razor up and here we go.

Started the first stroke and found myself staring in disbelief............it felt like a pass with an Aristocrat and Voskhod. No pulling, tugging, nothing, just a smooth stroke that left a nice smooth path behind it. Put the razor down. Thought for a second, yes I did get out of bed and I've had enough coffee to know this isn't a dream. Huh. Picked it up again and did another stroke. Felt great. Seriously, like the Aristocrat with Voskhod. That smooth. Went ahead and finished the first pass WTG and rinsed. Probably didn't cut anything is why it felt so good. Uh, nope. Very nice smooth first pass. Stared in confusion at the razor and the mirror. Checked for a pulse. Yeah, it's really me and I'm awake and really here.

Second pass XTG fantastic. Third pass ATG all the way and it was just as good as it gets in my book. Checked the neck, found a couple of minor spots that I slid through to finish up and BAM!!! There's the baby staring at me in the mirror. Tears began to well up in my eyes. I started hearing swells of music in the distance growing ever nearer and louder. The sheer joy of the moment threatened to overwhelm my emotions and............ok, well, enough melodrama. But seriously.....this was a great shave with a Chinese blade and a cheap Chinese razor. Now, to the alum. Maybe it wasn't really that good. No, it really was. The alum was silent so I skipped the Nivea and went straight to the Mighty Veg to finish off with a perfect touch. Even the Veg which can be a bit stinging was amazingly quiet.

I knew the razor was good as I had used it previously, but to pair it with a Chinese blade and have that result? Amazing. Now, the only question is whether or not the blade will be the same in a different razor! Inquiring minds want to know.

The only real downer? I can't find a bulk supplier of Rimei blades so the only way to buy them is individually at $.20. A bit high perhaps for a Chinese blade but perhaps not! After all, I got BBS with the thing. I'll keep looking for other options to purchase though. I'm not really interested in a bulk buy but would be interesting to see the price at bulk.

Hope your Saturday is off to a great start! Clear blue skies and 75 here today. Beautiful day to celebrate my first weekend off in years.

rimei setup.jpg

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks big guy!

Drygulch, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:thanks:

Drygulch, wmbjr, Dzia Dzia and 5 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Have fun tonight, Charlie!

Drygulch, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Happy Birthday! I hope your day is a great one!

Drygulch, Dzia Dzia, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For September 18th
    Razor - Schick J3 – “Golden 500”
    Soap - Figaro Sapone Da Barba
    Blade - 1960s Vintage Personna Vydax Coated Stainless
    Brush - Ever Ready C40 w/TGN 3 Band Synthetic 24/53 mm Brush

[​IMG]

If I Had a Hammer - Peter, Paul & Mary 1962

For September 19th
    Razor - Schick G
    Brush - Modified Made Rite w/21 mm Mystery Badger Knot

[​IMG]

Goodnight Irene - Weavers & Gordon Jenkins 1950

For September 20th
    Razor - Schick F
    Brush - Ever Ready C40 w/TGN 3 Band Synthetic 24/53 mm Brush

[​IMG]

"I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)" Duke Ellington 1941

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  11. Bama Samurai

Day 19 - SEptember 2015

30 Days with a Schick G

image.jpeg

Roll Tide!

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

You're making it hard to like your posts. ;)

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I switched to the Gem Push Button today. All I have to say about this razor is that it shaves like the last razor. I think I have the SE Gem blades figured out. I am getting very nice two pass shaves. It took the first week of this focus to figure out angles and pressure. I haven't had any irritation or weepers since. I can say that these will stay in the rotation. I have one more razor in the lineup for later in the week (Gem 1924). If I can keep my focus
    SOTD
    Gem push button
    Gem Stainless (1)
    Arko
    AOS Badger
    Glacial AS Splash
    Have a great weekend!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442705018.371320.jpg

14. wristwatchb

I do the same. After a shave, it's warm water, cool water, alum (leave on while I clean up my tools), cool water, WH, shea butter, and aftershave. I may be able to eliminate one or more of these steps, but it sure feels great. :happy088:

Did you notice that Clint and Mark are trying to please DI's with their shave? :eek: I don't' know about that. :signs002: I just try to please my lovely Bride. :happy102:

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, crb81 and 7 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, crb81 and 7 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

SEptember Focus Day 19:

Homemade PS Oil
    Stirling Synthetic Brush
    St. James Black Pepper and Lime SC
    Gem G Bar
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    The Veg

I got my Saturday started off right this morning. I woke up had a couple of cups of coffee, then a shower and a shave. My 4 year old son joined me for the shave, and we both went off to get a hair cut. It was great. I really like the St. James Pepper and Lime, the scent is fantastic, and it performs really well. I got a BBS from the G Bar this morning, but it came with a little irritation. It is now 7:00 PM local time, and I am still smooth as can be. Given the irritation and smoothness, I am likely going to skip my shave this morning. I am thinking that I am going to hold off using my Gem Micromatic OC unit next month's OCtober focus. So, I am probably going to switch back to the Injector, as I really liked this razor and want to master it. Plus, I do enjoy using a monogrammed razor.

17. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Happy Birthday Marky Maypo!

:bounce017: :greet002: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442713812.540829.jpg . :wave:

18. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Had a great shave this morning with my Gem 1912 before leaving for the Seattle Shave Conv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442714188.693157.jpg

Two passes and I was, @Bird Lives says "dolphin smooth!"

19. wristwatchb

Clint's grandson... :)

1.jpg

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, wmbjr and 9 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

:happy088: