SEptember 2015 - Discuss SE Safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GDCarrington, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm with you on the Valet. I am having exactly the same results.

vwp528, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks Billy. This will stop me from collecting more Valets.

vwp528, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

This really helps, thanks Billy!

The one I'm looking at is a Type C, with a straight bar, not an open comb. I get the bent bar issue and this one does not appear to be bent. At the sales price, I think I can afford to have the rest of it revamped to working order.

I'm not afraid of a learning curve, and don't have to get great shaves from it, as long as I can develop the technique to get a good shave. I try to be a minimalist when traveling and this looks like it could fit the bill nicely.

Thanks all, more to come.
    RT

4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

September 2, 2015

Single-Edge SEptember
    Injectors and perhaps a GEM

During this first week, my first with injectors, I’ll look to familiarize myself with them by starting with one that has been described as mild and perhaps move to experiment with others along the aggressiveness spectrum. I’ll be doing SEs all month.

Hot Shower, Morning Shave
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Brush: Omega Pro 48
    Razor: Schick Eversharp Type J3 Golden 500
    Blade: Schick Injector (China) (3)
    TSD Witch Hazel
    Aftershave Cream: Proraso
    After Shave: Proraso Green

08-31-15 J3.JPG

Third shave with the J3 - "Golden 500.” Two-pass shave (WTG / ATG). Strict focus on angle, pressure, grip.

In my limited use of this razor, three shaves, I’ve found it to be a keeper for me. All three shaves have been two-pass excellent shaves. I’d imagine that with more than a days’ stubble I’d have to consider a 3-pass shave, but that’s not an issue for me.

If there’s any drawback, it may be the length of the handle. I find that if I grip towards the far end and stick to minimal pressure - the head actually tended to fall away from my skin!…which can get a bit out of hand as the design really encourages me to zip it around my face. So I tend to choke up on the handle, force myself to be deliberate and all is well. I’ll be moving to the I2 tomorrow. I’ve been told it has the same head as the J series, so it will be interesting to experiment with the shorter handle.

BTW - I really like the cleaning mechanism of the Hydro-magic razor.

Also, first time with an extended use of the Proraso products. The lather building is every bit as good as Arko, IMHO, and shaves / protects just as well. And SWMBO really likes the scent so it’s a keeper.

Cheers!
    RT

clint64, vwp528, Bama Samurai and 8 others like this.
  5. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

The 1912 Gem w/ Parade handle got the call today. Same great result as the Schick B yesterday. The Vintage Williams Barbers Bar is great slick soap.
    [​IMG]

clint64, vwp528, Bama Samurai and 9 others like this.
  6. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

My B is a little different from yours. The comb is held in place by bars at the end of the comb. Here are the photos. No blade stops and the blade fits perfectly.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vwp528, Rufus T., dscaver and 4 others like this.
  7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Great stuff guys.
    I wish I had a photo for you all to see the one I'm considering. But I'll send it along when I get it...perhaps next week.
    Thanks!

clint64, vwp528, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah, thanks for that Sir...Its a lovely example as well...:chores016:
    Billy

clint64, vwp528, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

;);););)The Miraculous Safety Razor....;)
    [​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine....:p

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
    Miraculous Safety Razor
    Gem Stainless (Modified) Se Blade (New)
    Semogue Classic 208 Boar Brush
    Alphy & Becs Natural Shaving Soap - With Jojoba Oil - Vitamin E
    Organic Aloe Vera Gel
    LOGONA Man Aftershave Balm (From Germany)

I had my Maiden shave with my Miraculous Safety Razor tonight with a modified Gem blade....I was in for a surprize with this SE as it makes a Gem OCMM feel like a Pussy Cat in terms of cutting power and aggression ...It is very user friendly though and very smooth....I cut down 2 days of whiskers like they were not there with one WTG Pass & one ATG pass....I ended up with a very nice shave....The only issue is that because it has no blade stops as such as they act as sort of guards because I am using a thinner blade they don't offer as much protection form the edge of the blade....Wasn't a problem though....;)
    I am seriously impressed with this thing...:chores016:

Billy

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    clint64, vwp528, Bird Lives and 8 others like this.
  10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I shaved with a Schick Injector, this was from a Twin Injector pack but I used a NOS Platinum Plus. It glided smoothly over my face as usual, but I used a PII to tidy up afterwards. So may not be as close as the Ted Pella's I am use to...

clint64, vwp528, Rufus T. and 4 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

I am surprized at that Sir as I find that the Schick Plats are very sharp compared to Personna blades because that's who makes the Pella ones as well...Sometimes you can get an odd NOS blade that's perhaps lost its edge with age .....:chores016:

Billy

12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have always assumed the Ted Pella's to be sharper than standard Personna's as they are meant for Microtome purposes, but it's just an assumption. I have a pack of Personna's but I haven't tried them.

clint64, vwp528, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That's the razor I'm using this week. SWMBO says this morning, "I can hear that thing scraping your face from out here". It is loud.

clint64, vwp528, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I had a choice of blades, but I went with NOS Plus Platinum. I will try another type as I am trying to keep to the Injector for SEptember.

[​IMG]

clint64, vwp528, dscaver and 7 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Personna make the Pella blades for sure Sir....Ted Pella and Personna do make the same blades for medical/Lab purpose working closely together, but the ones that are finished for shaving are all made by Personna....;)
    Says as much on the Pella website Sir....:chores016:

Billy

clint64, vwp528, Rufus T. and 2 others like this.
  16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

After Energizer purchased ASR, all Personna's where meant to be even sharper. I would imagine they can make injector blades very sharp, perhaps surgically sharp. Just as a blade designed to cut carpet can be dull.

clint64, vwp528 and Jayaruh like this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For September 3rd:
    Razor - Schick G
    Brush - Black Handled Omega Professional 10049
    Blade - 1960s Vintage Personna Vydax Coated Stainless
    Soap - The Soap Exchange Barber Shoppe

[​IMG]

(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66 - Nat King Cole 1946

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  18. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Had one of the best shaves ever this morning. I concentrated on blade angle and tried a XTG 2nd pass that left my face oh so smooth, even 12 hrs later.

Roderick, clint64, vwp528 and 9 others like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lovely razor!

Herm2502, clint64, vwp528 and 3 others like this.
  20. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I had my second shave with the Schick type G. I could tell that the blade wasn't new but other then one spot right above my top lip where i rushed some, I had yet again, a great shave. I used Proraso green in a tub, my Semogue boar brush new production Schick blade, 2nd day, and finished it up with Nivia sensitive post shave balm. I neglected any preshave treatment at all because I shaved half of my girlfriends leg with my superspeed while my brush was soaking. I used the same Proraso soap but I used a peerless nylon bristle brush since it didn't need any soaking time. She was amazed at how comfortable and smooth it left her leg so she may end up stealing my superspeed from me.

clint64, Jayaruh, vwp528 and 7 others like this.