September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yess indeed. Keep the old stuff running!

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Stirling Soap Single edge Stainless Steel Straight September

Extra fine shave today. Took plenty time to relax and enjoy the full monty. For a golfer, this would be that tee shot, long, sufficient height, slight draw, 250 yards, dead in the middle, no effort. Yup, that one that keeps you coming back for more just like it.

When I started, Proraso Preshave was part of my routine. These days I consider it a luxury. Great menthol eucalyptus. Just use a little bit at the very beginning. No better pre-shave in my book.

Used the Stirling Badger to whip up a smooth lather, just over to the sloshy side. The Blue Ming was there to help out. Like I first saw Glen do in one of his videos, I lathered up before stropping.

Stropped 15 on the denim, then 30 on the horsehide side of the Rasoir Sabre strop.

As I'd seen Glen do, I applied a hot terrycloth right on top of the lather, then relathered.

Have not used the stainless steel Dovo En Vogue with the ivory colored mycarta scales much. I'm not sure why. Maybe too much stuff. Delivered a very comfortable 3.5 pass shave. A hefty piece that handles great.

Nice tingle from the alum (another thing I don't use as much anymore). Left it on as I clean and dry my gear, then wash off. I found alum can be an irritant for me later in the day.

Proraso menthol aftershave is my favorite post shave. I use a very small amount regularly while I finish cleaning an a short easy stropping to make sure my edge is clean.

Finished up with the matching Stirling Tuscany. A gentle sweet, floral, powdery scent that would be considered a unisex fragrance. It would be objectionable to some on that point, but I got my 'man card' sufficiently punched up to use it.

Be well, have a great day gang!

20190907_162154-1.jpeg

AlDm, Terry, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Clint!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

4. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Nice job, you should be proud! A friend of mine's husband is seriously into old tractors, John Deeres especially, and I was going to suggest that to her for a birthday, Christmas, etc. Oh well..........It still looks nice!

Terry, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 9 others like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Haven't had time to read the 72 posts since I took a well needed nap.
    So..
    Hello everyone and good Sunday morning.
    Went to my GEM razor stash and decided to use a really underutilized Junior today.
    Been so long that I forgot how this junior shaves. Unlike the brass juniors, it feels like one of my MMOC's. 2 passes with this bad boy is all that's needed. Not quite as smooth as 4 with a brass junior but very close to say the least. My neck is complaining about the last 2 days, but it will be fine in a day or two. 2 passes on the gord, there has been a small something trying to raise it's head up since I cut some pasteboard at work last week. The stuff bothers me, sneezing, breaking out and the like. Anyway it's been flattened and will fall away into history.
    For those who might have missed that I like brass GEM Juniors, I took a picture of the one I used today, the silver one, with the others standing guard.
    While I was in the big city yesterday I stopped at a barber shop used car place that sells some barber supplies. Yes you can buy a used car and get a hair cut and a shave. ?? The people who work there were great, really nice folks. I wouldn't buy a car there, but I would most certainly get a hair cut and shave there, if I needed one. Anyway, I got this little cheap brush for 3 bucks. Tried it out today, for travel use. Worked like a 3 dollar brush would be expected to work, but it did the job ok.

20190908_100108.jpg
    All other things being the same I'm ready for a short, hopefully relaxing day.
    All
    Enjoy
    tp

AlDm, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 12 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What an exciting adventure you had yesterday!! Y'know, by the time you read your 72, another 72 will creep up. :). Great shave choices.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful shave report and lineup Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very nice Terry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. brit

brit in a box

20190908_072937_edited.jpg good morning gentlemen. safety september sunday shave .i hope everyone is well and getting rest..up early today as i fell asleep early ..out came the trusty #58 aristocrat jr as some call it,one of gillette's prettiest and sought after razors.its a rocket hd with the fancier handle.i m quite ok with that..in went a spoiler blade with a couple of miles on it.loaded the ej shave cup with cella and got a fantastic lather with the semogue 830 boar..2 wonderfully smooth combination passes and some minor pick ups and a bbs was the prize..awesome shave..fine santal absolute to finish..awesome again..have a great day gents..

