September 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Aug 31, 2021.

?

Will SEptember be your month to feature your SE razors?

1. Absolutely! Best shaves ever.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I might break out an SE or two.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. SEptember to me means SElect and uSE SEveral SEt-ups

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 100% of my shaves are accomplished by a single edge (one edge at a time)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. I will only eat SEmprong, SEsame and SEven Layer cookies this month

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

RR Hawk V3 OC
    Schick Proline (1)
    Semogue BC Mistura 22mm
    MWF
    Alum

I have been using SE razors for just over 10 years (July 1, 2011 was my first SE shave), but I did not try an Artist Club razor until a few months ago. I picked up a used example of the Standard plate Hawk and enjoyed it enough that I got the Aggressive and Open Comb heads as well. The Aggressive has been my regular shaver since May, but the OC head gives me cut issues. The shave this morning was largely successful. Lather was good and the blade was fresh. It was 2 passes and super close. I had a minor bit of irritation accentuated by the Alum block and clipped a small pimple on my neck which I didnt see or feel until too late. It didn't bleed much but there was still a slight amount to let me know that I got myself. These RR Hawks shave close enough that I do not need to shave every day. This month I will force myself to slow down and pay attention to the shave instead of rushing through to get out the door. I am hoping that if I dial in my technique with the OC, it will consistently give me great shaves without any annoying cuts.

Enjoy your day.

brit, IAmTheJody, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20210831_211342.jpg
    Yaqi Excalibur on a shortened Maggard MR7.
    Feather Professional Artist Club blade.
    Delrin handle Brush with synthetic knot.
    Pinaud Clubman shave soap.
    Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion

I decided to start the month out with some Clubman. The soap whipped up very nice and was very slick.

Three very nice passes with the Yaqi. The blade is getting a little tuggy and is getting binned.

I think I'm going to focus on my Artist Club style razors this month......Hawks and Occam's. I may even focus on my Razorock soaps this month as well.

Take care everyone!

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Happy Anniversary, Gary!

brit, Hembree, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  4. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Yes, it is logical that extended periods with one tool increases familiarity. I’ve done that repeatedly over the years, and have found that the thickness and rigidity of the GEM blade is just too much for my skin. The Type I injector is the mildest of my 3 SEs, and I can use it effectively for many days in a row. But tbh, I don’t get much joy from SE shaves. I’m definitely a DE shaver at heart. That said, I will definitely be sticking with my commitment to alternate formats for the month. Blade life is a non issue for me. I change them out frequently.

jtspartan, brit, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

C5C2C6EF-4FEF-4A9B-94CA-C29DD852223F.jpeg

SE Shave # 210 - Williams Wednesday

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Schick-Injector Type G
    Blade: Persona Injector (10)
    Brush: Hembree Derlin Paragon Boar 25 mm
    Lather: Williams Mug Soap
    Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Nivea Cool Balm
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original

I decided for the month of September to focus on SE shaves. Although most of my shaves are of the straight razor variety I plan on adding a few month GEMS and injectors into the equation. I will continue to focus on my den reduction with the 1508.5 Project using the Ginger’s Garden Obsession Type soap. On the non Project days I will throw in a few samples for Samples September.

This morning I decided to go old school classic with the Williams, boar brush, the Type G injector and AV for the finish. I have found that I receive fantastically close shaves with my injectors. I have two. Three passes resulted in a silent alum report with phenomenal smoothness. The AV finished off the shave nicely.
    Hope you all have a great day gentlemen.

oh yeah, Joe, @Trigger, get your pontoon boat ready.

SRQShaver, jtspartan, brit and 6 others like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Patience my friend…
    A8F5BC10-0F9E-43D6-813B-F00D4503239E.jpeg
    I am sure with an improved technique focusing on the reduction of speed you will dial in the OC.

brit, Hembree, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Sounds like a wonderful plan Danny. Great shave this morning.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I opened the month the same way I closed the last. Central Texas Soaps Down At The River for the shave. Success all around :).CTS is one of my favorites. I have a long way to go before purchasing another, as I have 2 more of 'em for the fall and winter. Have to be careful swirling that brush around(for this shave, it was the Stoylin Pro-Handle), as it brings up a lot of the soap quickly. 2 passes. No trouble. Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue to finish it off. Clean, refreshed, and ready to tackle the day. :).

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nice!

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Great shave and a great plan, Dale!

11. Trigger

Very, very nice shave Danny.

12. Trigger

Nice one Joe! See you Friday at the MSD at about 9:30am.

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    SEptember
    [​IMG]
    AoS Sandalwood~~dubl duck #4~~Feather AC~~Christian Dior Leather Oud
    Hello 30DC participants!
    My plan this month is to stick with straight razors and my single AC.
    I know, a straight isn't "technically" a SE razor, but I don't own a traditional SE razor,
    the straights will have to suffice.
    30 days away from a straight and I was rusty. Rusty, but careful and focussed,
    so there were no mishaps. Missed catching the baby, but I was not interested in giving pursuit.
    Picked up this 10ml decant of an original formulation of:
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.52.07.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.54.25.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.51.57.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.54.35.png
    This juice comes out swinging. The initial oud-blast is powerful,
    but give it about 30 minutes and your senses are treated to a magnificent,
    Italian-leather scent.
    If you are familiar with Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, this juice
    is almost the same, except there's no raspberry in the Dior.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    jtspartan, brit, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Nice to see you back with your straights, Joseph!

15. Trigger

Sept 1 SOTD

Good Morning!

Shavette Shave #300
    Dovo
    Personna Hairshaper Blade (8)
    Mr EE Tuxedo Brush
    Stirling Blood on Steel TSD 30DC 2019 SS and AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's WH
    Whiskers: 1 day

20210901_111216.jpg
    I decided to open this month with a milestone shavette shave of #300 with my very first shavette. I thought it would be appropriate to use my Dovo shavette for this notable occasion. I have been keeping my brush super wet to wet my face before I load it. I don't squeeze out whatever excess there is because most of it is on my face. Yes, the lather does get frothy, but I use it as a preshave on my face. I continue to repeat the cycle of adding soap and lathering my face until I get the lather that I desire. It is uber hydrated and is very creamy. Most shavers want a high structure lather, but I prefer my way because it works for me. I will be trying to deep six this soap so I will continue to use it this month. Two passes, plus minor pickups gave me a nice, BBS shave. Got some feedback from the alum on my neck, but it was not crazy. Finished with the witch hazel and the wonderful, matching aftershave. Take care.

jtspartan, brit, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  16. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great Hawk shave, Dale! I agree that AC razors do seem to be more efficient. Good to have you joining us. Looking forward to hearing more on your Hawk shaves.

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Sounds great, Danny! Dale (@PanChango) is focusing on his Hawk AC. So you guys will have something in common. Great shave!

18. jgreenepa

Happy anniversary, Gary!

19. jgreenepa

Great Type G shave, Joe! We have a tornado watch here in Chester County, PA , until 8 PM tonight. We never used to get these with the frequency we now are receiving.

20. jgreenepa

I love it, JoeC is getting right into the MOLC BRKFST Club mold! Way to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.