SEPT 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Aug 30, 2015.

?

How long since the switch to traditional shaving?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2015.
  1. 0-2 months

15.4%
  2. 2-6 months

10.8%
  3. 6-12 months

20.0%
  4. 12-24 months

7.7%
  5. More than 24 months

44.6%
  6. I am just here for the cookies

1.5%
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And probably why Russian men drink even more!

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats Neal! I'm very happy for you! :)

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Happy Birthday, Mark!

You used a beautiful set up to celebrate your birthday, and the Feather Super Pro blade is top shelf!

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Just trying to maintain high standards.

:happy097:

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  5. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Mark! I hope it was a great one!

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

It was marvelous, thanks!

7. crb81

crb81 Well-Known Member

I've missed 10 pages of posts in the last 2 days! So I've been slacking in my forum reading!

To catch you all up I repeated my great shave from the other day. 2 passes with the R41/Ladas combo and last pass with the Tech and Derby setup. Used the PAA soap that day. Haven't got that dialed in yet. It may be less slick? Shave was good but only good. Just not great like with the Chiseled Face.

Next shave. Used just the Tech for shave 3 with the Ladas. Definitely not my fav combo. Not bad at all like the Walgreens blade but not good either. Not a bad shave. No crazy irritation. Just a ho-hum shave.

Today I skipped. Didn't get up until 12. Didn't do too much all day. I'll shave tomorrow and take my sweet time about it :-D

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

September 120 Focus Shave 16

This was the last focus shave of September, tomorrow I am off for my annual pilgrimage to the mother land. First some fun in Vegas and then to visit my father in SC.
    3+ passes and everything seemed good, alum check, no irritation but not even DFS today:angry019:. The razor felt like it was tugging a little bit, not smooth like it usually is. Since this was the last focus shave of the month I used my best shaving straight and even stropped it with CRox, PRC western kami, I think I need to take to the 12k stone when I get back.

Homemade Pre Shave
    Castle Forbes Lavender / AoS tallow
    Simpson Polo 8 super silver tip
    PRC western kami
    PRC hanging strop
    Alum block to keep my fingers dry
    Speick AS
    Muhle ASB
    Creed Jardin d' Amalfi

See y'all in October's focus thread. :transport015:

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes WTG-XTG-XTG with the second XTG in the opposite direction of the first XTG.

10. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

One more work shave. I didn't feel well today so I decided to use truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes shaving cream. I dabbed about a pea sized bit on my face and lathered it with my Semogue boar. I absolutely love the smell. It's a sweet tangy lime smell and I can still smell it 30 min and nivea sensitive post shave balm later. I decided to try the Gillette slide on my neck XTG instead of a regular ATG pass. My Schick G1 must have liked what I did because I am wearing a 2 pass BBS with no touchups and only one weeper on my mustache area. I blame the shakes I have from the migraine for that one. No other irritation. I think I have the Schick dialed in almost perfectly now. I'm going to have to take it out of my bag and add the Gem bullet tip so I can dial that one in as well. Next month will be tech razors so I'm enjoying my amazing SE shaves this month. The techs don't like my face and I anticipate blood that even @NCoxSTL and Crazy Ivan would shudder at.

11. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1953 (Y3) Tech
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Proraso Sandalwood cream
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Shave #2 with the Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds) in my birthday Tech. A near BBS shave.
    Face lathered, then did 2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG on my face and XTG on my neck (wings to center today). Pass 2: ATG. A solid DFS at this point. Did a cold water rinse followed by a few rounds of targeted touch ups in my problem areas and thought that I had caught the baby. The Aqua Velva screamed at me for a bit, then cooled off. Unfortunately, once the AS dried, the baby was gone.

Another 99% BBS from the Tech and the Personna Platinum. Even though I went over my trouble spots repeatedly and almost to the point of irritation, it was not to be today. I'm going to move the blade into my second Tech for tomorrow to see if it is this razor or just the blade/Tech combination that is less than optimal for me.

I hope everyone has a great Lord’s Day!

