September 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Single Edge Plans?

1. Gems baby! 1912, 1914, Lather Catcher

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Some more Gems baby! OCMM, Clog Pruf, you know.....the Micromatics.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Schick Injectors baby! Click 'em and stick 'em to your face for that close shave.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Shavettes baby! Because I'm a boss like that!

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Dark Side baby! Straights. The original single edge.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. Gonna eat cookies until my ears bleed. Mmmmmm.....cookies.

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  7. Nope. Not playing with the SE's. I'm cool enough I'll stick with DE!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Buzz off Mr. Poll Man. I don't have time for your foolishness.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:
    :thanks:

Norcalnewb, brit, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

We made it back home after a very long weekend. I apologize for not commenting individually over the weekend. As usual the shaves and photos were fantastic. I enjoyed following along while we were out of town.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 30,2018

No Shave Day.

[​IMG]

SEptember 2018 Recap
    [​IMG]
    Another month in the books. Single Edge September is one of my favorite theme months of the year. I really enjoy using SE razors since they deliver first rate shaves. I had a couple of big take aways for the month. The first was The SOC mixed knot brush which I used most of the month. With 27 shaves the brush is just about fully broken in and is a real pleasure to use face lathering. I also picked up a used Blackland Sabre Lvl 2 razor and was able to use it 9 times during the month. I have found it to be a very smooth and efficient razor. Lastly, Perry sent me sample of Stirling Bay Rum and I bought the Stirling R4L set. Both scents worked out well for me. I will likely add a few more Stirling scents next year.

As usual the best part of the month was following along and participating in the thread. It was nice to see some of the newer faces really begin to master their technique. It was also a pleasure to see so many members of the 30 day crew work toward becoming more healthy. You guys will eventually shame me into dropping a some weight. However, the best part of the month remains the friendship and camaraderie exhibited on this thread is a true joy. I look forward to participating in OCtober.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great summary, Clint! Welcome back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, Screwtape, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

Norcalnewb, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great Summary, Clint!

7. Screwtape

Sunday September 30

Pre: wash with Hendrix Classics bar soap
    Merkur 34C / Astra SP (4)
    Supply Provision Co. Silvertip Fibre 24mm synthetic brush
    Hendrix Classics Barbershop soap
    Hendrix Classics Barbershop balm test sample

I was invited out for dinner tonight with my sister's family to celebrate my niece's 17th birthday. So I did today's shave just beforehand.

Not much to say: I did an extra pass tonight for three passes to a BBS. The coldcream type balm rubbed in smoothly without leaving any sense of a film on my face, and I left the house feeling clean, smoothshaven and refreshed.

I ditched the Astra tonight to start the week and the month with all fresh new blades. One thing I noticed when I opened the razor and then doublechecked the brushes I've used lately -- no film. Some soaps and creams leave a bit of white film behind on your equipment, which really annoys some users. The Hendrix Classics & Co. soap doesn't seem to do this.

SEptember was a good month for shaves. On the SE side, I did nothing with my Gem-style razors. Well, I did swap a couple of them to someone who is using them more than I did, but I'm not sure that is exactly what is intended by an SE shave month...:). However, I got almost an entire month with injectors -- Schick E2, PAL Adjustable and Supply Co V.2 -- and enjoyed an unbroken string of great shaves with them all. Well, almost...there was that one dreadful day when I drew a drop of blood and fainted at the gory sight...:(

At the end of the month, I fell off the SE wagon when my new-to-me Merkur 34C arrived and I finished with 4 great DE shaves.

Speaking of falling off wagons, I departed NB'18 in September and have had to pay up on a bet with Neal @NCoxSTL... :(

For Stirling September, I used my Stirling Naked and Smooth unscented soap. It's the first time I have used it much (enough to get it properly dialled in and working anyway) and I was really impressed with its slickness when correctly applied. Enough so that I just placed an order for Iced Pineapple and Vanilla Bean Espresso tubs and splashes, a sample of the Mutton formula Scots Pine Sheep, and four splash samples to test other scents...

It was quite a change from my first September in 2015 when I had blood everywhere from a Fatboy on #2 and a Schick L z-- before I joined the 30DC in October to learn how to lather and shave.

See you all in October.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I’m way too far behind to catch up on the thread. If anyone finished any soaps besides @mrchick and @Keithmax please send me a message so I can add you to my list.

clint64, Edison Carter, RyX and 6 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

SEptember is a Stirling month!

September 30
    Razor - Type E Schick Injector
    Blade - [​IMG]
    Soap - Stirling Iced Coffee
    Brush - Stirling Two Banded Synthetic
    Finish - Alum

Well, here it is. The final shave of SEptember. I decided to close it out with the Type E Schick and one more run with the Iced Coffee from Stirling. Two passes, a bit of touch up, near BBS and that marvelous menthol feel and dark roast aroma. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks to all of you for a great SEptember! For those of you who felt like it was tough to keep up there's a reason for that. This was the busiest September in the group since it began. And by busiest I mean by quite a bit! 2017 was the top SEptember before this one and we finished with 2636 posts. We're past 3000 and still a bit of time to put a few more up. It wouldn't happen without all of you and your support, your pictures, your chattiness and your just being all around awesome guys to hang out with. See you in OCtober!!

September 30 2018.jpg

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Not that I wanted you to fall off the NB, but without that I'd be short half a brush. Part of OCtober for me will be setting that knot in the handle (first time I will have made my own brush, or should I say assemble my own) and giving it a go!

clint64, Edison Carter, RyX and 6 others like this.
  11. Screwtape

Well, I would certainly hate for you to be half a brush short, Neal! :)

clint64, BaylorGator, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am back!!!

To summarize the last two weeks I took 4 co-workers and 3 11-year-old boys on the great American adventure.

First stop was SF and there was on shaving related tour, Alcatraz. In the intake and in some of the cells were shaving brushes.

IMG_5427.jpg IMG_5413.jpg

Fun tours around the city, the hardest part was explaining the 'Beat Musueam'.

Next stop 4 days of camping and hiking in Yosemite with 40-pound packs. The scenery was fantastic but I think I am getting to old for this craziness. I did not shave, nor shower for 4 days. I brought along a feather DX to remove the growth. That is the longest period of not shaving in 17 years.

IMG_5528.jpg

Next, we spent the night in Death Valley.

IMG_5554.jpg

and then finally Las Vegas
    IMG_5616.jpg

During the trip I was using an Ikon Tech with Feather blades. Once I got home it was nice to shave with my PRC kamisori and get an epic shave. First shave home:

Irritation A+ Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: PRC Western grind Kami
    Strop: Kanayama
    Brush: Thäter 2 band
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: AoS
    AS: Speick AS, Stirling ASB
    Scent: AdP Colonia

IMG_7559.jpg

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome back, Keith! Great picture!

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Glad you enjoyed the trip, Clint. Excellent wrap up!

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

What a great trip, Keith! I'm glad you're back with us.

clint64, Keithmax, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Terrific trip, Keith! Thanks for sharing.

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great progress John!

18. Screwtape

Keith, it sounds like a great trip and an even better return home! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Norcalnewb, clint64, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

I find with a lot of activities that my improvement is so gradual, I don't even really notice it happening. It's only when I look back over a longer period that I can see how far I have actually come. Shaving is no exception.

Keithmax, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

With Keith checking in, we close this chapter of The 30 DC.
    See y'all in OCtober!

Keithmax, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.