AlDm, Terry, Paul Turner and 11 others like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Cool set!

Terry, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That's a wonderful set-up and shave, Bill! The Dovo straight is gorgeous!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  12. Trigger

Nice shave,Terry! That's a nice SE display!

Terry, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  13. Trigger

It's a Christmas theme in Sept! Great shave and pic, Gary!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful burst of color Gary. Gorgeous.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 8, 2019
    O.R.E.N. with 2 Dot Plate
    Feather Pro
    Wild West Brushworks with Tuxedo
    TOBS Mr. Taylor’s Shave Cream
    Dominica Grand Bay Rum

[​IMG]

I got to sleep in this morning for some much needed rest. The last day with the OREN before moving onto other SE razors. The big WWB Tuxedo whipped up the Mr Taylor's cream into a mountain of rich slick lather. Three passes and touch ups ended in another drama free BBS shave. The potato peeler looks strange but it flat delivers superb shaves. A splash of Dominica Grand Bay Rum left me smelling great and clean shaven. Other than a hair cut this afternoon, I have nothing on the agenda but relaxing. I hope everyone has a fantastic Sunday.

AlDm, Terry, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Football is back. My wife's sooo happy, insert sarcasm here.
    Totally inspired shave, credit to 30dc,brush of the day, deb, menthol Monday, se and injector, stirling exchange threads.
    I used
    Custom boar brush, with matching soap mug.
    Stirling vanilla sandalwood
    Hussy
    Persona injector blade
    Iced pinaud vanilla
    Totally odd shave. The brush feels like a christmas tree ornament. I'm completely scared it will break tinkling it on the mug, or get knocked off the counter. It is soo odd, i use it very sparingly. But other than losing a bristle, it did fine scooping some of the half moon piece of stirling goodness from the bottom of its counterpart. The shave went okay, it's an odd little handle-less razor. To have all those grip lines, seems odd not th know where to put your fingers, lol. But results are hard to argue with, and I'm sticky smooth. I finished with an over iced pinaud vanilla. I think menthol temporarily blurs my vision (theory of discusion).
    All in all, I'll be massaging my mug for the next 8 football hours.
    Hope y'all did as well, or better. 20190908_120234_resized.jpg

AlDm, Terry, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

September SE Diversion; Unknown Slant

Frankensoap in a sugar bowl
    B-400 by @twhite / Tuxedo
    Suribachi bowl and cool water
    Unknown Slant on Maggard #18SS
    Fresh Voskhod blade; о, радость!
    Skipped the post shave products
    SOTD 09082019 ABT#4.gif
    Same ole soap of goodness, a favorite brush fitted with a super synth knot, cool water and that textured bowl = lather of known properties. The cap and base fitted on an all purpose, heavy, and heavily knurled long handle received a fresh piece of Russian steel. It's a new-to-me slant and it offers quite the blade exposure. I have no idea who made it but I think I like it! The scalloped guard bar and cap allowed residual lather for buffing. Three passes, no extra fiddling. no errors, and a DFS result. Decided to forego post shave splash to see how the soap of oddities treats my skin. With no irritation or nicks I'm feeling good so far, but kind of miss the aromatherapy.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

AlDm, Terry, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd bet it's a razorock german 37. Here's mine... 20190908_123140_resized.jpg

AlDm, Terry, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Y'all have Frankensoap in Canada? Glad to know. Sometimes it's difficult to get stuff through Customs. I'm still rocking mine and see no end in sight.
    Hot Diggity! That's a Singularity Event. Before getting to this point you were shaving but there was a hope for the future. Now that you've crossed the hilltop those techniques you've discovered are yours until the next obstacle presents itself.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The brass head model is what I call my favorite 1912. I have a few from G3 military sets with that bakelite handle. I actually think they pretty much all shave alike but I do have favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.