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    September 20, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Mongoose B3 Dr. Bomber Handle
    Blade: Feather Professional
    Lather: Knockout Shave Cotton
    Brush: Omega 10098
    Aftershave: RazoRock Baby Blue
    Great shave. KO Shave never lets me down. Baby blue is very nice on a Sunday morning. I must admit I look forward for October so I can work on my Gillette Super Speed and Aristocratic. I may even throw in an open comb. My theme will continue to be 3 passes and out. Oh, I'll be using the Mongoose a lot through out the month. I'll never go more than a couple of shaves without it.
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE
    image.jpeg

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I don't know, it takes a lot to make us shudder. But I'll be awaiting the results! Hopefully you can tame the Techs and bend them to your will!

Drygulch, Rufus T., crb81 and 4 others like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor A: Ever-Ready 1914 WW1 SE
    Razor B: Merkur 34 C
    Blade A: Gem Blue Star SE (5)
    Blade B: Feather (5)
    Brush: Fendrihen Silver Tip Badger Black Faux Handle 22/49
    Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
    A/S: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
    Yesterdays Shave: Didn't post it. :o Day 19
    Another great shave tonight with the Ever-Ready 1914 SE. Cleaned up with the 34C and all is good. The Captain's Choice products are good value. Can't wait to try TSD Bay Rum soap and after shave tomorrow for Shave Den Sunday. Heavy rain here tonight so indoor picture.
    9 19 15.jpg

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Crazy Ivan in SEptember!
    September 20

Razor - Gillette 1918 Old Style
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Proraso

Why yes, that is the Rimei blade you still see there. Curiosity wouldn't be satisfied until I tried it in a different setup. After all, producing a good shave in the cheap and mild Rimei razor was a surprise, but was it a fluke based on that razor? How would the blade handle a more aggressive razor? Inquiring minds, well my mind anyway, have to know!!! So, the question is, what razor? The Edwin Jagger DE89l is a bit more aggressive but still not a beast. None of the techs seem appropriate, the Schick Kronos another milder razor, superspeeds? Nope. Ah, the RazoRock TTO. It's more aggressive than most of its type so I'll.....wait a minute......that's still a wimpy choice. The 1918. Yep, that's the one. An aggressive old timer that loves to put you to the test. Great razor if you can wield it, but unforgiving if you get sloppy. And, with the blade sitting on my face like it does with that one the Rimei will be exposed if it's really a crap blade.

Chose the Pro 48 and Proraso. Back to my basic setup for that. I trust the lather every time and the menthol and eucalyptus smell makes you not care so much about the bloody spots. So, here we go.

My expectation was that it would be a bit uncomfortable, but the 1918 can do that. Some blades are better with it than others, and I just can't believe a Chinese blade can be good in it. First pass WTG and I had changed my mind. Definitely the aggressive feel of the '18 but the blade did a great job cutting with very little noticeable drag. And, the first pass result was good. XTG on the second pass and again that aggressive feel but no tugging, no drag to speak of and I finished that pass with a DFS. No reason to tempt fate with an ATG or any G-slide work. It's a good enough shave and that's all I need today. Surprisingly the Rimei blade did a remarkably good job in the Old Style and that makes my day. Never thought I'd find any Chinese blade that could step work that well.

I'm not planning on stocking up on this blade because there are better options out there, for me anyway. But, if push ever came to shove, or I was stranded in China after the slow boat threw me off, at least I would have a go-to blade. Better that than being forced to use the Puking Pigeon.
    September 20.jpg

Keithmax, wristwatchb, crb81 and 12 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'd love to hear your opinion of the TSD Bay Rum vs. the Captain's Choice. I haven't tried any other bay rum yet besides TSD and just interested in comparisons.

wristwatchb, crb81, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Will do when I shave this afternoon.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

9/20/15
    Schick J3 with Chick blade
    TGN Synthetic
    TSD Yin Yang
    Myrsol Formula C sample

[​IMG]

Another great near BBS shave this morning. The TSD soap really is a very easy to lather and very slick. I think I've settled on my travel set up with this razor and soap. I survived the weekend motorcycle trip with my back actually in pretty good shape. Glad to be back home. I hope everyone has a blessed Sunday.

Keithmax, wristwatchb, crb81 and 12 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

G
    Good to hear your back held up on your trip. Thanks for your Shave Den Sunday post. God Bless!

wristwatchb, crb81, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Any pictures of your trip?