September 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Single Edge Plans?

1. Gems baby! 1912, 1914, Lather Catcher

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Some more Gems baby! OCMM, Clog Pruf, you know.....the Micromatics.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Schick Injectors baby! Click 'em and stick 'em to your face for that close shave.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Shavettes baby! Because I'm a boss like that!

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Dark Side baby! Straights. The original single edge.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. Gonna eat cookies until my ears bleed. Mmmmmm.....cookies.

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  7. Nope. Not playing with the SE's. I'm cool enough I'll stick with DE!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Buzz off Mr. Poll Man. I don't have time for your foolishness.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you, Charlie!
    Thanks Clint!

PLAla, clint64, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Clint, how does the OREN compare with the OneBlade? Both razors seem to provide you with great shaves and are super cool looking. Obviously, the OREN lacks the pivoting head and uses a different blade.

Edison Carter, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Stay strong my friend! (or not, I wouldn't blame you!)

Edison Carter, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thank you, Clint.

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much. :happy088:

6. Screwtape

Lovely warm tones to the photo, as usual, Jason. Glad to hear both nostrils survived intact today!

Nice razor, Andrew, and useful tips on your honing/stropping technique in case I ever cave in and fall to the Dark Side again...

You always have such great looking razors, Brian!

Fabulous photo today, Doug! Also enjoyed the background on the cocobolo wood -- I have never looked it up to see what it was, I just assumed it was some kind of mahogany.

Well, the report isn't up to your usual standards, Joseph, though we'll forgive you considering that it's your birthday and we can't expect you to entertain us ALL the time. The photo is great though.

jtspartan, Primotenore, RyX and 7 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

Congrats Jason! This shave beats yesterday's by a nose. ;) Your old school SOTD photos are a highlight of my day, and I hope you heal quickly.

I wish I had a nickel for every shaving gotcha on the bottom of my nose. I have to really work at it to get a smooth shave on my upper lip, and sometimes I slip up. On the positive side, for years I had this little raised mole on my jaw...gone, baby, gone.

jtspartan, RyX, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

And now, a sad update-Rudy, the Dentist Boxer had to be put down due to a major illness a few months ago. The office(and I'm told, many patients-including me-miss him). He was 11. My last memory of Rudy was seeing him with his head on my knee during a routine cleaning. He was doing just what he was there to do..provide comfort. I'm told the dentist isn't sure about getting another dog, but a decision will be made in the spring.

RyX, Edison Carter, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Thank you, John!

PLAla and jluc like this.
  10. wristwatchb

The tide has recently changed from bay rum scents to Stirling soap. If I didn't have 5 years worth of soap, I might take the plunge when Logan and Declan are out of college. (I've got nearly two full containers of MdC, and @Keithmax is the only guy that I've ever seen use up a full container.) The only version of Stirling I've used is the unscented (Naked and Smooth), and it was pretty good.

11. Paul Turner

A nd now ANOTHER company to look up(Craftsman......classic name).

RyX, PLAla, jluc and 2 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Naked&Smooth became part of Nomination #2 for the Stoylin Tony Awards.

PLAla, Linuxguile, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

I'm so sorry to hear this, Paul. Rudy's passing will be a tremendous loss to many. I can't think of a more appropriate place to have a therapy dog proving comfort than a dentist's office.

RyX, Edison Carter, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  14. Screwtape

Condolences to you and everyone else that enjoyed Rudy's company, Paul.

RyX, PLAla, jluc and 3 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

Once you're out of @wchnu's will like me and @Primotenore, you're free to speak your mind. Carry on.

jtspartan, Primotenore, RyX and 6 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent question Charlie. The OneBlade is heavier and better finished. Really it should be at 4 times the price. The OREN uses the Feather Artist Club blades that I feel are some of the most consistently good blades made. Depending on the blade used, Pro or Super, the OREN can have a good bit of blade feel. The razor is designed to allow the blade to move or float some. This makes the shave very forgiving with the Super while being exceptionally efficient. I find it to be another level more efficient that the Mongoose B2 with a Super Pro blade. However, it is more forgiving given the lighter weight and floating blade. The handle is very secure when wet. As you can tell, I really like the razor. The biggest downside is the looks. I wish it looked better but I can't argue with the way it works. I will likely add the black OREN to the den at some point.

As I mentioned earlier, let me finish up this week and send you the razor. You can then try it head to head with the Mongoose.

jtspartan, Screwtape, RyX and 5 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

That's a very helpful comparison, Clint. Thanks for the offer, and yes I would be interested in doing a side-by-side comparison. Thank you!

jtspartan, RyX, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

That's a wonderful set up, Doug. I just love that brush. The Cocobolo wood handle is one of my favorites. Congrats on the new handle for your Mongoose. Do you notice an improvement in the shaves you're getting from the Goose?

Edison Carter, PLAla, jluc and 2 others like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

John, thanks for letting us in on your real life and trusting the community here to let you be you. I'm a firm believer that true friends are to join together in grief and in celebration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Screwtape, clint64, jluc and 7 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sock Puppet Account; Nom de plume, pseudonym, or false name used to troll internet forums.

Funny if done well, but often abused by ex-members that have been banninated. I could check up on it to see if the one person was sending messages from the same computer. Better to let the mystery stay unsolved.
    Sherlock Holmes.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.