SEptember 2015 - Discuss SE Safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GDCarrington, Aug 30, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Due to family issues I didn't get a picture of today's kit but I will try to make up for it with my words. Maybe I'll take a quick picture this morning after I get out of work if I can stay awake long enough to remember it.

I took out my type G today and marveled at the beauty of it for a few minutes while my brush soaked and my whiskers softened under a hot towel. I loaded up my brush with Proraso white and face lathered. It took more effort to get a decent lather from it today. I think I was excited about using the injector because after I loaded up a second time it gave me its usual great lather. I laid the razor on M face riding the cap and slowly rotating the handle down towards my face until I could hear the blade cutting. It was such a natural feeling angle and the whole shave was effortless. I did a 3 pass WTG XTG and ATG and got BBS with zero irritation and only very minor touch UPS around the jawline. I was so shocked at how amazing this shave was that I decided to test it by using what I almost never use, alcohol based shave balm. I pulled out my dusty ill used tube of Gillette fusion cooling shave balm, squeezed some into my hands and, prepared for the worst, slapped it on. I felt the cooling effects of the menthol but not even a tingle from the alcohol. If the rest of this month goes half this well I may have some DE razors to sell or PIF.

2. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

all I have is a schick M45?....recently found out how awesome this thing is so I look forward a fine shaving SEptember.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Beautiful

Mustafa Onur Erdogan and vwp528 like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My SEptember shave #1
    [​IMG]

More to come I'm sure...

5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I have Schick B 2 Repeater and I really like it....I thought that they would have been a very rough ride, but I got a pleasant surprize.....They don't shave like a later injector though and they take a more skill use them like a Traditional SE....The B Type can be as Mild or aggressive as you want it to be although I would say its a very aggressive razor.....It took me more than a moment to get used to it and I haven't used it enough to be into my comfort zone with it...;)

The original blades were thicker current than ones so you may have put the head on a flat surface and gently press it down to tighten up the sprung head to hold a current blade..Two minutes job to be honest..No problem there...:p

PLEASE NOTE>>> :cool:
    The B 2 does not have any blade stops so you are essentially shaving with a Straight Edge Blade on a Stick.....You have to be carful when you are purchasing one as a lot of them have "Bent Combs" ...:)

The comb is mounted by a single post in the middle of the comb...:cool:
    [​IMG]
    Here is pic of mine here....This bar at the top is the comb ....This what you are looking for....You will see some of them have a bend in them....This cant be fixed Sir...Some people will straighten them out but a tell tale sign is always a Kink or wrinkle in the middle of the bar.....These razors are so heavy that if they are dropped it is more than likely that the Comb will be get bent.....Mine has a straight line....;)
    Any deviation from mine I would leave it alone....:chores016:

Billy

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful. I like original cases.

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Let me know how you make out with your Valet. I'm using mine for the first time also.

8. Billyfergie

I would suggest using a Gem stainless blade in that 1912 to get used to it if you have not used it before...Those Carbon SE blades don't agree with a lot of folks...;)

Billy...:chores016:

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

September 2 SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    Stirling Synthetic Brush
    TSD Lanolin Pumpkin Spice SS
    Injector Type G
    Gem Micromatic
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman VI Bay Rum AS

Had to finish up with the Gem, but I got very close to a BBS shave this morning. With the fall like weather coming (it was actually down into the 60's for an overnight low, good for SE Texas), I broke out the Pumpkin Spice and Bay Rum.

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Thanks, I may try those. You're right about the carbons, and they're going to sit this one out. They're like shaving with a sharp rock IMHO.

11. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

9/2/2015 Single Edge September/Wool Fat Wednesday!

Prep: Hot shower with Neutrogena Face Wash with menthol, home made PSO
    Razor: GEM Pushbutton, French Fau Frame Back straight razor
    Blade: GEM PTFE Coated SE blade (4)
    Brush: Turkish #6
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    After: Home made ASB
    Cologne: Prada - Amber Pour Homme Intense

It is Wool Fat Wednesday. The #6 brush whipped the MWF into a nice lather. The GEM and the Frenchy did a nice job knocking down the stubble. The Prada was a nice finish for this 2 pass Darn Fine Shave.

Have a blessed day!

IMG_20150902_082707.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Today was day two with the Valet and so far I am not a fan. I am using a new Feather blade and it feels like I am scraping the whiskers of rather than shaving. I can't find an angle that seems to work like I expect it to work. I end up with barely a close shave and some irritation.
    Any of you guys like the Valet? If so, how do you use it and what kind of performance do you get?
    Thank you.

vwp528, GDCarrington, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  14. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

My first shave of SEptember.

[​IMG]

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Beautiful razor. What kind of shaves do you get with it?

vwp528, Omaney, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  16. Billy Goatee

Great! I love the SE razors. Don't hate, but I would say better than any TTO.

vwp528, clint64, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  17. Billy Goatee

18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

P1060537(1).JPG
    My current collection of SE razors, I kinda like the rolls.

vwp528, Hodge, GDCarrington and 10 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Yeah, those Feather SE blades are the bottom of the Pits Sir....I threw all mine in the bin....Always stopped me buying a Valet....The OneBlade Razor uses these as well and it costs a fortune...;)
    Don't think so Sir...:chores016:

Billy

vwp528, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.